Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 AM

3 posts, read 11,643 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving from Buffalo, NY to Daytona Beach in July. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best areas to get an apartment in. Also, I've heard and read a lot about the crime rate being super high and I was wondering if this is a really noticable problem down there? Any advice or anything you have to say at all about living in Daytona would be super helpful and appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 AM

12,638 posts, read 32,313,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherx025 View Post
Hello, I am moving from Buffalo, NY to Daytona Beach in July. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best areas to get an apartment in. Also, I've heard and read a lot about the crime rate being super high and I was wondering if this is a really noticable problem down there? Any advice or anything you have to say at all about living in Daytona would be super helpful and appreciated!
They have cleaned Daytona Beach up a lot. There are still several homeless people and also there is crime. It is better to look in Daytona Beach Shores. I like to visit Daytona on occasion but you do have to be picky where you live. Let me ask, why did you chose Daytona? You might want to check out New Smyrna or Ormand as well.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM

27,337 posts, read 44,670,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
They have cleaned Daytona Beach up a lot. There are still several homeless people and also there is crime. It is better to look in Daytona Beach Shores. I like to visit Daytona on occasion but you do have to be picky where you live. Let me ask, why did you chose Daytona? You might want to check out New Smyrna or Ormand as well.
^^ I agree and would ask, why???? There are many much nicer places on the coast in Florida that don't have the unsafe vibe of Daytona Beach.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 PM

699 posts, read 2,234,281 times
we lived there for 8 years. it's no more crime ridden than any other area in florida and we've lived in tampa bay, daytona, ft. myers, and south florida.

we're partial to the beaches, and there are rentals in all price ranges there.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:13 AM

161 posts, read 415,672 times
Daytona is not the crime-ridden, scum filled hell on earth that some on these boards would like you to think
Like most places, you have to know what areas to avoid, and you will figure that out quick enough. Look to rent in Port Orange or Ormond Beach. Don't expect to find a decent job though.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:38 AM

27,337 posts, read 44,670,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeGirl78 View Post
Daytona is not the crime-ridden, scum filled hell on earth that some on these boards would like you to think
Like most places, you have to know what areas to avoid, and you will figure that out quick enough. Look to rent in Port Orange or Ormond Beach. Don't expect to find a decent job though.
Not to be pissy, but if it's not that bad why are you recommending areas outside of the city like Port Orange or Ormond Beach?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:57 AM

12,638 posts, read 32,313,435 times
We stay by the Boardwalk sometimes. If you go out during the night, there are shady characters around. Not saying it's the worst place for crime but you need to be aware of it.

IMHO, there are better places to live nearby then you can visit Daytona.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 AM

161 posts, read 415,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not to be pissy, but if it's not that bad why are you recommending areas outside of the city like Port Orange or Ormond Beach?
Port Orange and Ormond are basically suburbs of Daytona. I consider it all the "Daytona Area". I didn't realize I had to be specific in actual boundaries. If you live in P.O or O.B you will cross the lines into Daytona proper, to work shop etc. I suggested those areas because in my opinion they have the best housing.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,977 times
Hey heather, I am from jamestown, ny and looking to move to daytona this summer too. I would love to keep in touch and share any good info we come across. I am going to visit in June and check things out. I am most concerned about finding a safe and affordable apartment. Do you have a job lined up?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM

3 posts, read 11,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea267 View Post
Hey heather, I am from jamestown, ny and looking to move to daytona this summer too. I would love to keep in touch and share any good info we come across. I am going to visit in June and check things out. I am most concerned about finding a safe and affordable apartment. Do you have a job lined up?

Yea my friend is going in May to look around and then we are both going at the end of June at the end of a Disney trip to basically finalize everything we figure out. I have the same concern with finding a safe and affordable apartment. So yea definitley anything more we find out in these next months I'll let you know and if you could do the same as well. I am going to be transfering through my company to have a job when I get there and then look into whats available when I'm there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando