Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:03 AM

316 posts, read 1,037,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
i'm not sure how anything I said says were on a different level, but I have seen quite a few management positions offer 80k in Orlando, unfortunately since I'm not a local candidate for them, I couldn't do them, but i've seen upwards of 100k for engineering positions as well...
This is where we are on a different level - in the IT field. 80k for management???? that is WAY too low! 100k for engineering...roflmao.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:02 PM

429 posts, read 1,104,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
This is where we are on a different level - in the IT field. 80k for management???? that is WAY too low! 100k for engineering...roflmao.
I honestly don't know what to think of you...seriously..
I am in NYC now and i'm in the IT field as well, so I know what i'm talking about, and you are right 80K is low for management, but depending on what the systems/network engineering job...100k is decent depending on the job description, company and the benefits. ... so, i'm not sure what you are getting at, I really don't. I can't tell if you are trying to say you are above my level, below it, but either way, you don't know me, or my resume. I'd say you should never leave your national job if you think 100k for a systems/network engineer in Orlando is bad...

EDIT: I did just notice a post of yours in another thread and you talk about a dating daughter, so I would say being i'm only in my 20's with experience since college, there is likely an experience gap, so maybe that is why were not on the same thought here. I do however take offense to the different "level argument", you being in IT know as well as I do that unless you are working on systems that are not taught and deployed anymore, that besides having more years next to you, someone with less years can do just as good a job, but that also probably plays into your hands on the difference in salary as you may have been making more years ago when IT was not as popular and obviously need more now. I guess we just have different expectations, sorry if I sounded snappy, but the 100k in Orlando sounds real good to me!

Last edited by mrFlaBound; 09-25-2009 at 12:19 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 12:50 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
100K for an engineer is not low. You won't get much more than that even in tech-heavy Atlanta.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:26 AM

316 posts, read 1,037,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
I
EDIT: I did just notice a post of yours in another thread and you talk about a dating daughter, so I would say being i'm only in my 20's with experience since college, there is likely an experience gap, so maybe that is why were not on the same thought here. I do however take offense to the different "level argument", you being in IT know as well as I do that unless you are working on systems that are not taught and deployed anymore, that besides having more years next to you, someone with less years can do just as good a job, but that also probably plays into your hands on the difference in salary as you may have been making more years ago when IT was not as popular and obviously need more now. I guess we just have different expectations, sorry if I sounded snappy, but the 100k in Orlando sounds real good to me!
Yes it is the experience gap. I've got 32 years in IT. I have a lot of young guys that come on and off my projects... and I'll even be honest... I'm not all that impressed. I've seen good and bad... the good have potential and the bad just get worse.

As for being in your 20's of course that type of money sounds good. It did when I was your age (that just sounded old LOL). So for you some of the recruiters like Half or Spherion might be good for you. For a guy on my level they are of little to no benefit.

Be that as it may, overall the market does stink here. The talent is pretty weak so if you are good you have a shot....not that they'll understand how good you are. This is why I said Tampa or Jacksonville, a bit less backwoods. I've lived here almost 4 years.... I have yet to meet one IT guy that I would hire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando