Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 11:52 AM

15 posts, read 130,008 times

Advertisements

Hi, I plan on moving to Orlando from NY state and have been trying to find an apartment online. I've been dismayed at many of the reviews I've read about some of the areas where these apartments are. I will be working near Sea World, and have been told this area was good, but it seems quite pricey. Any suggestions for areas in Orlando that are safe, nice, well maintained for a young professional? I was hoping to find something around 600$/mo, but am thinking this is not possible with the housing shortage/turning apt in condos I keep hearing and reading about. I am starting to reconsider my decision to move there. Thank you for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2006, 07:24 AM

312 posts, read 1,904,892 times
Hi, I can help with your question. Most of the apartments that are located near the attractions are the most expensive. You may be better off finding the good rate that is away from the attraction.

Altamonte Springs is a nice area - you'll have to drive 15 to 20 minutes to go to your work near Sea Worlds area. Kissimmee is not that bad, but traffic is really bad there.

Your best bet is to contact Sea Worlds, even though you don't work for them, and ask about rental housing info. Go to Orlando chamber of commerce website and ask for relocation package comes to your mailbox. Some realtors can assist you.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 79,889 times
Default Did you find anything? Did anyone respond?

Hello,
I read your question below, and I too am looking to move to the Orlando area. Did anyone respond or did you find a safe apartment in Orlando?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
Hi, I plan on moving to Orlando from NY state and have been trying to find an apartment online. I've been dismayed at many of the reviews I've read about some of the areas where these apartments are. I will be working near Sea World, and have been told this area was good, but it seems quite pricey. Any suggestions for areas in Orlando that are safe, nice, well maintained for a young professional? I was hoping to find something around 600$/mo, but am thinking this is not possible with the housing shortage/turning apt in condos I keep hearing and reading about. I am starting to reconsider my decision to move there. Thank you for any suggestions.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:28 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,436 times
Altamonte is much farther than 20 minutes from Sea World. . . besides it is no jem either, traffic, congestion, and crime of its own. I don't know why one would suggest this? Avoid Metro West. There are many sketchy areas around Sea World and the tourist district. . robberies etc. Be careful. I don't know if 600 will get you an apartment, maybe an efficiency. Maybe you could find someone who needs a roomate? Good luck. .

Old 03-26-2007, 01:46 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,888 times
I lived in Altamonte as a young professional and found it to be really great. It has a lot of traffic but it also has everything you could ever want and the drive would be around 30 minutes but not much more. However, I think that finding a roommate would be a great idea if it was something you were willing to do. Go to roomates.com and 600 a month can go a long way to getting a pretty good apartment in a descent area.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:25 PM

442 posts, read 2,912,712 times
Traffic=Florida the whole state!

Old 03-26-2007, 06:18 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,436 times
Someone gave me a red dot-a negative rep for my advise to the person regarding commuting from Altamonte to Sea world with the comment "why so negative". First it was not negative, but informative and trying to be helpful. I am sending this to the moderator of forum and ask them to remove this, and hopefully warn the poster who gave it to me that they should not give those out because they disagree.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:29 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,888 times
I think I am getting used to the traffic or I just don't think it is as bad as some other towns but I still think you have a good point AJ67

Old 03-27-2007, 12:34 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
Safe: That iwll be hard, Orlando has become pretty violent in the past 2 or 3 years. A suburb maybe would be the place for you? I can suggest Lake Mary, Windermere, or if you don't mind driving a bit more (and toughing out more traffic), Deltona.

Affordable: That is very broad and people who live in So. Cal would think Orlando is affordable, while most people would agree Orlando is very expensive in terms of housing and insurance costs.

Houses in deplorable, crappy neighborhoods start at $260,000 in Orlando. Please note the word 'deplorable'. You will get it once you come visit the neighborhood at night or on weekends. It will be a mess you probably never seen before. But to avoiud most nasty neighborhoods, you need top try and live in the 'burbs. Like I said Lake Mary is very nice, so is Oviedo and etc. But again, nice homes come with a high price tag, unless you are willing to commute Orlando-Deltona.

Nice: Orlando/Florida's weather sucks, in my humble opinion. But if you are oknwith 100 degrees daily, with 100% humidity for 9 straight months, you will be ok. Otherwise, forget it!

Orlando/Florida is nice in the sense that there is no state income tax and homestead expenption protects from bankrupcy (granted you can AFFORD to pay for the high costs associated with the house, i.e. insurance, property taxes, etc).

Old 03-27-2007, 12:50 PM

442 posts, read 2,912,712 times
any where you move to these days there is a battle with the traffic, because most of us have to work there for if we have to commute we have to hit some sort of traffic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando