Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 75,223 times

Advertisements

Hello, we recently moved to the Lake Nona area from Ohio (business transfer). We have figured out that there is not much out here, in the way of shopping, dining, etc., but love the development and convenience (lack of traffic, too). Can someone help me find a few places of "necessity" - such as a good salon to get a ladies haircut, a day spa - for that occasional needed massage - and any grocery that actually has a meat counter where you can select your own cut of meat, chicken, pork, etc.? Does it exist in Orlando? We had a lovely family owned grocery in Ohio that sold gourmet, organic, and fresh fruits, veggies, meats, etc. The only grocery I've found is Publix, and their meat selection is all pre-packaged. Is that the case all over the city?

And, where are the post offices? I haven't found one yet. It seems I'm having to drive 10+ miles to find anything that was within a few easy miles of my home in Ohio. I love Florida, but am getting a little anxious not being able to find some of these places. If you can't refer to a specific place, can you at least provide me with a resource where I can look them up? I can't even find anything on the internet that is close to Lake Nona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 01:02 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,203,411 times
Lake Nona is pretty far out there - people who live out there like being away from town, living on a quiet golf course. The metro area is moving in that direction, but enjoy the semi-seclusion while it lasts. You will have the UCF Medical Center being located out in that direction.

But the kind of stuff you seem to be looking for (family grocer, butcher) are more located at the center of town, like in downtown Orlando, downtown Winter Park, maybe a few other of the outlying town-center areas. The structure of the Orlando metro area is much, much more spread out than older traditional cities in the northeast and midwest.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:11 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,102,297 times
One day soon you'll probably have everything within walking distance!

But for now, go to www.usps.com and click on the locator button in the red line at the top. Enter your address and you'll get the P.O. for your area. Then just go to one of the mapping sites to get your directions -- and if you're very lucky it will not take you 10 more miles out of the way!

I know it might be a drive for you, but if it's really important, try The Fresh Market on Dr. Phillips Blvd. in SW Orlando. Check them out at www.thefreshmarket.com and look in the Orlando location. I think there's only one.

There really are not those homey little grocers, etc. too often found in this area. Competition is too great for them to stay in business.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:42 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,220,810 times
JC...look up Albertson's on the web. The one near my home has a meat case where you can select the cuts you want and I'm sure they will cut it for you as well. Publix will also custom cut meat - you just have to ring the bell, talk to the butcher and ask for it. They are usually very quick to give good customer service in my experience.

I am located a few miles north of you off Narcossee Road - our subdivision was built about the same time as some of the ones in Lake Nona.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a good hairdresser here that I love so I am still driving back to Winter Park to get my hair done. I don't do massages unless I'm on a cruise, so can't recommend that either. Welcome to the area and don't worry - you won't be isolated long. They are already building a Home Depot and a Lowe's right across the street from one another at the intersection of Lee Vista and Narcossee Road - not far from you.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 75,223 times
thanks so much for your help. It is getting easier each time I venture out to find things, but the hair salon is going to be a necessity fairly soon. So far, I've only seen the chain type salons, like Great Clips, etc, and I'm not really interested in that type of place. I want a professional stylist that I can count on to do a nice job. If you know of someone that you can recommend, even if I have to drive a moderate distance, please let me know. The stylist I had in Ohio took 4 weeks to get into for appointments, so I'm used to having to wait. The small salon I went to, by the Publix just north of 417 on Narcoossee, did not really meet my standards. The girl who cut my hair (because I was in desperate need) didn't listen to a word I said, and she really hacked my hair up. I even took a picture (of myself post-haircut by my Ohio stylist) in, and the only thing she did was criticize my style!!

I do hear that there are plans to build a hospital, and more businesses are coming to the 417/Narcoossee Rd area, so I know things will be popping up down here, and I look forward to having more conveniences close by. We did find a market up near Dr. Phillips, called The Fresh Market - went there Saturday, and it is somewhat similar to my favorite market back in Ohio, only on a much smaller scale. Thanks again for your reply, anything is helpful at this point.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:27 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,220,810 times
JC, do you receive the Vista View? It is the area newsletter for the communites of Vista Lakes/Lake Nona. It is delivered to area homes on the 15th of each month. You will find alot of local businesses/services advertised there as well as local news. If you don't get it, you can call them at 407 381 8026 or email info@vistaviewnews dot com.

Unfortunately, my old hair stylist in Winter Park has gotten married and moved out of town. I called for an appointment only to find out she's gone! So, I went to a local salon and had the same experience you did. The young man just started cutting, I had to stop him to tell him how I wanted it cut - but it did no good. He didn't listen to me and I have an awful hair cut. Now I'm waiting until I go home (SC) for Christmas to my mom's stylist to try to get it straightened out. So, I have the same request of you, if you find a good salon/stylist in the area, please let me know!

Glad you found The Fresh Market. The very best market of that kind is Whole Foods Market. It is fantastic!! It was only a couple of miles from my house in Winter Park - unfortunately it's about 12 miles from you (and 10 miles from us now). If you ever have a chance to go, it's on Aloma and Lakemont. Just take 417 north and get off on Aloma. Turn left towards Winter Park. When you pass 436, start watching. The Whole Foods Market will be several blocks ahead on your right. From my current home it would take me about 15-20 minutes to get there depending on how heavy the traffic is on Aloma. So, it shouldn't take much longer for you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 37,514 times
Smile Nice Hair Salon at Florida Mall

Hi JC: Like someone said on one of the posts, most people that live around here moved here to get away from it all. It was kind of hard in the beginning, but you get used to driving everywhere. It took me a couple of years, but I finally found a nice salon at the Florida Mall. You can try Salon Cielo, 407-251-2247 and ask for Nil. I'm not sure how much you want to spend on a hair cut, but to me she is worth every penny I spend. They also offer massages and other services. I'm sure you would like it. There is a close post office by the airport. I usually take jetport drive to go there,but it is closed right now. I think you can take 528 and exit on Conway, then turn right on Conway and keep going, but I can't be sure. I have other post offices close to my job so I don't go there much. Your best bet will probably be to look online. Anyways, welcome to Orlando! hope the info helps and enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts, things are going to get pretty crazy around here soon.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:42 PM

4 posts, read 51,565 times
Default Lake Nona Area

Hello there! I am so surprised to find a post from my area. I recently moved to Lake Nona, and I am also looking for services. So far, I have found that the customer service at Publix is excellent and it is true, you ring the bell and they cut the meat for you. Someone told me about the Winter Park Farmer's Market each Saturday morning starting at 7 am. I believe I am going to go this Saturday to check it out!
About the post office: there are actually two post offices that serve our area. One is located in the office park behind Chili's on Semoran Blvd (north of Airport) and the other one is the postal office on Tradeport (west of Airport). This one is a GPO and opens until 10pm.
Have anyone visited the Italian restaurant on Lee Vista, Pasquale..is it good? Because I do not like Carrieras. Any other good places to eat out around this area? There are a lot of new developments for his area.
# 1 ~ Vista Palms, the street mall on Lee Vista & Narcoossee. It will include Walgreen's (across from CVS), Home Depot, Fairwinds Credit Union, three restaurants & more. Maybe a Target.
# 2 ~ Then on the corner of Hoffner & S Goldenrod, we will have Super Wal-mart and (I believe) Lowe's.
# 3 ~ Randall Park, north of Dowden Rd (future Alafaya Trail) east of La Viña & north of East Park. A town center with grocery store, movie theater with 7 screens, elementary school, and houses by Centex Homes. Maybe a hotel.
# 4 ~ Lake Nona Village, on Northlake Parkway & Narcoossee (where the Park Square Sales Office is located), 14 small buildings combining residential & commercial use. Probably a coffee shop, a salon, who knows?
# 5 ~ MALL south of Lake Nona Blvd (where DiVosta is located)& 417.
Another movie theater (20+ screens).
# 6 ~ South of that area, Regional Park with water slides and lazy river.
# 7 ~ Narcoossee & Eagle Creek area (south of 417), a High School.
# 8 ~ New Fire Station on Narcoossee & East Park entrance
# 9 ~ New area Public Library also coming to this area soon
Well, hope that helps, please keep me posted!

Old 02-11-2007, 01:08 PM

93 posts, read 404,338 times
To add - Outback is coming to Narcoossee across from McDonald's. There is a 1.1 million Sq. Ft. mall going by the 417 near Narcoossee. If you are south on 417 it will be on your left side.

Between Lake Nona and North Lake Park it will be all business and residences going in there also.

Lowes, Home Depot will go across from CVS. No Target - that is a rumor for now.

The Post Office on Tradeport Road is open 7 days a week until midnight. If you drive west on Narcoossee towards Lee Vista - the Hess Station has a mini post office inside - closer than the one on Lee Vista. To pick up the mail for our community - we have to go to the Post Officce at Goldenrod and Curry Ford Road.

There is an argentinian meat store/butcher across the street from Holy Cross Catholic Church on John Young Parkway. You can have homemade sausage and special cuts of meats.

North Shore at Lake Hart is getting a new elementary opening in August. Orange County is broke ground on a new firehouse on Moss Park Road. In case you are wondering - Narcoossee is a city Road and some of the side streets are County Roads so we have two different governments. The firehouse on Narcoossee across from Lake Nona - City of Orlando. To tell the difference - look at the street signs. City of Orlando has a fountain on them and Orange County has the orange blossom.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 37,418 times
Default Lake Nona area newcomer

Hi,
I just read your posting on city-data Orlando back in December.
Did you find a place to buy meats? Petty's in Longwood & Whole Foods
both have meat counters.

I found your posting interesting, as I am from akron, OH and have a hard
time finding good produce, meats, seafood, etc.

Lombardi's in Winter Park has fresh seafood and there is one other one
in Altamonte. I'll try to find the name of it.

Beth in lake nona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando