Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:32 AM

12 posts, read 37,091 times

Advertisements

Hello-

I'm going to be moving from a city in the northern Midwest. I would like to know specifics about mass transit in Orlando, such as, whether or not it is reliable, whether the service hours are adequate, the condition of the buses, that sort of thing.

As far as I know I'm going to be looking for a rental room or an apartment share near UCF, or possibly in Maitland. I think I am going to try to be living near UCF or the VA, but possibly as far away as Maitland, and I don't want to get into a lease at least until I've had a chance to see what's really there and what's an appropriate deal in terms of leased housing.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 09:21 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,103,151 times
As far as rooms, look in Craigslist.

craigslist: orlando classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

For lynx bus schedules and info:

LYNX Central Florida Regional Transportation Authority

Old 11-12-2009, 04:58 PM

331 posts, read 1,053,111 times
If you are moving to Florida get a car. I have never taken a bus in Orlando so I can't really comment on the reliability of it, but I cannot imagine living in Central Florida with out a car. The UCF area or by the VA which is Winter Park is a good area, not too far from Downtown and not too far from UCF.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:39 AM

Thank you for your thought, but I think I will have to use mass transit until I have the financial means to get a car. That's why I need to know about the reliability of mass transit.

And there still is no real predictability as far as the price of gasoline is concerned. If living in the area is so dependent on having a car, then if the price of gasoline goes up again, that could be a major problem, and those who know how to get around on mass transit before that happens could be a step ahead.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:03 AM

Teh is right though........mass transit in Orlando is not nearly as extensive as, say NY or DC. Many routes end early during the day, holiday and Sunday service can be atrocious, and many areas are under served. Plus, because of the relatively low demand, when gas prices do go up, many routes get cut out.

The best routes to live and work for the bus, IMO are the 4, 21, and 8 routes. These buses operate late and frequently. Anyone who lives in the area knows what parts of the city they serve: the hood and tourist areas, so that is an indication of Orlando mass transit status right there.

Lynx is good short term until you save up for a car. All you need is a cheap beater to get you around. Do you really wanna be waiting for the bus in 92 degree weather, or during a lightning storm?

Old 11-14-2009, 08:47 AM

Thank you for the insight. It seems like the system is sufficient to meet my needs until I can save up for an old beater.

Although I do appreciate it, the rest is relative. The heat/humidity combination in Milwaukee is sometimes that bad, and people do it. It's entirely possible here for a foot of snow to fall in one day, and the winter temperatures are often below freezing. Rainstorms, though not as frequent, can be as bad. It depends on what one is used to. Call me crazy, but, dressed right and prepared right, it can be less hassle than owning a car.

But thanks. The rest was just idle conversation.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:39 AM

I never lived in Milwaukee, but Orlando is the lightning capital of the world. There are very few places outside of the tropics that can compete with Orlando (or Florida's) humidity, certainly not in the Midwest. During the summer there are thunderstorms, with dangerous lightning, every afternoon.

I am not trying to say it is not possible to use mass transit, but don't underestimate the situation in Orlando. Percentage wise very few people rely on Lynx.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:23 PM

I guess it's just a matter of what a person is used to and can adapt to if necessary. I get your point, but stuff like that happens in every major city.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cautious View Post
I guess it's just a matter of what a person is used to and can adapt to if necessary. I get your point, but stuff like that happens in every major city.
I was born and raised in the Bronx NY. I have been around the block, and I and many others here will tell you that this is not an easy city to try to make something out of nothing. Everbody will tell you that it is unwise to come to Orlando without a job lined up, and at least couple of months living expenses to back you up. If you cannot even afford to buy a cheap car before you move here, I would think about getting my affairs in order before making that move. You can do what you want to do, but you came here for advice.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:59 PM

And I do appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando