Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 05:10 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearyjoy View Post
This info is really helpful. I did look at the map and it seems Windmere is closer to Disney than Winter Garden. We are looking to live not far from the "touristy" Area. Hubby is a Chef looking for work and we figured he could possibly get work at any of the restaurants/hotel restarants in that area. Did not want the commute to be too long. Windmere seems to be surrounded by a lot of lakes. Does that meant there is a problem with snakes and gators?
There are lakes everywhere in Florida, so I wouldn't base where to live and where not to live off of that, unless you're thinking of buying something directly on the lake (for that, though, prepare to dish out 1 Million+ in Windermere). Gators won't bother you unless you're standing at the edge of a lake (gator attacks are rare). Snakes are everywhere in Florida... it's just a part of living here.

If you're looking to be near close to where all of the restaurants are, I'd really consider Dr. Phillips. It has its own stretch of road called "Restaurant Row" by locals (it's Sand Lake Rd. between Apopka-Vineland Rd. and I-4), as well as being convenient to Universal, Disney, SeaWorld and International Drive. Windermere is great, but it's further out (especially the area off of 535, which is cheaper and in a lesser school zone).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
This info is really helpful. I did look at the map and it seems Windmere is closer to Disney than Winter Garden. We are looking to live not far from the "touristy" Area. Hubby is a Chef looking for work and we figured he could possibly get work at any of the restaurants/hotel restarants in that area. Did not want the commute to be too long. Windmere seems to be surrounded by a lot of lakes. Does that meant there is a problem with snakes and gators?
You might want to have him check into salaries for chef's before you go much further. Depending on his experience he could be making as little as $10/hour. There are good paying chef's jobs in the area, but generally you need to work your way up the ladder or already be here and have the right network to get in. Most chefs jobs at better restaurants in this area aren't advertised, they are hired through word of mouth--even in the hotels.

Disney doesn't generally hire upper level chefs (executive, Chef de cuisine, Sous) from the outside, their chef service starts as commis in counter service or if lucky a moderate type restaurant and works it's way up. Also with the exception of Scott Hunnel, they rotate chefs through all the restaurants, so while he might be the executive chef at the California Grill, six months later he could be running the food court at Pop Century. (They lose some of their better talent every year as a result.)

Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 PM

56 posts, read 92,392 times
Good Evening! You are all great with the info. I really appreciate it. Hubby is prepared for starting low and working his way up. I don't think he necesarily cares if he works directly for Disney or not. Just thinking since there are lots of attractions, there are lots of restaurants to apply to. I noticed no one talks about the Kissimmee area. Is that because it is not a nice area? Just trying to explore all options. I know we rented a house a couple of times in Kissimee when we were on vacation, but that was about 10 years ago. Can't really remember what it was like. Sorry If I ask so many questions, but this is a big move and I really want to be prepared. Thanks.

Also, any info on where to find good rental properties?

Thank you all

Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 AM

If you have children, Kissimmee is not where you want to be. As far as where to look, it depends on your price range.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 AM

Wow! Okay. No Kissimmee. Any particular reason why? Just curious.

As far as budget, remember I am coming from NY. A 1 bedroom apartment goes for $1200.00 a month here. I am hoping to pay no more than $1000 a month. I am guessing I could start in Windermere. Once I am there for a year, I will be able to look around more and then settle on a place to buy in a year or two.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Wow! Okay. No Kissimmee. Any particular reason why? Just curious.

As far as budget, remember I am coming from NY. A 1 bedroom apartment goes for $1200.00 a month here. I am hoping to pay no more than $1000 a month. I am guessing I could start in Windermere. Once I am there for a year, I will be able to look around more and then settle on a place to buy in a year or two.
Schools are bad and overall the residential neighborhoods leave a lot to be desired.

$1000 a month might be tight, if you could go to $1200 there will be a lot of 3/2 options in good neighborhoods. Look in Dr. Phillips, Windermere, the portion of Winter Garden that butts against Windermere or the area off 535 or near Winter Garden Village. I generally would avoid Ocoee, there are a few decent areas, much of it leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Schools are bad and overall the residential neighborhoods leave a lot to be desired.

$1000 a month might be tight, if you could go to $1200 there will be a lot of 3/2 options in good neighborhoods. Look in Dr. Phillips, Windermere, the portion of Winter Garden that butts against Windermere or the area off 535 or near Winter Garden Village. I generally would avoid Ocoee, there are a few decent areas, much of it leaves a lot to be desired.
We dont really need 3 bedrooms to start. 2 Bedrooms will do us just fine. I though $1000 would be good.

So General question, what is a "bad" School. One of my issues here is the school system I am in has gone down tremendously. So it may be better than what we have here. My baby is only 1 now, but I want to be in a good school zone so when its time for her to go, we will be ready.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:51 PM

You are talking about renting and then buying, I wouldn't worry too much about what school district at this point--I was thinking your child (or children) were older. I still wouldn't live in Kissimmee. Blech. There are soo many nicer areas out there.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:35 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Quote:
We dont really need 3 bedrooms to start. 2 Bedrooms will do us just fine. I though $1000 would be good.

So General question, what is a "bad" School. One of my issues here is the school system I am in has gone down tremendously. So it may be better than what we have here. My baby is only 1 now, but I want to be in a good school zone so when its time for her to go, we will be ready.
So are you looking for an apartment or a house? Most houses built in Orlando, at least recently, start at 3 bedrooms. A downtown bungalow or a townhouse will usually have 2 beds.. but not the new construction single-family homes.

I just looked up some of the apartment communities in Windermere and they all seem to be in the $1,200 range for a two-bedroom. There's not really any apartments in Dr. Phillips (The Landmark and Montevista are the only two I would consider to be a part of the community), although there are some older, two-bedroom townhouses going for the same price.

Schools are graded yearly based on the student population's FCAT scores. The best schools fetch A's and B's while the worst schools will get F's and D's. Generally, the more affluent the area the better the schools.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You are talking about renting and then buying, I wouldn't worry too much about what school district at this point--I was thinking your child (or children) were older. I still wouldn't live in Kissimmee. Blech. There are soo many nicer areas out there.
Yes, I want to rent first. I have a 1 year old, but my sister is also relocating as well. She has middle and High school age kids. So I had her in mind as well. But I see still no Kissimmee. We rented vacation houses there once and it seemed like a nice place. I guess it has declined a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando