Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 10:24 AM

28 posts, read 20,904 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Orlando soon to go to Velencia. I'll be renting an apartment with someone and I'm wondering what's the best area to live. I was looking at metro place and it looked all nice in the pictures, but then i heard it's a ghetto over there :/.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:49 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
Anything on Kirkman or in MetroWest is going to be bad. What is your budget?

The best area nearby is Dr. Phillips but it is expensive. You might want to look at Williamsburg or Lake Buena Vista. It's 15-20 minutes to Valencia but you steer clear of the crime.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:10 AM

28 posts, read 20,904 times
We're not looking for anything super expensive. Something around $300-500$ for each of us. We might be getting a 3 bedroom or 2 bedroom apartment. We're still not sure about the 3rd person.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:12 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,405 times
Which campus?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:37 PM

133 posts, read 277,643 times
I would not recommend Metro Place. That's an affordable housing complex for people who meet income limits. Even type in Metro Place Orlando in on Youtube and you will see the type of people who live there. Keep in mind if you and your friend find an apartment that's in the 700s for a two-bedroom, it's most likely under the affordable housing program and the both of your incomes together would have to fall into the window of eligibility for a two-bedroom. If you want to live in Metrowest, then I would stay on the west side of Kirkman Road. See if the two of you could maybe rent a condo together. The Stonebridge Community is very nice. Try searching condos in 32835.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:43 PM

133 posts, read 277,643 times
Oh and everything on Raleigh Street is bad too, so try and stay as close as possible to South Hiawassee Road.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:23 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Anything on Kirkman or in MetroWest is going to be bad. What is your budget?

The best area nearby is Dr. Phillips but it is expensive. You might want to look at Williamsburg or Lake Buena Vista. It's 15-20 minutes to Valencia but you steer clear of the crime.
Why do you take EVERY opportunity you can to put down Metrowest?

"Anything" in Metrowest? Really?!?

Please get off your Dr. Phillips "high horse." Just because your parents were able to put you through DP High School doesn't mean you should belittle Metrowest.

What you don't understand is that your constant berating of Metrowest shows up in random searches and perpetuates the false stereotype that Metrowest is unsafe, and this harms the home values of the people who have worked hard for their homes.

You do realize that DP borders Metrowest, don't you? Are you telling us that the criminals are going to say, "Well, DP is less than 1/2 a mile away, let's just target Metrowest?"

Please enlighten us with all of the areas in Metrowest that I should fear for my life?

Admittedly, metrowest does have a few problem areas, and many like to associate Kirkman with Metrowest when it actually isn't, but it isn't this horrible place that brinkofsunshine always makes it out to be.

Anyway....

OP, I would take a look at some of the apartments off of Lake Debra drive or perhaps a place in Bermuda Dunes?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:10 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
Whoops, I guess I hit a nerve! I apologize for the wording. Honestly I don't set out to berate the area, I happen live nearby and when it comes up (especially if someone is thinking of moving to Kirkman), I feel compelled to warn them. The police have been trying to fight the problem there for a while now, I believe it has gotten better but the apartments near Valencia on Kirkman are still bad. Unfortunately It's always been a buffer zone from Pine Hills. The closer to Hiawassee/Conroy-Windermere the better. Since OP was already looking at places near Valencia and has a small budget, they're not going to get anything nice over there.

Last edited by brinkofsunshine; 06-14-2013 at 06:21 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 09:29 PM

329 posts, read 700,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx2O11xX View Post
I would not recommend Metro Place. That's an affordable housing complex for people who meet income limits. Even type in Metro Place Orlando in on Youtube and you will see the type of people who live there..
An advertisement I found for the apartment complex mentioned:

Metro Place Fight ` - YouTube

Old 06-15-2013, 12:32 AM

680 posts, read 1,921,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Whoops, I guess I hit a nerve! I apologize for the wording. Honestly I don't set out to berate the area, I happen live nearby and when it comes up (especially if someone is thinking of moving to Kirkman), I feel compelled to warn them. The police have been trying to fight the problem there for a while now, I believe it has gotten better but the apartments near Valencia on Kirkman are still bad. Unfortunately It's always been a buffer zone from Pine Hills. The closer to Hiawassee/Conroy-Windermere the better. Since OP was already looking at places near Valencia and has a small budget, they're not going to get anything nice over there.

No worries.... Please be a little more careful with blanket statements.... I've been guilty of making some as well in the past.

Unfortunately, misinformation about Metrowest harms me, my friends, and neighbors, so I took it personally. What's sad is that there are so many nice areas in Metrowest and 32835 that get lumped in with the Kirkman/Raleigh/Walmart nonsense, that I'm willing to bet that a simple zip code change to 32819 or 34786 would instantly change their desirability.

I really try not to respond to all of the Metrowest haters out there, but every once in awhile I feel the need to chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: