Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:50 PM

134 posts, read 385,312 times

Advertisements

I have been told Daytona is a great place for a single guy to have some rockin fun. That the service industry runs from Jan-April and there is great job oppurtunity that pays the bills during that time. I know this is the Orlando section but Orlando is the closest section to Daytona right??

Anyway I have also heard traffic can be a by-ach and crime can be sporatic (like any other place people want to go).

So I want to get the low down on the possibilities for guys who want to move on or very close by Daytona, and what I am looking at for night life, day event, jobs, the money I should bring with me to get myself set up, and the whole background on this area from a single guys perspective.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 02:01 PM

36 posts, read 221,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack wild View Post
I have been told Daytona is a great place for a single guy to have some rockin fun. That the service industry runs from Jan-April and there is great job oppurtunity that pays the bills during that time. I know this is the Orlando section but Orlando is the closest section to Daytona right??

Anyway I have also heard traffic can be a by-ach and crime can be sporatic (like any other place people want to go).

So I want to get the low down on the possibilities for guys who want to move on or very close by Daytona, and what I am looking at for night life, day event, jobs, the money I should bring with me to get myself set up, and the whole background on this area from a single guys perspective.

Thanks guys.
Jobs in the Daytona really dont pay much from my view.Its nice to hang out on the strip in Daytona but usually not much going on except weekends.Orlando is aprox 1 hr drive,but to me Orlando is kind of a slow tourist town.Thats just my take being from Miami-I like it a little faster more going on as far as nitelife.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
Jobs in the Daytona really dont pay much from my view.Its nice to hang out on the strip in Daytona but usually not much going on except weekends.Orlando is aprox 1 hr drive,but to me Orlando is kind of a slow tourist town.Thats just my take being from Miami-I like it a little faster more going on as far as nitelife.
Well how many times have you BEEN to Daytona? I would be going down there around February to get a service job for when all the tourists come, then probably bouncing to martha's vinyard to do their season in April -- if I don't find something that can support me for the offseason. Im just looking to get a job for the tourist season and get a little more familiar with the State. I hear that March and April are their big time of the year. How long can someone reasonably expect to stay and get good seasonal work around the area? Is the season down there really only March and APril?

Old 06-11-2008, 03:45 PM

8 posts, read 30,510 times
I had a friend who did just what you are talking about doing. He is a chef and came down for Bike Week - Summer (February - August) and then went back to NY. He made a ton of money and had so much fun. He was here during the main tourist times: Bike Week, Spring Break, and summer.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmvazquez83 View Post
I had a friend who did just what you are talking about doing. He is a chef and came down for Bike Week - Summer (February - August) and then went back to NY. He made a ton of money and had so much fun. He was here during the main tourist times: Bike Week, Spring Break, and summer.
Summer is tourist time??? Isn't that when everyone is trying to get OUT of Florida because it is so hot?? I figured after May the service jobs would cut me, are you saying I could go down there for Feb, Mar, Apr, May, June, July, and Aug -- and do well in the service industry in Daytona?!?

Old 06-11-2008, 06:15 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack wild View Post
Summer is tourist time??? Isn't that when everyone is trying to get OUT of Florida because it is so hot?? I figured after May the service jobs would cut me, are you saying I could go down there for Feb, Mar, Apr, May, June, July, and Aug -- and do well in the service industry in Daytona?!?
I would plan to spend Feb(Speedweeks and beginning of BikeWeek) March(BikeWeek and spring break) April May June might be iffy....July you have both a major race and the 4th of July weekend all at once.
After that except for the holiday weekends nothing major goes on until Biketoberfest and that's really only one weekend.
Altho now that I'm old, I attend these thing not work them, I do have a friend that works at the Ruby Tuesday's there across from the track during these weekends and makes REAL good $$$. If your young??? Or young at heart??? I say go for it.
Now that being said....you knew there was a butt didn't you?? I've never lived in Daytona so hopefully you can get some help from others.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:03 AM

8 posts, read 30,510 times
All I know is that my friend was here from Feb - Aug and went home very happy with his pockets full. You seem like you don't believe what anyone is saying so just come down and do what you want.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,629 times
FEBRUARY for NASCAR race, MARCH for bike week spring break (although spring break has been pretty quiet the last few years) JULY for NASCAR race. NOVEMBER for Turkey Rod run (Huge 3 day car show in the Daytona Speedway track) The best time to be at the beach is March-October. Any other time you'll find the place quiet. I've been to Daytona countless times but it's still my favorite beach to go to and I live on the West Coast of FL but the 2 hour drive is worth it to me. I just like the convienience of being able to drive on the beach and not have to haul everything down to set up for the day. And the waves are nice too.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:40 AM

12 posts, read 26,450 times
Omg on spring break it was so crazy i had to much fun thats the best place to go to on spring break.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:47 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplicantTree1 View Post
Omg on spring break it was so crazy i had to much fun thats the best place to go to on spring break.
I guess compared to what it USED to be like, it was quiet to me. Then again, it depends which week of spring break you go since it lasts 6 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando