Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:59 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,360,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
I like the south side better. You have Disney, SeaWorld, Universal, I-DRIVE, the airport. It just has a much more "happening" vibe to it. Everything is pretty convenient down here. Oh yeah, the Convention Center, too. It doesn't take me too long to get anywhere from where I live, and the housing is much more reasonably priced for an average person.

I've been to the North side only a handful of times but I never liked the areas I went to. Also seen some really bad areas, much worse than the "bad" areas down here.
Noodles I think you were spot on as to what the benefits of living on the southside are. If this is the experience you are looking for than southside is a good choice. If you are looking for a family centered, quieter area with more established roots go for northside. But if you want both than you have to make a decision and live with it. The only true area you can find a combo of both is in the downtown core area but it comes with a hefty price tag. My point is, to those think about moving here, prioritize your values and than move depending on what's more important to you. Don't just jump in without doing the research and say "the south is too transient" or "the north is too boring."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 01:05 PM

2,130 posts, read 4,524,366 times
I've personally always thought the more northern communities (Lake Mary, Oviedo, Longwood, Altamonte Springs..) lacked entertainment options. There maybe older, established neighborhoods the closer you get to downtown, and in College Park and Winter Park, but the further north you go it just seems to be cookie-cutter suburbia again for the most part. Also, at least where I live on the south side, I'm only about 15 minutes away from downtown with no traffic... so it's the best of both worlds.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:45 PM

266 posts, read 1,163,790 times
I have lived in both (N & S) - still work in N, but live in S.
Primary motivation to relocate to the south side: cost of homes.
I am between the Vista Lakes region and Waterford Lakes - have 10 min (or less) access to the 417, 408, 528, OIA.
Wife likes it because she's only 20 minutes from Florida Mall! :-)
We experience full range of shopping - oh, and we're 50 minutes from Cocoa and the cruise terminals.
Wife works downtown Orlando - 20 minutes - even in morning traffic.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:47 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I've personally always thought the more northern communities (Lake Mary, Oviedo, Longwood, Altamonte Springs..) lacked entertainment options. There maybe older, established neighborhoods the closer you get to downtown, and in College Park and Winter Park, but the further north you go it just seems to be cookie-cutter suburbia again for the most part. Also, at least where I live on the south side, I'm only about 15 minutes away from downtown with no traffic... so it's the best of both worlds.
I agree. In places like Dr. Phillips, you've got decent schools, housing, and proximity to plenty of entertainment and restaurant options.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:18 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,070,933 times
I consider the North side to be Seminole County until Downtown namely the established area between the 408, 417, I4, and Lake Monroe.
I consider the South side to be Osceola County until Downtown
I don't include downtown Orlando and the areas very close like to be part of the North or South - its the core. That includes Ocoee, Pine Hills, Downtown, Orlovista, Azalea Park. Those are on the 'dividing' line and I just don't really consider them North or South as a result. If you were to break it on 408 or 50 I would change my opinion.

I really question peoples opinions of the South and wonder if you all are including the wonder that is Osceola County and Kissimmeee which is a strange and horrible place.

I find it very amusing to hear you say the further North you go the more Cookie Cutter you get when its actually the exact opposite. The North end of Orlando metro is Sanford one of the oldest cities in the state and with almost no subdivisions let alone cookie cutter ones. The cookie cutter neighborhoods are predominately outside of the I-4/417/408/Lake Monroe sector which is the oldest and most established part of the city.

Places like Dr. Phillips is much more based on new urbanism principles like gated subdivisions with a couple styles of homes with relatively minor variations to their design and color scheme. These places exist on the North but the North also has a substantial amount of ranch homes that are not in subdivisions, the South doesn't really have this, neither does the East and West sides outside of that I4/408 sector.

As for entertainment the big tourist spots are certainly in South but the local venues are predominately in the North. There are certainly things to do in both. There are great restaurants in both but there are far more top rates restaurants in the North.

Oh and for the record I think Mall at Millennia sucks terribly. The only places worth shopping on the South side in my opinion are Florida Mall, Prime Outlets, and Coliseum of Comics.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:54 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,608,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I consider the North side to be Seminole County until Downtown namely the established area between the 408, 417, I4, and Lake Monroe.
I consider the South side to be Osceola County until Downtown
I don't include downtown Orlando and the areas very close like to be part of the North or South - its the core. That includes Ocoee, Pine Hills, Downtown, Orlovista, Azalea Park. Those are on the 'dividing' line and I just don't really consider them North or South as a result. If you were to break it on 408 or 50 I would change my opinion.

I really question peoples opinions of the South and wonder if you all are including the wonder that is Osceola County and Kissimmeee which is a strange and horrible place.

I find it very amusing to hear you say the further North you go the more Cookie Cutter you get when its actually the exact opposite. The North end of Orlando metro is Sanford one of the oldest cities in the state and with almost no subdivisions let alone cookie cutter ones. The cookie cutter neighborhoods are predominately outside of the I-4/417/408/Lake Monroe sector which is the oldest and most established part of the city.

Places like Dr. Phillips is much more based on new urbanism principles like gated subdivisions with a couple styles of homes with relatively minor variations to their design and color scheme. These places exist on the North but the North also has a substantial amount of ranch homes that are not in subdivisions, the South doesn't really have this, neither does the East and West sides outside of that I4/408 sector.

As for entertainment the big tourist spots are certainly in South but the local venues are predominately in the North. There are certainly things to do in both. There are great restaurants in both but there are far more top rates restaurants in the North.

Oh and for the record I think Mall at Millennia sucks terribly. The only places worth shopping on the South side in my opinion are Florida Mall, Prime Outlets, and Coliseum of Comics.
When I talk about north and south Orlando I'm talking about within Orange County lines (Altamonte Springs being the exception) I'm talking about within a 10 mile radius of downtown, going north or south

As far as Osceola County and Kissimmee go, I agree that it is a strange and horrible place and I don't understand why so many people wish to lower their quality of life by living in perhaps one of the crummiest counties in the state. I live 4 miles from the Orange-Osceola line in South Orlando and I NEVER go to Kissimmee, even if to go to the Loop.

About the only time I ever go to Osceola is if I absolutely HAVE to. Whether it be a certain store, doctors appointment, or to visit good friends. Otherwise I avoid Osceola like the plague. I am willing to drive the extra distance to go shopping, dining or to the movies in Orlando or somewhere in Orange County. The venues are better and the people are better as well for the most part

All of Osceola County is irrelevant to me. It's also worth noting that per capita, Osceola County has more crime then Orange County. They also have more traffic since the only major roads are 192, OBT, Osceola, and John Young Parkway. Their school system is awful and the residents are among some of the rudest nastiest people I have ever had the displeasure of meeting

Orange County is far more established then Osceola ever will be. Osceola is almost nothing but cookie cutter subdivisions, where as Orange has some actual history

Rant about Osceola over.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:15 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,219,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
When I talk about north and south Orlando I'm talking about within Orange County lines (Altamonte Springs being the exception) I'm talking about within a 10 mile radius of downtown, going north or south

As far as Osceola County and Kissimmee go, I agree that it is a strange and horrible place and I don't understand why so many people wish to lower their quality of life by living in perhaps one of the crummiest counties in the state. I live 4 miles from the Orange-Osceola line in South Orlando and I NEVER go to Kissimmee, even if to go to the Loop.

About the only time I ever go to Osceola is if I absolutely HAVE to. Whether it be a certain store, doctors appointment, or to visit good friends. Otherwise I avoid Osceola like the plague. I am willing to drive the extra distance to go shopping, dining or to the movies in Orlando or somewhere in Orange County. The venues are better and the people are better as well for the most part

All of Osceola County is irrelevant to me. It's also worth noting that per capita, Osceola County has more crime then Orange County. They also have more traffic since the only major roads are 192, OBT, Osceola, and John Young Parkway. Their school system is awful and the residents are among some of the rudest nastiest people I have ever had the displeasure of meeting

Orange County is far more established then Osceola ever will be. Osceola is almost nothing but cookie cutter subdivisions, where as Orange has some actual history

Rant about Osceola over.
Kissimmee has great parts just as well as bad parts, just like Orlando. I find Kissimmee much, much better than Orlando. I could mirror everything you said about Orlando, too. I found Orlando to be disgusting, strange, FAKE, and you gotta be kidding me that Kissimmee has more traffic, really? Sand Lake alone takes the cake on that one. There's virtually no big difference between Kissimmee and Orlando, either. If it weren't for a county line sign you would have no idea that you were leaving Orange county.

I find it REALLY hard to imagine that Osceola has more crime "per capita" than Orlando, too.

Yep, just as I thought, more false information from your stellar Orange County public schools. So let's set the record straight. Orlando, according to the City Data crime index is DOUBLE, yes DOUBLE that of Kissimmee for at least the past 5 years. Orlando has 18.7 murders per 100,000 people in 2008, guess what Kissimmee has, oh a whopping 1.6 murders per 100,000 people. Moderator cut: name calling. If you gonna spit out lies about Kissimmee, at least do your homework first.

Last edited by Granny Sue; 05-08-2010 at 08:04 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 11:27 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,714,368 times
Quote:
Kissimmee has great parts just as well as bad parts, just like Orlando. I find Kissimmee much, much better than Orlando. I could mirror everything you said about Orlando, too. I found Orlando to be disgusting, strange, FAKE, and you gotta be kidding me that Kissimmee has more traffic, really? Sand Lake alone takes the cake on that one. There's virtually no big difference between Kissimmee and Orlando, either. If it weren't for a county line sign you would have no idea that you were leaving Orange county.

I find it REALLY hard to imagine that Osceola has more crime "per capita" than Orlando, too.
you should move out of pine hills. Orlando as a whole is not like kissmmee. I would never live in Kissimee. There is no where in kissimmee that I have seen that is anything like my part of Orlando.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:53 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,219,729 times
Kissimmee has TWO Major League Baseball spring training camps, the Astros and the Braves. It has airboat rides and a rodeo. Don't think Orlando can say much on that. Orlando has Lake Eola, while Kiss. has Lake Toho and East Lake Toho, which blow Eola outta the water. Orlando is the fakest city in Florida.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:58 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,714,368 times
Quote:
Kissimmee has TWO Major League Baseball spring training camps, the Astros and the Braves. It has airboat rides and a rodeo. Don't think Orlando can say much on that. Orlando has Lake Eola, while Kiss. has Lake Toho and East Lake Toho, which blow Eola outta the water. Orlando is the fakest city in Florida.
lol are you really trying to say kissimmee is a better city than Orlando?.. just stop while you're ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando