Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 09:20 PM

4 posts, read 14,609 times

Advertisements

hello,
i may be moving to the orlando area and working at an office in Maitland. Can you suggest some localaties to live where the crime rate is low and the commute would not be an hour each way.

For instance I saw Lake Mary mentioned as a nice area. How long of a drive is it to Maitland area in the m orning from Lake Mary? Are there any other similar areas with low crime rates that would be a quick trip? I'd like to steer clear of communities with outrageous HOA dues and have a home with a pool. DOes anyone have any information on Apopka? Is this a safe area and is it close to maitland? Thanks!

Maitland looks expensive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 04:20 AM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
Either Lake Mary or Apopka would be about a 20 minute commute. If you have kids, you may want to check out the schools. Be prepared to pay $275K and higher for a decent home in a good neighborhood. The Weikiva area is nice also and not too far from Maitland. The Mt. Dora area in Lake County north of Apopka on 441 is a good choice for affordability and decent schools, but it is a 45 minute commute to Maitland given the traffic congestion. Depends on how much you can afford in rent or mortgage payments. Mt.Dora/Eustis area has a bit of a small town feel to it.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:26 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
I'd pass on Apopka. But, the following areas are near Maitland and are decent. First, don't forget that Maitland is a pretty nice town itself - I'd look there first. Check out the Domrich area - older houses that are being torn down or renovated. Also the Lake Sybelia area is pretty nice (and quite expensive). Longwood, Lake Mary, Heathrow - these are well within a 20 minute drive to Maitland. Altamonte Springs is fairly congested, but it's just north of Maitland - about a 5-10 minute drive, depending on where you live and work.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:10 PM

4 posts, read 14,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post
Either Lake Mary or Apopka would be about a 20 minute commute. If you have kids, you may want to check out the schools. Be prepared to pay $275K and higher for a decent home in a good neighborhood. The Weikiva area is nice also and not too far from Maitland. The Mt. Dora area in Lake County north of Apopka on 441 is a good choice for affordability and decent schools, but it is a 45 minute commute to Maitland given the traffic congestion. Depends on how much you can afford in rent or mortgage payments. Mt.Dora/Eustis area has a bit of a small town feel to it.
What is wrong with Apopoka? The prices seem very reasonable and it looks to not be too far from Maitland. I have not even been to the area yet, and I may be jumping the gun! LOL! I have a HUGE last interview Friday for a very good job. If I get it then I will be bopping around to find out the area. Thanks for all of your help. I like Lake Matry's look but it looks yuppified and procey for the same types of houses in Apopka. Is Apopka a bad area?

Old 06-08-2007, 12:04 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonsdad View Post
What is wrong with Apopoka? The prices seem very reasonable and it looks to not be too far from Maitland. I have not even been to the area yet, and I may be jumping the gun! LOL! I have a HUGE last interview Friday for a very good job. If I get it then I will be bopping around to find out the area. Thanks for all of your help. I like Lake Matry's look but it looks yuppified and procey for the same types of houses in Apopka. Is Apopka a bad area?
Apopka has some really bad areas and some newer areas that are not so bad, but I don't know if it will be able to overcome it's reputation and the 'bad' areas that are so close to the good ones. I would pass on Apopka right now.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:02 AM

555 posts, read 2,212,146 times
If you are considering Apopka, stay north of 441. There are nicer areas between Plymouth-Sorrento road which is 437, Rock Springs road and north towards Mt.Plymouth heading towards Hwy 46. I would stay far away from downtown Apopka.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:49 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
There are some nicer areas north of Apopka, but I'd still stay clear. Schools are awful (in Orange county/Apopka). When schools are bad, housing values stay depressed. A bad element tends to take over. If you don't have kids and aren't too concerned about housing values, but want to live on a pretty piece of land near the Wekivia River preservation area, I can understand this.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:40 AM

266 posts, read 1,025,797 times
Default I have to disagree

Apopka is NOT like people make it out to be. There is an older section of Apopka which is not so nice, but for the most part their are some beautiful developments, the new school Wolf Lake is beautiful. And I believe most of the schools, Clay Springs, Dream Lake, Rock Springs, even Apopka Elementary have gotten very good grades.

I have met people who live in all different places in Apopka and have nothing bad to say about it. So please take what you hear with a grain of salt. I am from MA and have been here 2 years and honestly I feel completely safe here, have 2 young children, and see so many positive changes taking place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando