Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,718,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybother View Post
Haha....here's one for you guys...the nation's dumbest drivers!!! I feel my IQ going up as soon as we move...just a little!!!

The Nation's Dumbest Drivers - WalletPop

LOL....I took the test...got three wrong...you need to 'stop if it is safe to do so' at a solid yellow traffic light?? I never heard of that....I picked, proceed with caution....I have never ever seen a solid yellow traffic light. LOL! I scored "Pretty Good" lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,591,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybother View Post
LOL...I stand corrected, sorry the 2nd...and this is only the third time since 1992(I believe) that they were not 1st. Not my point though. I was just responding to the statement that our car insurance might go up. Thanks though for the info.
All I know is that when I moved back to NJ my auto insurance went down.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:13 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,509,841 times
Yeah, we got tops in Dallas/DFW, too...
But I thought all the 'good' schools were up north...?
Did you see how the South/Southwest represented!?

Old 06-17-2009, 09:49 AM

680 posts, read 1,924,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
LOL....I took the test...got three wrong...you need to 'stop if it is safe to do so' at a solid yellow traffic light?? I never heard of that....I picked, proceed with caution....I have never ever seen a solid yellow traffic light. LOL! I scored "Pretty Good" lol
I just took the test.... and the question could have been interpreted in a number of ways.

The question asked: "When you approach a traffic signal displaying a steady yellow light, you must:"

I understood the question to ask what you should do when the light had turned from green to yellow before I had reached the intersection and was therefore a "steady" yellow.

Unfortunately, most Orlando drivers (and tourists) see that steady yellow as a GREEN light :P
Attached Thumbnails
Newsweeks Top 10 High Schools...Florida makes the Grade!-yellow.jpg  

Old 06-17-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
I just took the test.... and the question could have been interpreted in a number of ways.

The question asked: "When you approach a traffic signal displaying a steady yellow light, you must:"

I understood the question to ask what you should do when the light had turned from green to yellow before I had reached the intersection and was therefore a "steady" yellow.

Unfortunately, most Orlando drivers (and tourists) see that steady yellow as a GREEN light :P
D'OH!!! :P Right...of course....Then perhaps the question may have been phrased, When the light TURNS yellow, you should......

I , apparently didn't understand the moron who phrased the question. Because in my limited perception, that is NOT a steady yellow light, it will very shortly be red.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:46 PM

25 posts, read 50,892 times
The below thread talks about FL schools vs. CT schools. Are most schools really that bad down there in FL? I have family in Oviedo and Lake Mary\Heathrow and they have nothing but good things to say about the public schools there. Would the best public schools in FL be equal to average schools in CT?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...p-1500-us.html

Old 06-21-2009, 11:04 PM

I am currently in PA and my daughter just finished 5th grade in an average school district. After looking over the curriculum for the 6th grade placement in Florida, her teachers told me they are a full year behind. She has completed all the work described in the 'best' district in the area we were looking at (Seminole County Oviedo schools).

The newsweek article, from what I could gather, it appears alot of the southern schools are aggressively getting their students to take these AP and Cambridge testings (not sure if they are mandatory , or if the schools pay for them or exactly what the mechanism is) but that is how they are getting higher scores in this particular grading. It's just one datapoint that they are using to make this determination.

So far, that has been my experience...my kid has not actually attended school in FL yet...so, I cannot evaluate the schools personally. They looked very nice, new, clean and up to date technology wise. The teachers I met were very nice and all. So as I get through the new school year, I will be posting about my experience.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:51 AM

561 posts, read 1,926,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msands44 View Post
The below thread talks about FL schools vs. CT schools. Are most schools really that bad down there in FL? I have family in Oviedo and Lake Mary\Heathrow and they have nothing but good things to say about the public schools there. Would the best public schools in FL be equal to average schools in CT?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...p-1500-us.html
Comparing the Florida public education system to the Connecticut public education system is like comparing the major leagues (being Connecticut), to the minor leagues (being Florida). There is no comparison.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,697,214 times
Exactly Mark Hunt. What passes down here for a good school or an outstanding student would be average in many states.

As the saying goes "when you go cheap, you get cheap". FL lags behind many states in education and in healthcare.

Yes in many ways it is less expensive to live here, but it reflects back in the services that are provided.

I feel sorrry for kids who are educated here. For the most part they are getting short changed compared to students in other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando