Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 05:49 PM

15 posts, read 34,079 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at real estate in both areas and wanted to get opinions from the board.

The dilemma is, you can obviously get more for your money in Cypress Lakes or Corner Lakes vs Avalon or Waterford. The amenities in Avalon area are much better, as is the landscape so to speak. Another concern is resale value, I plan to owner occupy but looking down the road will a home bought in Waterford or Avalon be more desirable than say Corner Lakes or Cypress Lakes? Do you think homes would appreciate less out toward Bithlo just because where it is located?

So confused!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:34 PM

741 posts, read 3,524,136 times
We had looked at the exact areas you are when we were buying not to long ago, except Corner Lake. I didn't go in there at all but I pass it everyday now. We bought in Cypress after looking at over 100 homes from July 2010-January 2011. I like where I am and there are alot of neighbors here who once lived in Waterford and Avalon. They sold there houses there to move in here. There top reason was always college kids moving in all over. But I do like all of the areas. Keep us updated. Is Bithlo that bad? I'm from out of state so I really don't know. Is there something I should Know?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 PM

100 homes! Holy moly! I liked Cypress Lakes more than Corner Lakes but so far the homes I have seen there are smaller than what I would like, well in my price range anyway. As far as Bithlo, it just seems well, how to put it nicely...redneck-ish? So no nothing bad as far as crime or anything like that.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:56 PM

70 posts, read 150,191 times
We looked at both Waterford Lakes and Cypress Lakes and decided to buy in Cypress Lakes summer 2008. We have a beautiful home on a conservation lot. I pulled my daughter out of private school because everyone was telling me how great Columbia Elementary School was which is in Cypress Lakes. I am very pleased so far with the school. There is a lot of parent involvement and it has been A rated the past 6 years.

I also like that it is not so congested as Waterford. It is nice being between both Waterford Lakes and Oveido. Just a few miles up the road are the Santuary and Live Oaks which I think is helping our house prices not fall too much more. When we were first looking Waterford was much more expensive and now they are not that much more.

I think the HOA in Cypress Lakes is one of the best deals at $90 a month you get Comcast cable, a beautiful pool, fitness room, parks for kids, tenis courts, basket ball courts, dog park, etc. They keep the place beautiful. They are working on the common areas all the time. Many people that have come to visit us are very impressed. I am glad they have not had any price increases the past 2 years. I would not even consider Corner Lakes because they pay $400 a year and only have a park, no cable, no pool. Cypress is much more upscale than Corner Lakes.

I have talked to a few people who have sold in Waterford Lakes and bought here they like it much better here at Cypress.

The main thing Waterford has is a lot more stores and restaurants but they are all 6 to 8 miles away from Cypress Lakes. If you need to get something quick there is Publix's and Walgreens and numerous fast food restaurants within a mile of Cypress Lakes.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:00 PM

Thanks FormerPA. I liked Cypress Lakes much better when I was looking at the homes there...but the inventory is scarce in there! Just today I did a search and I think only 1 or 2 homes popped up in my price range =( That is a fantastic deal for that HOA fee, I didn't realize it included so much. There is a home in Corner Lakes I have my eye on, simply because it is over 2200 sq ft, and most of the homes coming up in my price point have been 1600sq ft or less. That is the only way I would buy in there is if I could get a significantly larger home to offset the no amenity aspect.

I also found it strange that Cypress Lakes is zoned to Columbia Elem while Corner Lakes is sent to East Lake...the neighborhoods are right across the street from each other! It seems EL elem has good ratings though, better than most in the Waterford area.

I really appreciate all the input! Choosing a home is hard work, even harder when coming from another area and having to rely on a few visits to try and get a feel for things...I just want to make sure I make the right choice, especially for the kiddos!

Old 05-13-2011, 11:17 AM

70 posts, read 150,191 times
The foreclosures that are coming on the market in Cypress are very cheap, but seem to move quickly. I have been watching for awhile. I just saw a 2700sqft. house listed at 175K, that didn't last.

There is a beautiful pool home that is 1800sqft. they put down to the 150's and that went off the MLS within a few days, but it is still here with the sign in front. This was a foreclosure. I saw someone at the house and just went out to talk with them. He is the surveyor the house is sold.

There are other houses that come on the market cheaper which I think would be in your price range. You just have to keep looking.

We looked for awhile before we bought and the price we got this one for in 2008 was incredible at the time. Of course we have lost a lot of value since, but hopefully in a few years we will get that back. The nice thing is our taxes dropped over $500 last year=)

Last edited by formerPA; 05-13-2011 at 11:38 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 04:21 PM

86 posts, read 233,169 times
Two subdivisions to look at in SE Orlando. Eastwood and Stoneybrook. They are south of Waterford (crowded) and North of Avalon (too many foreclosures and an eyesore of a power plant) on Alafaya trail. 10 year old established solid golf communities, gated and great schools.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,441 times
I love living in Cypress. I have a lot of knowledge of the area. If you would like to email me rebalane (at) gmail (dot) com, I would love to send you information about what I know.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,318 times
I just return from orlando looking and searching information on builders for new contrutions it seems to like “Taylor Morrison” at the Mandaly Estates (face 2 ) but they wont release any lots at this present time can anyone tell me about this area, wanted to know wether they will share the pool and other amenities that face 1 is currently has. I ‘m looking to builed on face 2 a single level home, i also made to the “avalos “subdivision but found them to small lots fantastic location & and also drove by cypress sub. I found that it was very nice I'm gathering info.on top rated middle schools as well .
Thanks for you help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: