Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:24 AM

22 posts, read 55,388 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are a young couple (mid 20's) relocating to central Florida from Ireland after our marriage next year.
We've looked into a few places (including Winter Park, Casselberry, Winter Garden and a few more) but would like to explore all options of where to start our new life, so looking for suggestions and recommendations by others. Would like to stick to the North Orange/Seminole area and fairly close to Orlando.
I work as a dance, gymnastics, singing & drama teacher and pre-school/day care worker, I plan to carry on with this work (will definatly be teaching Irish dancing anyway) and my husband to be is an electrician and sometimes works as a labourer but open to anything when we move over
We're mainly looking for:
- A friendly community with good community spirit
- Low crime rate and cheap enough houses/apartments to rent
- Lots of things to do, especially for younger people. (Oppurtunities for us to get to know others our age)
I like the idea of a community that would be quite welcoming and has a range of community event, festivals or similar.
We would most likely be starting a family their so good schools, day care, hospital would be nice too.
Any communities in the area with many Irish? We are not looking for an Irish community, just wondering.
All help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 06:27 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,631,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonihowe View Post
Hi, we are a young couple (mid 20's) relocating to central Florida from Ireland after our marriage next year.
We've looked into a few places (including Winter Park, Casselberry, Winter Garden and a few more) but would like to explore all options of where to start our new life, so looking for suggestions and recommendations by others. Would like to stick to the North Orange/Seminole area and fairly close to Orlando.
I work as a dance, gymnastics, singing & drama teacher and pre-school/day care worker, I plan to carry on with this work (will definatly be teaching Irish dancing anyway) and my husband to be is an electrician and sometimes works as a labourer but open to anything when we move over
- Lots of things to do, especially for younger people. (Oppurtunities for us to get to know others our age)
I like the idea of a community that would be quite welcoming and has a range of community event, festivals or similar.
We would most likely be starting a family their so good schools, day care, hospital would be nice too.
Any communities in the area with many Irish? We are not looking for an Irish community, just wondering.
Avoiding NAMA - are we?

My brotherinlaw has just returned to Waterford from Florida.
Him and his family lived in Fort Myers : loved it over there and had lived there for 10 years.
Plenty of Irish over there in that part of Florida.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
I'm assuming you've already got work visa's lined up?

Old 09-28-2009, 11:30 AM

41 posts, read 97,695 times
You will enjoy the cultural diversity here in central FL. Not many jobs right now.Especially ANY aspect of construction.
As for low crime rate, you better find somewhere else to live.The news every day reports rapes,murders,pharmacy robberies. Even my little town has had bank robberies,purse snatching in Wal-Mart,convenience store robberies.You name it. try WFTV.com. That is one of our local stations.Let that help be your guide. I work with an Irish girl. She has EXTREME difficulty dealing with our summers.

Good luck. I really hope you extensively research the area.Check the local sherriff and police web sites.We have sexual predator web sites,so maybe you won't live next to one. I live in a better area and we have one down the street.There were 3 home invasions within the last year in our area. You should arm yourself. The criminals surely are armed. Anyone disagree with me? I've been a victim.Your turn will come.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,541 times
Florida??? Why??? Hello??? It's not Disney. Do your research before you make the move. You'll thank yourself later.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,247 times
There a lot worse places to live in the USA. Orlando has a huge university which is good in the long term if you stay and have kids....there are affordable places to rent and then eventually buy...but you have to consider the heat, traffic, sometime water shortages....but the future of florida is not so bad...even with it's negatives...I think alot of baby boomers will retire here...South Florida has a larger problem with water and home insurance so it's not a good long term bet....good luck...

Old 10-05-2009, 01:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Why leave a lovely country like Ireland, which over the last few years had the number one economy in Europe for central FL?

Granted like the US economy theirs is also in a recession now.

I hope the OP didn't just come to Disneyworld for a vacation and think this is life in FL.

EVerything OP has described exists in Ireland and it is of better quality. The trend over the last few years is for Irish to return back to Ireland.

Microsoft and many other large corporations have opened up there.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 AM

167 posts, read 409,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonihowe View Post
We'd love to have you here! I'm irish-american (born here though) and need some more folks like you around!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:26 AM

111 posts, read 342,031 times
I saw that you said you were a gymnastics instructor...let me throw this out to you: Brandy Johnson's Global Gymnastics Academy

Brandy Johnson was a member of the 1988 USA Olympic Team and runs a gym here in Clermont. There is a place on their website for employment opportunities. If you ever consider Lake County, this may be a place for you to look into.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:04 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,688,532 times
there is a somewhat high population of Irish people in the casselberry area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando