Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:06 PM

7 posts, read 17,493 times

Advertisements

hi! im from nyc and i wanted to know if central florida university is a good college? im majoring in hospitality management. is there like subways in florida like transit in nyc is the mta i dunno about florida.is there like lizards EVERWHERE? cause im kind of scared of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 01:19 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestcarmenxd View Post
hi! im from nyc and i wanted to know if central florida university is a good college? im majoring in hospitality management. is there like subways in florida like transit in nyc is the mta i dunno about florida.is there like lizards EVERWHERE? cause im kind of scared of them.

Ok, I'll try to answer....
The only subways in Florida sell sandwiches.....we are at sea level so they would pretty much flood before they were even built.

We have a bus system....I don't use it so I won't be able to comment on that.

All of my bosses are UCF (it's University of Central Florida btw) grads and are doing well in life. Some people say that UCF stands for You Can't Finish.
Like any school you get out what you put in.

Sorry but you will encounter the lizards....they are harmless and after awhile you probably won't even notice them.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:04 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,145,393 times
I graduated from UCF in their college of business.

UCF has a great hospitality management program, it even has it's own separate campus near international drive and the convention centers (major tourist area).

There are definetly no subways in FL, except the sandwich shops, and the only real public transportation is the bus. No commuter trains either at the moment. Either have a car or live walking distance to the school and make good friends.

As far as lizards, do you mean the little 2-5 ich guys? or are you thinking alligators and iguana's? There are a billion of the little guys around, that you won't even notice after a while, and are on just about every sidewalk. Gators and larger lizards are few and far between unless out in the more rural parts or Central Florida.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:04 PM

127 posts, read 499,588 times
UCF is a great school..fast becomming one of the largest in FL..and with so many new rennovations like a new stadium and little downtown area (SO JEALOUS I AM)....i am graduating in DEC and wont get to expierence all these cool new things as a student

It has its rep of U Can't Finish...but that was prob started by a buncha slackers...Everyone i know, myself included, are graduating on time...i enjoyed my 4 years there and will continue with a MAsters there too.

Ahh the lizards..yeah..you'll forget they are even around after a while...nothing to worry about.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:21 AM

266 posts, read 1,161,752 times
If those crazy little lizards really bother you, buy a cat....they LOVE em!

Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 PM

127 posts, read 499,588 times
haha ooooh so true...can't count how many times i've seen my cat running around with a lizzard tail hanging out of her mouth..used to gross me out now i dont even notice.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:24 PM

7 posts, read 17,493 times
haha thanks you guys for the replies. i was choosing between uni of central florida and florida international university. from reading this site seems like orlando is safer than miami. they both seem to have hospitality management.

i used to live in PR for like 8 years and i was always around lizards but i tried my best to avoid them. then i moved to NYC and have been living there for 7 years kind of got used to having no lizards around. i have like a phobia with lizards lol well i ran into a few in petland and kind of got my fears back so lets hope when i go to florida ill be fine.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:31 PM

266 posts, read 1,161,752 times
Default Orlando vs. Miami????

Not even a contest....go Orlando - hands down. Particularly when you're comparing UCF with FIU!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:19 AM

13 posts, read 44,954 times
Cant speak about anywhere esle in florida but orlando, orlando public trans is just a bus system. Its decent. Not as robust as any of the ones up north, (i'm in rochester and i have visited only a few cities in the south), but they are adequate. Depending on where you going on the bus it can be a half hours or 2 hour right. and their arent alot of connecting busses. It all looks the same the first few times you ride it *LOL*. I havent been in orlando in a few years but they had a gps system on the bus that called out stops so you didnt worry about getting lost too much. Drivers were helpful but not always knowledgable of the routes like home. But besides that its pretty good. just took some time to get used too. and since you moving (i hope to be next october/november) you'll get used to it real quick. They have a bus that will take you right too UCF. So long as you learn what bus to take to an from from you house your good.

website for the bus system is here LYNX - Welcome to LYNX!

good luck

Quote:

Old 10-26-2007, 01:46 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,674 times
Quote:

Yeah UCF is a good college from everyone i know that goes there saying that they like going there......Its not as spotlighted as the bigger "football" schools but UCF i believe is the biggest college in the state from something i read somewhere......if you end up coming down and not liking it you can always transfer over to Valencia ......

Valencia is a smaller university and is alot cheaper....I know alot of people in my time here that have gone to Valencia.....as for lizards....well they don't really hurt anything....they are really scared of us....i tryed catching some just to hold them but they always run.....Alligators are out in the sticks ...and not really near any cities here.....there has been weird cases every now and then where an alligator will make its way out to the far out areas near suburbs but that is really rare....

The everyday person doesnt ever see them near any part of the city or suburbs......the only time ive ever seen them was 2 or 3 times up close....and i was playing out in the woods 2 of the times up in north Florida....and the other time i was driving across "Alligator Alley" down in the Everglades and 3 of them were just sitting in the middle of the road.....we had to wait for them to move

Good luck with your decision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando