Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 02:58 PM

14 posts, read 46,521 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good place to go fishing near Maitland? I am open to renting an inexpensive boat, but I would prefer to fish on the bank. I don't want go anywhere near Disney or Kissimmee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 03:16 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Lake Monroe in Sanford, Dora Chain of Lakes in Lake County, Bear Lake in Altamonte, Lake Brantley in Altamonte (if you can find a public area to fish from). If you want to fish on the ocean (which is what I prefer) New Smyrna beach, Jetty Park, Mosquito Lagoon.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:44 PM

565 posts, read 1,253,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Lake Monroe in Sanford, Dora Chain of Lakes in Lake County, Bear Lake in Altamonte, Lake Brantley in Altamonte (if you can find a public area to fish from).
I think this is the $10,000 question. The Dora lakes aren't near A.S., so they're out. It all depends on what constitutes "near." Lake Monroe is a bit out, but not a huge drive. I'd like to know if there are decent places to fish from shore there, or if it's ringed by homes like the other lakes in town, shutting out the public at large. I'd like to find out the same with Bear Lake, too.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:36 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
Even having grown up in the area I don't know of any public shoreline or docks on Bear Lake or Lake Brantley, I always had friends that lived on the lakes or had access. But I do believe there are some public boat ramps at each lake that may have room for fishing. Tri if you have any insight please share.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:27 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
I think this is the $10,000 question. The Dora lakes aren't near A.S., so they're out. It all depends on what constitutes "near." Lake Monroe is a bit out, but not a huge drive. I'd like to know if there are decent places to fish from shore there, or if it's ringed by homes like the other lakes in town, shutting out the public at large. I'd like to find out the same with Bear Lake, too.
No, Lake Monroe has almost no homes on it! 17/92 and the Riverwalk take up most of the shore, and at any time of day there are tons of people lined along the lake for miles fishing! The city of Sanford is currently in the process of expanding the Riverwalk eventually making it easier to fish.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
No, Lake Monroe has almost no homes on it! 17/92 and the Riverwalk take up most of the shore, and at any time of day there are tons of people lined along the lake for miles fishing! The city of Sanford is currently in the process of expanding the Riverwalk eventually making it easier to fish.
I will definitely have to check it out, then. What kind of fish are predominately in Lake Monroe (worth eating)?

Old 03-18-2014, 11:26 PM

127 posts, read 166,742 times
There's a few hundred yards of bank fishing at the Lake Destiny Condos in Altamonte Springs. It's just north of Maitland Center on Lake Destiny Rd.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley83 View Post
There's a few hundred yards of bank fishing at the Lake Destiny Condos in Altamonte Springs. It's just north of Maitland Center on Lake Destiny Rd.
What kind of fish are in there? I did an aerial view of Lake Destiny and didn't see what looked like public parking anywhere - only for apartments and condos/businesses. Are you sure this isn't a private lake?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:39 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
I will definitely have to check it out, then. What kind of fish are predominately in Lake Monroe (worth eating)?
Eating fish out of any local lake is probably not advisable given the amount of pesticide runoff and mercury present in the water.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:11 AM

127 posts, read 166,742 times
Quote:
What kind of fish are in there? I did an aerial view of Lake Destiny and didn't see what looked like public parking anywhere - only for apartments and condos/businesses. Are you sure this isn't a private lake?

It's an apartment complex and not an especially high rent one. I used to live there so believe me when I tell you...no one will care that you're fishing. There's plenty of guest parking and no front gate. Walk along the grass or just stick near the short canal in the middle. I've seen a 12 pound largemouth bass taken from there. My biggest was a 5 pounder that was about two feet from shore. I cast from 50 feet inland so my plastic worm barely made the water. I had spooked something there the night before and didn't want to make the same mistake twice. I reeled my way up to it instead of reeling it in. I now do this whenever walking up to a sweet looking fishing spot

Anyway, there's largemouth bass, black crappie, maybe white, and several other small panfish. Maybe carp and gar too. It's a natural spring fed lake but it's also surrounded by apartments and offices so I don't know that I'd eat anything from there. I wouldn't eat a largemouth bass from anywhere actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando