Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:10 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,389 times

Advertisements

See here

Top Public High Schools

Three public high schools....yes THREE, made the top ten list of best public high schools in the country! Thought I would post it up for all to peruse!

Just a shame none are in Central Fl....but....maybe eventually....

And, if I counted correctly, Fl made 23 out of the top 100 list! Yay!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 05:38 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,322 times
That's impossible....Florida has horrible schools. Everybody knows that - you read it all over this forum!!
LOL

Old 06-11-2009, 06:03 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
That's impossible....Florida has horrible schools. Everybody knows that - you read it all over this forum!!
LOL
I don't think that this forum is filled with experts haha!
I realize you are being facetious, but everyone likes to pretend that they know it all on here.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Yes the Associated Press lied when they said FL comes in 45 out of 50 in regards to students completing HS. The graduation rate is 57%.

Glad to hear a handful of schools made the grade, but overall education here is poor.

And problem students are encouraged to dropout and just get a GED.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes the Associated Press lied when they said FL comes in 45 out of 50 in regards to students completing HS. The graduation rate is 57%.

Glad to hear a handful of schools made the grade, but overall education here is poor.

And problem students are encouraged to dropout and just get a GED.

You know...there really is nothing wrong with a GED for some...my sister dropped out, got her GED, went on to college, earned her BS degree and is an accountant earning upwards of 60K per year. Single mother while doing all that also.

I would also be curious to know...is the actual education poor or is it the socio-economic factors that lead to apathetic conditions that are the causative effects of poor learning in the students themselves (which can only be helped by the 'at home' environment) And you all know what I mean..... I don't know how you would prove that one way or the other....

Old 06-13-2009, 04:02 AM

Furtrher info in this article...

ALL SEMINOLE COUNTY HS's are in the top 5% in the nation

Welcome to Seminole County Public Schools (http://www.scps.k12.fl.us/scpsNews/newspage2.cfm - broken link)

While the FCATs put Lake Mary at a B, and Oviedo High at an A,

this methodology finds the opposite effect...ranking Lake Mary higher at 382 => Top 1.4% and Oviedo at 800 => 2.96%

Most of the others are in between the two.

Pretty reasonable rankings for a crappy butt school district! LOL

Old 06-13-2009, 04:06 AM

Only 20 total PA school even made the total list...FL had 23 in the top 100! I find that hysterical!!! Sorry!!! LOL!!!!!

Old 06-13-2009, 10:52 PM

123 posts, read 252,891 times
I mentor a high-school robotics team here in Wellington FL and I know Suncoast quite well since they're relatively near to us (20 miles I'd guess). They've got a pretty kickin' robotics team and made it all the way to the finals this year (yes, it's a big deal). BTW, Suncoast is #7 on the high-school list Parrotrosie linked to.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Parrot Rosie you are new to FL, there is a lot of debate over the FCAT. Many feel the whole school year is based on preparing for one test and not really teaching the kids.

And there is something wrong when FL ranks 45 out of the 50 states in having students complete HS.

What is considered an outstanding student here is your average student and your average school in many other states.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Parrot Rosie you are new to FL, there is a lot of debate over the FCAT. Many feel the whole school year is based on preparing for one test and not really teaching the kids.

And there is something wrong when FL ranks 45 out of the 50 states in having students complete HS.

What is considered an outstanding student here is your average student and your average school in many other states.
You guys do realize that ALL states have a standardized test ?? PA calls it the PSSA. And, I do realize the flaws in that system.

I also realize the flaws in this particular ranking...it is using how many students take AP tests and some averaging (its on the link) methodology. It's not perfect. But apparently you have alot more kids taking college prep testing and courses than we do in PA....it's a place to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando