Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:14 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Only 20 total PA school even made the total list...FL had 23 in the top 100! I find that hysterical!!! Sorry!!! LOL!!!!!
I dont know why you find it hysterical. Florida is alot larger than Pennsylvania. You are comparing a state of 18 million to a state of 12 million. Florida has alot more schools than PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 10:20 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,714,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I dont know why you find it hysterical. Florida is alot larger than Pennsylvania. You are comparing a state of 18 million to a state of 12 million. Florida has alot more schools than PA.
Well, I suppose because I live near two of the most highly regarded school districts, neither of which made it. They are super snobs about their education. But...this only used one data point, so it's really not a reasonable point to use to qualify as a 'Best' high school anyway. Puts them on the path tho....

Old 06-14-2009, 10:33 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times
Quote:
Well, I suppose because I live near two of the most highly regarded school districts, neither of which made it. They are super snobs about their education. But...this only used one data point, so it's really not a reasonable point to use to qualify as a 'Best' high school anyway. Puts them on the path tho....
I would not put much weight behind these rankings. Many Florida schools are severly underfunded and performing horribly.

Orlando Sentinel - Thousands of Florida's high school seniors failed FCAT again, won't graduate with Class of 2009 by

Florida's education budget crisis -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
The problem down here is that overall education is very poor. Do you know anyone can subsitute teach here? All you need is a HS diploma.

So someone could end up on a long term sub assignment and have no formal education.

People who move here from other states find their kids are way ahead of their peers here.

Having a handful of good schools when almost half the students are dropping out is nothing to be proud of.

The US is falling behind many other countries and FL is behind most of the other states.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:25 AM

Yes, I do understand that, but there are similar complaints in PA (altho I don't think just anyone can sub here...not sure tho).

Underfunding, hate 'teaching to the test', yakety ***....

and yes, I have posted several times about how I see that my daughter coming from here, going into grade 6 there is going to be about a year behind in curriculum, except in Math. She will be taking accelerated math. So in 7th grade, she will be taking high school credit math classes.

I will have her tested for gifted when we get there and see what else I can have her placed in that would be more on her level.

But I am not disputing your points, only saying your State is not the only state with issues. Should I stay in the district I am in now, the High school has a 10% truancy issue...and a poor standardized test rate. Not exactly sure of the dropout rate but I know the percentage attending college is not great (we live in a relatively blue collar area...not many can afford college). So we were planning a move anyhow before she got to the high school. The Grade school, we love!

And, I think PA ranks so low on this particular benchmark because either FL pays for or really encourages students to take these advanced tests in the schools , where I don't think they do here unless they feel you are 'college material' here. BUT, don't quote me on that...I don't really know. I never heard my neice refer to any of these tests when she was in HS.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:52 AM

34 posts, read 77,053 times
I really am not sure what to make of this report. It doesnt really tell the whole picture. I am from NJ where our schools are consistently known as one of the best if not THE BEST in the country. I didnt count how many NJ schools are in the list, but I know it took me a while to find the first NJ school. NJ consistently ranks high in # of kids taking SAT'S, GRADUATION RATE, # KIDS TAKING AP'S, AND HIGHEST SCORES FOR THESE TESTS.
I think some of these reports are very deceiving. I live in an upper middle class district, where there are tons of parental involvement, almost no crime in my area, next to no one receives free or reduced lunch and the district is constantly boasting that they are the best school around...well, no duh...they shoud be!!!
Even with all the negative talk about Fl schools, I am excited to move to Seminole County. If my child is ahead, I will do what ParrotRosie is and make sure she is in accelerated classes and tested for gifted.
BTW, I found my info on the National Education Assoc. amoung many others.
https://hems.nea.org/goodnews/nj01.html

Old 06-15-2009, 05:58 AM

800 posts, read 3,089,785 times
Quote:
See here

Top Public High Schools

Three public high schools....yes THREE, made the top ten list of best public high schools in the country! Thought I would post it up for all to peruse!

Just a shame none are in Central Fl....but....maybe eventually....

And, if I counted correctly, Fl made 23 out of the top 100 list! Yay!!!
www.scps.k12.fl.us
NEWSWEEK Magazine has once again ranked the nation's 27,000+ public high schools according to the Challenge Index developed by Jay Mathews. ALL 8 of Seminole County Public Schools' 4-year public high schools placed in the top 5% of the nation* based on May 2008 data

Seminole County High Schools are all in the top 5% on the list. Hagarty is to new to be ranked.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:45 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
ybother, your child may very well be ahead of her peers here, keep in mind there are waitlists for getting kids into magnet schools.

You just don't decide your kid is advanced and a slot opens up, unless you are looking at private school.

Sometimes kids end up getting quite bored when they transfer in from another state and can't get into a magnet school.

We have a friend whose daughter spent 11th grade with six periods of study hall because she was so far ahead of her classmates having come from NY.

You are going to see a huge difference in schools here compared to NJ.

I know NJ has the highest property taxes in the country, and you will praobly save quite a bit in taxes moving here.

But you end up paying for it in other ways, and the level of education is one of them.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:52 PM

34 posts, read 77,053 times
[quote=seain dublin;9303682]ybother, your child may very well be ahead of her peers here, keep in mind there are waitlists for getting kids into magnet schools.

You just don't decide your kid is advanced and a slot opens up, unless you are looking at private school.

Sometimes kids end up getting quite bored when they transfer in from another state and can't get into a magnet school.

We have a friend whose daughter spent 11th grade with six periods of study hall because she was so far ahead of her classmates having come from NY.

You are going to see a huge difference in schools here compared to NJ.

It is insight like yours that really is valuable to people relocating, please keep your comments coming. I think its a done deal that we will be moving...eventually. We are going to buy within the next 6 to 9 months, but wait until my oldest and middle get out of high school to actually relocate...the poor youngest child will be in 5th grade then. We will either be buying our house with cash or have a small mortgage, so I definitely know I will save money...taxes...dont even get me started. My oldest goes to Catholic high school, so I know all about paying big bucks for the education (6,600 this year and I honestly think the education is much better down the street at the high school my middle will be attending in the fall) but it is her choice to go there!

Like I said, it will be a while before we relocate so I do have time to figure out the school situation. Do you think the schools in Oviedo and Lake Mary are an actual WHOLE year behind? Not sure exactly what a Magnet school is, but I guess it's something I have to look into! Thanks again.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybother View Post
Like I said, it will be a while before we relocate so I do have time to figure out the school situation. Do you think the schools in Oviedo and Lake Mary are an actual WHOLE year behind? Not sure exactly what a Magnet school is, but I guess it's something I have to look into! Thanks again.
Umm, yes...a WHOLE year...lol. I got the transfer packet for the middle school (we are in PA) and took it to my daughter's 5th grade teacher to help me choose the level of placement (regular, advanced, gifted, etc) and she said....well, she has completed all this work....

It was the same with all her teachers, Reading, Math, Band and Chorus begin in 6th grade there, she has been in both for 2 and 4 years respectively. Ugh...Well in Reading she has no choice, but for math she was able to enroll in advanced math (which is 7th grade level work) so that was good, since math is her thing and reading is not, she lucked out I guess...

I will keep you all posted on how the 'actuality' of it all goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando