Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 AM

30 posts, read 145,470 times

Advertisements

Here I am again, asking more questions. I'm sure it won't be the end of them too Anyway, Poinciana and Pine Hills are permanently crossed off my list, even though those are the places we can afford... of course.

Can anyone please tell me what the Hunter's Creek area is like? I'm seeing beautiful houses in the $150k price range which is still MUCH cheaper than houses up here. It seems like those houses have about $2700-$3300 in taxes each year. Does this sound accurate? What about HOA fees? What is the area like- schools, shopping, people etc? How far from Sea World and Disney? Is it the type of neighborhood where it's safe to take the kids out trick or treating?

Also if anyone knows off hand what Server Administrator/IT positions make in the area, I'd love to know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 10:56 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,152,984 times
I am not too sure of jobs in the area, but I do like Hunter's Creek a lot. There are nicer areas of Hunter's Creek and not as nice. Is that a home or condo that you found at that price? I would just avoid the Landstar and Tangelo Park areas for the most part, but in other areas of Hunter's Creek you will probably be alright. You are not going to find many homes in the Orlando metro under $200k in a nice area unless you are kind of far out of the city, so I would be interested to know where that home is that you found. I know there are deals out there right now because of the market though.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:00 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,570,648 times
My friend works as a server administrator, has a B.S., he makes $15 an hour.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:05 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,152,984 times
I make more than that at my job and I am a student in college working on my degree, so it is not the case for everyone.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:15 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,284,217 times
From the latest stats on jobs that I saw for Orlando, I believe an IT Admin makes a median of 50K. That's not too bad for this area but unfortunately the field is oversaturated at the moment. There are many people that are looking for work so that means a lot of competition for each opening.

Hunters Creek is a pretty nice area. It has great shopping and a pretty good selection of restaurants. The schools are pretty good and the homes are not overpriced. The only crime I have ever heard of is a few car and home break-ins but I haven't heard of any in a while. It's really great for young professionals and young families IMO.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
From the latest stats on jobs that I saw for Orlando, I believe an IT Admin makes a median of 50K. That's not too bad for this area but unfortunately the field is oversaturated at the moment. There are many people that are looking for work so that means a lot of competition for each opening.

Hunters Creek is a pretty nice area. It has great shopping and a pretty good selection of restaurants. The schools are pretty good and the homes are not overpriced. The only crime I have ever heard of is a few car and home break-ins but I haven't heard of any in a while. It's really great for young professionals and young families IMO.
$50,000 for a server admin. in Central Florida, let me know when you find that opening,lol.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:56 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,284,217 times
Here ya go,

US-FL-Orlando-Systems Administrator (http://jobview.monster.com/GetJob.aspx?JobID=73123615&JobTitle=Systems+Admini strator&q=server+administrator&rad=20&rad_units=mi les&cnme=orlando&sid=23&brd=1&vw=b&AVSDM=2008-06-21+04%3a15%3a00&pg=1&seq=10 - broken link) 42K-52K

System Administrator job in Orlando, FL: Technology careers - Yahoo HotJobs (broken link) $49K

US-FL-maitland-AIX System Admin 72K-83K

Just a few that I found. But still a lot of competition for each job.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:58 AM

30 posts, read 145,470 times
I was looking at this one- Orlando, Florida Home for Sale From RE/MAX

and this one- Orlando, Florida Home for Sale From RE/MAX

We're obviously not ready to move yet, I'm just getting ideas. $15 an hour definitely won't cut it, however. How does anyone survive on FL wages then?

Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjanuarygirl View Post
I was looking at this one- Orlando, Florida Home for Sale From RE/MAX

and this one- Orlando, Florida Home for Sale From RE/MAX

We're obviously not ready to move yet, I'm just getting ideas. $15 an hour definitely won't cut it, however. How does anyone survive on FL wages then?
Most of the ones that live well are the ones that brought lots of money from other states or got transferred by their jobs to Florida (this is not always the best since many have gotten layed off shortly after arrival). This state has always had low-wages so the people do what they can to survive. It is hardest for people that were used to a better standard of life in other states that struggle the most.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
Here ya go,

US-FL-Orlando-Systems Administrator (http://jobview.monster.com/GetJob.aspx?JobID=73123615&JobTitle=Systems+Admini strator&q=server+administrator&rad=20&rad_units=mi les&cnme=orlando&sid=23&brd=1&vw=b&AVSDM=2008-06-21+04%3a15%3a00&pg=1&seq=10 - broken link) 42K-52K

System Administrator job in Orlando, FL: Technology careers - Yahoo HotJobs (broken link) $49K

US-FL-maitland-AIX System Admin 72K-83K

Just a few that I found. But still a lot of competition for each job.
All those jobs are Temp agency jobs that advertise high wages so that they can get an abundancy of resumes and build their database so that employers will hire them to fill the positions. Its bait and switch at its best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando