Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2007, 06:12 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,282,141 times

Advertisements

Hey - I am new to the board. I have lived in Kissimmee my enitre life (27 years) except a brief period when I lived in Deland for college and Altamonte Springs. If anyone has questions especially about Osceola County please let me know. I also work for a insurance company (homeowners and auto) so if you have questions about that please let me know as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 11:53 AM

22 posts, read 125,264 times
Default Moving soon....

I currently live in the Atlanta area and will be moving to the Orlando area with a new job. I am looking for info on the better areas to raise kids. The job is in Celebration so something actually below the Orlando area is idle. We have been told Kissimmee or St. Cloud are nicer, reasonablly priced areas. Any info on schools, parks, homes (rental until we sale here) is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:08 PM

Congrats on the new job and moving down to Central Florida. Celebration is an amazing little town but above what most people can afford to live. Other areas not to far from Celebration that I would recommend looking into are: Davenport, Clermont and East Kissimmee - this area is often referred to as "four corners;" 4 counties intersect in this area: Orange, Osceola, Lake (Clermont), and Polk (Davenport).
I was in this area a few days ago. It is really a nice but has a lot of vacation rentals which may come with its problems. But if it is one of the older developments like Indians Ridge and Indian Oaks (which has its own park and pool) then it is not much of a problem. Overall I like this area a lot and would not worry about the traffic - it is much worse on the other side of 1-4 (on 192) or the crime. You get to enjoy all the perks of living so close to Celebration as well - the schools there are some of the best in the county (avoid Four Corners Charter School and go with the Celebration Schools instead) and their hospital (Florida Hospital Celebration) is one of the best in the area with amazing facitlites (I had 2 of my children there). Pm me if you need more info - Good Luck!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:01 PM

Question lots of info

Thanks a lot for your response. I am hoping it all works out. I have read a lot about "the villages". What is that and what is it that everybody says is so bad?

Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 PM

The Villages is a 55+ retirement community in central Florida. It is located about 20 miles south of Ocala and 60 miles northwest of Orlando, spanning parts of Lake, Marion, and Sumter Counties. (about 1 1/2 hours north of Celebration). I have heard only good things about the Villages but maybe you were thinking about Poinciana (it is separated into "Villages"). If so, there is a long thread about it but in my opinion I would avoid it because of the influx of crime and its over population. However, I would not avoid the Polk Side of Poinciana if you find a great deal - just be prepared for a pretty long commute even though it is not too far from Celebration geographically. Hope this was what you were looking for!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:26 PM

307 posts, read 2,106,681 times
cmj right on the money!

Last edited by rholborn; 08-27-2007 at 05:07 PM..

Old 08-27-2007, 05:35 PM

Default I love this forum!!!!

This is my first time/day on here. Its so much easier asking the questions and getting answers from real people then sitting around worrying myself to death.
I have found numerous homes for lease. Most under 1200 a month and a lot with pools. Is that about average? Rent seems cheap and buying seems outrageous. Commuting is no problem if the living area is worth it. My son is my biggest worry. Hes in 3rd grade and Id like a place where the schools are personable and the kids have a name not a number. You know... the ones where the teachers are really smiling when they say goodmorning and not faking.
Thanks again for all the help!!!

Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 PM

24 posts, read 133,166 times
You have to visit the schools in person to find the right one for your child. You'll know right when you walk in which is school is the one. Good Luck. If you need any rental listings sent to your email let me know. I can send you some for you to view online.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:03 AM

$1200 a month is pretty normal. I just bought my first home for under 200k so it it possible to find something but I always think it is a better idea to rent for a year to see if you like the area and to feel out the market for a while longer. As for the schools, most in Kissimmee and Poinciana need a lot of help but my children are at a "C" school and are doing very, very well. Just as the other poster said, do your research, in person if possible. You can find a great home in just about any community so if education is important then I would base what area to live in on the school your son will go to. If that is the case, then totally avoid the Osceola side of Poinciana - the schools are overcrowded and understaffed. The schools in Celebration sound like they would fit you and your son well. I do not know much about other counties schools but I have heard good things about South Clermont and their elementary schools.
I am glad to help - let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:04 PM

442 posts, read 2,912,865 times
I live on the Polk Side of Poinciana... and although the Drive to ANYWHERE is Horrible from here...Its A nice place to live...We have some crime here but the PCS is spot on about getting rid of the Trash thats causing the crime ...There really is only two bad things about this area ..one is the Drive for ever to get somewhere.( which is livable ) the second one is The APV and the Do nothing Managers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando