Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 06:46 AM

105 posts, read 406,929 times

Advertisements

I have read on this forum that northern orlando areas are better than southern orlando areas regarding crime, schools, etc.

My question is this. If the northern areas are better than the southern areas, why am finding that the southern areas are more expensive regarding apartment complexes? Am I looking in all the wrong areas?

Here is what I mean. Sanford, Lake Mary, Winter Park and Clermont all have apartment housing cheaper than Hunters Creek, Conway, and Windermere.

I feel as though I am missing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 07:05 AM

7 posts, read 18,896 times
All the Northern areas you listed are kinda off by themselves. Hunters Creek, Conway, and Windemere are all very close to major attractions/downtown so there are a lot of people living there to work and/or have the convenience of being 15 minutes to the parks/downtown.

Just an FYI I would most certainly say Hunters Creek/Windemere are not crime ridden areas. I live in Hunters Creek and have for 2 years. It is very safe. I would not list Sanford as being safer then the areas you listed, and Winter Park has some rough areas toward the east. Oviedo has cheap housing because of UCF as well. There are tons of apartments everywhere in that area due to students.

I do not know anything about the schools, so I can't help you on that front. Sorry!

Best of luck!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 AM

995 posts, read 1,700,150 times
I don't agree at all that Northern areas are nicer than Southern areas. There are nice areas north of Orlando, south of Orlando and within Orlando. There are bad areas north of Orlando, south of Orlando and within Orlando.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:24 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,465 times
Hmmmm... I think a lot of factors make people say such things.

GENERALLY speaking, Seminole County has better schools (overall) than Orange County... this would include the northern suburbs of Orlando. Also, some of these areas are newer and cleaner and less dense. Again, generally speaking. Many people consider those things positives.

Winter Park (and Maitland, mostly) are more urban and are in Orange County, but the schools are very good (generally speaking). But, you have traffic issues there and the area is considerably more dense than in Lake Mary, for example.

South Orlando is an odd mix. There are several very nice areas, including Dr. Phillips and Windermere, but there's also a lot of very undesirable areas. Additionally, you have serious traffic congestion and a lot of tourists to deal with.

Conway is sort of in between, IMO. It is closer to downtown, zoned for a good high school, and does not have the tourist issues of south Orlando or the long commute of the northern suburbs.

Clermont is in Lake County. I have no idea what the schools are like there, but Lake County schools in general are not very good. Also, I'd think the commute would be long. However, if you want a bit more rural environment, it might be a good choice.

Like all cities, large areas develop reputations, but inside each of those areas are pockets that stand out (for good or bad).

If you have certain criteria for an area (schools, commute time to a specific location, price range, walkability, whatever), you could likely focus your search down much more than north versus south. I would not go only by apartment price.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 AM

105 posts, read 406,929 times
Geographically, I would rather be more south than north because we have family in west palm beach and that would make our commute shorter. The issue that I am having is that I can't seem to find any areas that come recommended in the southern part. I am just now going to do more research on Kissimmee. I had originally stayed away from this area because that is what everyone seemed to say. I do realize though that everyone is different and I need to check it out for myself. So my research begins today on Kissimmee. If you have any info regarding good areas or areas to stay away from, that would be great. Also any additional southern areas you think that I should look into.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative35 View Post
Hmmmm... I think a lot of factors make people say such things.

GENERALLY speaking, Seminole County has better schools (overall) than Orange County... this would include the northern suburbs of Orlando. Also, some of these areas are newer and cleaner and less dense. Again, generally speaking. Many people consider those things positives.

Winter Park (and Maitland, mostly) are more urban and are in Orange County, but the schools are very good (generally speaking). But, you have traffic issues there and the area is considerably more dense than in Lake Mary, for example.

South Orlando is an odd mix. There are several very nice areas, including Dr. Phillips and Windermere, but there's also a lot of very undesirable areas. Additionally, you have serious traffic congestion and a lot of tourists to deal with.

Conway is sort of in between, IMO. It is closer to downtown, zoned for a good high school, and does not have the tourist issues of south Orlando or the long commute of the northern suburbs.

Clermont is in Lake County. I have no idea what the schools are like there, but Lake County schools in general are not very good. Also, I'd think the commute would be long. However, if you want a bit more rural environment, it might be a good choice.

Like all cities, large areas develop reputations, but inside each of those areas are pockets that stand out (for good or bad).

If you have certain criteria for an area (schools, commute time to a specific location, price range, walkability, whatever), you could likely focus your search down much more than north versus south. I would not go only by apartment price.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 AM

2,130 posts, read 4,524,941 times
Windermere and Dr. Phillips are by far the best areas in South Orlando. You could look info Williamsburg and Hunter's Creek as well.

Personally, I would not live in Kissimmee. Bad schools, crime, strange mix of tacky and redneck. I know there are some diehard fans of Kissimmee on here and I don't mean to offend them or get in a fight as I'm sure some people are happy there; however passing by the endless run-down tourist gift shops and abandoned motels on 192 to get anywhere would get depressing really quick. That strip makes I-Drive look like Madison Avenue.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,370,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtinax01 View Post
Geographically, I would rather be more south than north because we have family in west palm beach and that would make our commute shorter. The issue that I am having is that I can't seem to find any areas that come recommended in the southern part. I
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Windermere and Dr. Phillips are by far the best areas in South Orlando. You could look info Williamsburg and Hunter's Creek as well.

Personally, I would not live in Kissimmee. Bad schools, crime, strange mix of tacky and redneck. I know there are some diehard fans of Kissimmee on here and I don't mean to offend them or get in a fight as I'm sure some people are happy there; however passing by the endless run-down tourist gift shops and abandoned motels on 192 to get anywhere would get depressing really quick. That strip makes I-Drive look like Madison Avenue.
Completely agree with all of this. Look at Windermere or Dr Phillips if it is in your budget. Both areas have proximity to Florida's turnpike for when you need to get down to South FL.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,150,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtinax01 View Post
I have read on this forum that northern orlando areas are better than southern orlando areas regarding crime, schools, etc.

My question is this. If the northern areas are better than the southern areas, why am finding that the southern areas are more expensive regarding apartment complexes? Am I looking in all the wrong areas?

Here is what I mean. Sanford, Lake Mary, Winter Park and Clermont all have apartment housing cheaper than Hunters Creek, Conway, and Windermere.

I feel as though I am missing something.
Clermont is west, not north or south. The "cheap" apartments in Clermont are generally income restricted and overall far from desirable. The nicer apartments in Clermont generally start near $1000 and go up from there.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,150,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative35 View Post
Lake County schools have come a long way with several "A" rated high schools and many "A" rated elementary and middle schools. You just have to choose carefully to make sure you end up zoned for one of the good schools.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:00 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,912,409 times
It is Hard to determine the two all of the areas that you mentioned are what I would consider West Orlando. I know that Dr. Phillips and Windemere are considered SW Orlando, But I would consider South Orlando would be Hunters creek, Meadow woods, Williamsburg, and all of Osceola county. Conway is more East Orlando, and Clermont is Far West Orlando. Yes, Seminole county has overall the best best school district in Central Florida, But area such as Maitland, Winter Park, Dr. Phillips, Winter Garden, and Windemere all have just as good schools. Clermont schools are not that bad just not Seminole county good.

The Southern Portions are closer to all of what Orlando has to offer, But the Northern Suburbs have just about everything you would need without the theme parks, and high end Fashion. Lake Mary and Sanford complexes are just as good as anything in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando