Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 04:20 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times

Advertisements

If you ever go to Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, there are alligators in the lake (park) across the street, also in the lake in front of the office complex on the other corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 07:14 PM

13 posts, read 44,957 times
Valencia is just a 2 year i believe. Its VCC Valencia community college. Nice school. Really Nice school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Yeah UCF is a good college from everyone i know that goes there saying that they like going there......Its not as spotlighted as the bigger "football" schools but UCF i believe is the biggest college in the state from something i read somewhere......if you end up coming down and not liking it you can always transfer over to Valencia ......

Valencia is a smaller university and is alot cheaper....I know alot of people in my time here that have gone to Valencia.....as for lizards....well they don't really hurt anything....they are really scared of us....i tryed catching some just to hold them but they always run.....Alligators are out in the sticks ...and not really near any cities here.....there has been weird cases every now and then where an alligator will make its way out to the far out areas near suburbs but that is really rare....

The everyday person doesnt ever see them near any part of the city or suburbs......the only time ive ever seen them was 2 or 3 times up close....and i was playing out in the woods 2 of the times up in north Florida....and the other time i was driving across "Alligator Alley" down in the Everglades and 3 of them were just sitting in the middle of the road.....we had to wait for them to move

Good luck with your decision

Old 10-26-2007, 09:00 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Go with UCF!! I'm a former 'knight' so I'll share my experience of it: Im not from Orlando so I was VERY unfamiliar with the area when I relocated for school. The transportation system cannot be compared to NYC in anyway but you do have several buses that can take you to a few key locations around town (theres a bus depot right on campus near the parking garages and there are a few bus stops up and down the main road outside of the school). You'll meet alot of people fairly quickly so that's a big plus as far as getting to know the area and finding transportation.

UCF is a good school- very LARGE but very friendly. There are tons of activities and groups to join and if you live off campus, your apt complex will also have an activities committee that you can check out. There's the huge outdoor mall down the block- Waterford Lakes- its been around for about 4 years? now- it's still fairly new. GREAT place to eat, go to the movies, and shop. Also it's not situated in what I would call a 'city' or urban area. Im from NYC so I know that you'll agree with my impression of it. It's more 'suburban' compared to some other areas.

Also, this school has had the rep of U CANT FINISH partly because of the slackers (its a very comfy atmosphere there) and ALSO because of the growth of the school- enrollment grew so large that people could not get the classes they wanted so it took forever to graduate. Hopefully, that has all been ironed out at this point. But hey, I graduated and I didn't have a problem.

Now about your major- I wasnt a hospitality major but I remember hearing what a great reputation the program had around the city. When I left, I believe they had just completed the new hospitality campus near the resorts and parks. I drove by it when they were constructing it but it was gorgeous from what I could see. What better place to be in than orlando for hospitality (particularly this area)?

If FIU and UCF are the only two that you are deciding from I would highly recommend UCF. I havent been to FIU so I don't very much about them but let us know what you decide!

Old 10-27-2007, 03:48 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Go with UCF!! I'm a former 'knight' so I'll share my experience of it: Im not from Orlando so I was VERY unfamiliar with the area when I relocated for school. The transportation system cannot be compared to NYC in anyway but you do have several buses that can take you to a few key locations around town (theres a bus depot right on campus near the parking garages and there are a few bus stops up and down the main road outside of the school). You'll meet alot of people fairly quickly so that's a big plus as far as getting to know the area and finding transportation.

UCF is a good school- very LARGE but very friendly. There are tons of activities and groups to join and if you live off campus, your apt complex will also have an activities committee that you can check out. There's the huge outdoor mall down the block- Waterford Lakes- its been around for about 4 years? now- it's still fairly new. GREAT place to eat, go to the movies, and shop. Also it's not situated in what I would call a 'city' or urban area. Im from NYC so I know that you'll agree with my impression of it. It's more 'suburban' compared to some other areas.

Also, this school has had the rep of U CANT FINISH partly because of the slackers (its a very comfy atmosphere there) and ALSO because of the growth of the school- enrollment grew so large that people could not get the classes they wanted so it took forever to graduate. Hopefully, that has all been ironed out at this point. But hey, I graduated and I didn't have a problem.

Now about your major- I wasnt a hospitality major but I remember hearing what a great reputation the program had around the city. When I left, I believe they had just completed the new hospitality campus near the resorts and parks. I drove by it when they were constructing it but it was gorgeous from what I could see. What better place to be in than orlando for hospitality (particularly this area)?

If FIU and UCF are the only two that you are deciding from I would highly recommend UCF. I havent been to FIU so I don't very much about them but let us know what you decide!
I would second UCF over FIU also....i lived in Miami too and FIU didnt seem as established as UCF and Miami is probably not the town to be in if you wanna focus on getting a degree compared to Orlando....there are so many temptations and distractions to get caught up in down there....that's kind of why all those Hurricanes football players started going to jail back in tha day and when i went to higschool there it was a different world and hard to focus on school with all the crap going on in my neighborhood....so to make a long story longer ....i would pick UCF

Old 10-27-2007, 11:26 PM

7 posts, read 17,497 times
thanks a lot pretty gyrl 777. u have been very helpful. i havent visited florida so im have no idea how is there. read some books but doesnt say anything negative of course and rarely talk about if the college is good or not. mostly it will say its good. so thank you very much. im still looking for other colleges in florida that have hospitality management so if anyone know anymore please tell me. i was also lookin at FSU, Florida State University. if anyone knows anythign about that school please inform me.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:23 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times
Default Ucf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestcarmenxd View Post
hi! im from nyc and i wanted to know if central florida university is a good college? im majoring in hospitality management. is there like subways in florida like transit in nyc is the mta i dunno about florida.is there like lizards EVERWHERE? cause im kind of scared of them.

My son is a UCF HM grad. He had nothing bad to say except that he had to take 2 years of Spanish!

Good luck!

Dee Toohey
Home

Old 10-30-2007, 08:41 PM

7 posts, read 17,497 times
well in high school i took ap spanish so i dont think they will make me take it but i dont mind taking a new language lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando