Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:25 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,105,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Can I ask what's so bad about Winter Garden? Their downtown and surrounding streets seem charming (with the exception of ugly manufactured homes near Lake Apopka). I admit I don't know that area well at all--it must be really terrible in some parts to the comments that it does on this site.
Get a few blocks way from the central downtown area and you've got some places that are just shy of projects. Homes that are run down with cars on blocks in the yard. The crime rate has been increasing in Winter Garden with creep from Crime Hills and Ocoee, which might as well just be part of Crime Hills these days.

There are some nicer parts of Winter Garden down off Maguire and over in Stoneybrook, but otherwise, not someplace I'd suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 12:22 AM

196 posts, read 818,607 times
stoneybrook west and the area around is good, I like the new mall there! zip code 34787

Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,156,814 times
Ocoee is not that bad. The areas closer to Colonial are worse, but the areas north off Clarke and Clarcona-Ocoee are better. Also, there is a nice area off of West Road closer to downtown Winter Garden and the new Ocoee High School. It is not the best place or the first I would recommend but I do not attach a stern warning to it either like I do Pine Hills.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:43 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,406,812 times
Thank you all for the information. I kind of hijacked the thread--sorry OP.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 14,904 times
I'd avoid Metro West like the plague.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,873,598 times
I'm affraid I too am a fan of hunters Creek. presently there are some decent condos that are pretty cheap due to being REO's The area between them.... Dr. Phillips is even better.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,395 times
Volk2k,

I am interested in buying house in the Metrowest area:
Westpointe Blvd, the first Subdivision on right (at the circle) after the intersection (elementary school) of Westpointe and Lake Vilma Dr. This is a gated community. Is this area OK or it's still too close to Raleigh?
Thanks

Old 05-17-2009, 12:38 PM

680 posts, read 1,923,249 times
Han Asparuh,

I believe you are referring to Vista Royale, and I consider that one of the best neighborhoods in the Metrowest area....and it's definitely in my "green" area

Nice homes, some good split layouts, friendly HOA members from what I've seen/heard.

The problem with Metrowest, as some have mentioned, is that it was a master planned community that should have had more houses in it..... but instead it's filled with alot of condos and apartment complexes.... and I believe when people mention crime in Metrowest, that it occurs in those complexes rather than the houses.

There are actually very few Single Family Residence developments that make up Metrowest..... and all of those are pretty nice.

You will find that most of the SFR developments in Metrowest are maintained well. There are many very established residents who have owned their homes for quite awhile.... so foreclosures are not very prevalent... but obviously there have been some "$30,000 millionaires" who managed to get a mortgage on a $500K property at the peak that can no longer afford their homes

So in a nutshell.... If that Vista Royale home fits your needs and is in your price range, I'd say go for it...... I believe the best neighborhood in Metrowest is Palma Vista, and I know that there are one or two good deals in there right now.

Good luck!

Last edited by volk2k; 05-17-2009 at 12:48 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,712 times
I went to see a condo in the Madison at Metrowest, what do you guys think of this complex? Thank you.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:50 AM

17 posts, read 42,190 times
stay away from the Hamptons. The city is going to condemn 2 buildings. When that project was an apartment complex, they had mold problems. They converted to condos and the mold problems continued. I have a feeling their HOA is going to collapse due to so many bank owned property. The jacked up their HOA to cover so short comings but who is going to pay 600/month +/- HOA on a property that is worth 70% less than it was 2-3 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando