Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 PM

11 posts, read 19,608 times

Advertisements

We are from a small town ( leesburg Ga next to Albany Ga),Crime is out of control in Albany and there is nothing to do in south Ga,We are looking for a change,I have been a budweiser salesman/driver for 13 years and my wife is in the medical field so finding jobs shouldnt be a problem,We have 2 boys 8 and 13 that love football and baseball so being in a good place where pop warner football is a must,We go to orlando about 3 to 4 times a year we love visiting so living there we would think would be fun too,We want to be away from the hustle and bustle of o town but would like to get there 30 or 40 min,I seen there is a Bud dist in Sanford so this might be my comute if things go right,We are really looking into wintersprings or lakemary,We will be looking at renting apartment or house for a year or 2,Any info on these areas,schools,sports,jobs ect would be great,We are looking to move this summer and visting in jan,Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 PM

56 posts, read 93,955 times
I actually move from Texas to Florida two years ago, we live in Maitland which is a 20 to 25 min commute to lake Mary. We are actually moving to Lake Mary as well. So far I have nothing negative to say about that area they have A+ schools very low crime just a beautiful area with two close shipping malls. Winter springs I heard it was nice and that's about it. With Sanford I hear there are good parts and there are bad with every large city you have you spotty areas don't know much only they tend to be on news for a lot of domestic issues, I have a friend that lives in a really nice sub division out there and they love it. It really depends on how much is your budget, my advise is you get what you pay for in Orlando...... But also you can run into a good deal and get luck hope this help and good luck to you.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:39 PM

Thanks Blove81 for the info,We cant wait till Jan to come down and look at the areas,Lake Mary sounds nice

Old 11-02-2011, 06:42 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,821,776 times
Keep in mind that rents are pretty high in Central FL right now. There is a lot of demand for rental homes. I had a tough time finding one a few weeks ago (I'm in Clermont, just west of Orlando).

Lake Mary/ Winter Springs/ Oviedo are all good family areas. I'm sure crime will be less than where you are from. (but things can be stolen from an open garage - just be aware that no place is 100% safe these days)

Choose your location wisely, based on school zoning. Some schools in Seminole County are much better than others. (and they are proposing to close some due to the budget crunch).

Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 AM

27,337 posts, read 44,662,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin101 View Post
We are from a small town ( leesburg Ga next to Albany Ga),Crime is out of control in Albany and there is nothing to do in south Ga,We are looking for a change,I have been a budweiser salesman/driver for 13 years and my wife is in the medical field so finding jobs shouldnt be a problem,We have 2 boys 8 and 13 that love football and baseball so being in a good place where pop warner football is a must,We go to orlando about 3 to 4 times a year we love visiting so living there we would think would be fun too,We want to be away from the hustle and bustle of o town but would like to get there 30 or 40 min,I seen there is a Bud dist in Sanford so this might be my comute if things go right,We are really looking into wintersprings or lakemary,We will be looking at renting apartment or house for a year or 2,Any info on these areas,schools,sports,jobs ect would be great,We are looking to move this summer and visting in jan,Thanks
Welcome to the area! Winter Springs and Lake Mary are great and so is the west side of Sanford. I live on the west side of Sanford and it shares the same great benefits of Lake Mary since they blend one into the other. The upshot to west Sanford is it's less expensive generally than Lake Mary and also more conveniently located in terms of getting around. It's very safe, quiet and family-friendly. The schools are quite good, Sanford Middle School is "A" rated (9 out of 10 on GreatSchools) and despite diverse demographics Seminole High School is "B" rated (8 out of 10 on GreatSchools). Seminole HS has an excellent International Baccalureate program (college prep curriculum) and also has a great magnet program for students interested in Health Careers (http://choices.scps.k12.fl.us/HighSc...ighSchool.aspx). I-4 and the 417 Expressway converge in west Sanford so getting in/out of areas to the south (like Orlando or Winter Park) is very easy and has very little congestion in terms of rush hour traffic. In terms of neighborhoods check out the area just to the east of the Seminole Towne Center Mall, west of Upsala Road and south of SR46...also the area south of the 417, west of Upsala Road and north of 46-A. If you have any other questions about the area feel free to hit me up via direct mail.

Last edited by kyle19125; 11-02-2011 at 07:11 AM..

Old 11-02-2011, 09:05 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,401,609 times
Since everyone else has already touched on the other topics I'll give my take on the sports. All 3 areas have good pop warner and little leagues but historically speaking Lake Mary and Sanford probably have better sports programs than Winter Springs since Winter Springs High School is fairly new. Sanford is a consistent football powerhouse, Lake Mary does well in baseball and generally good in football, but not a powerhouse. Winter Springs has had some good runs but not real pattern of success yet. Both Sanford and Lake Mary High have produced Div I and Pro football and baseball players. You may also want to consider Altamonte Springs (Lake Brantley School district). Very long tradition of pop warner and little league. Lake Brantley High School is a traditional powerhouse in football and baseball, but also considered one of the top academic schools in the area. Since you would be commuting against traffic to Sanford, commute would be reasonable. Oviedo may also be an option, great school with great local sports, but the commmute would be furthest of all the areas mentioned.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:58 AM

Thanks everyone for all the info,Will look more into west Sanford,@ Crane's Rooster sports is big in our family my 8 year old is one of the best in our pop warner region so thats a big +,If anyone wants to now way we want to move look at the city data about Albany area,We just made the top 4 on poorest citys in the US,Me and my wife are blessed to have good jobs for this area,We love Clermont FL area but its to far from any of the BUD dist in Sanford or O Town

Old 11-02-2011, 01:41 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,309,905 times
All areas are a good choice. Parts of Sanford are questionable but there are plenty good areas. If you are working at the Budweiser in Sanford, Sanford or Lake Mary would be closer. There is Pop Warner in all of the towns and it is very popular here. There is baseball in Lake Mary. There is a big park where they have baseball fields and have teams.

What price range are you looking for? I say to shy away from the apartments. I suggest privately owned condos or homes. If you must stay in an apartment, do your research. Some are fine but others can be undesirable, especially in Sanford. Most of the apartments in Lake Mary are decent.

The next thing are schools. Lake Mary schools are good as most of Winter Springs schools. Schools on the wet side of Sanford are good as well.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:53 PM

Will be looking for a house or condo 2/2 or 3/2 for no more than $950 a month,Apartment will be a last resort,Looking to rent for 2 years and then buying a house or condo

Old 11-02-2011, 06:56 PM

Thanks kyle19125 for the info you sent,Dont care what others on here say about you ,your a good person LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando