Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:50 AM

166 posts, read 353,747 times

Advertisements

I lived in SE Georgia for a few years and the sand gnats were horrible! I always had bites all over me and it really did affect my quality of life. I believe some parts of Florida have them (Fernandina Beach didn't). Does Lake Mary and the Orlando area have them? How about the Asian Tiger Mosquito that is now in many states? They are out during the day so you get bit up by them all day and then at dusk the regular mosquitos come out and get you.

I can live with regular mosquitos at night but I really hate getting bit by sand gnats and mosquitos during the day. Does Orlando have these? My husband may be able to transfer with his company to the Orlando area and I am doing my research
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:44 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,095,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
I lived in SE Georgia for a few years and the sand gnats were horrible! I always had bites all over me and it really did affect my quality of life. I believe some parts of Florida have them (Fernandina Beach didn't). Does Lake Mary and the Orlando area have them? How about the Asian Tiger Mosquito that is now in many states? They are out during the day so you get bit up by them all day and then at dusk the regular mosquitos come out and get you.

I can live with regular mosquitos at night but I really hate getting bit by sand gnats and mosquitos during the day. Does Orlando have these? My husband may be able to transfer with his company to the Orlando area and I am doing my research
Never heard of either. No problems of mosquitos during the day. They definately come out during the evenning and night.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:57 PM

I think some people call them noseeums or no-see-ums. They are little gnats and they BITE. My sister vacationed in Sanibel and said they were all over. I know they are bad in GA.

So there is nothing in the Orlando area that bites during the day??? At 11AM you can sit on your deck and not be swatting at yourself?

Are the regular mosquitos "year round" or April - Sept? Or ...?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I think some people call them noseeums or no-see-ums. They are little gnats and they BITE. My sister vacationed in Sanibel and said they were all over. I know they are bad in GA.

So there is nothing in the Orlando area that bites during the day??? At 11AM you can sit on your deck and not be swatting at yourself?

Are the regular mosquitos "year round" or April - Sept? Or ...?
Yes we do have no-see-ums. The mosquitos start about march and are here til about October or so. It depends if it stays warm.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Yes we do have no-see-ums. The mosquitos start about march and are here til about October or so. It depends if it stays warm.
OK, and the no-see-ums bite, correct? Are they all over? Where we lived in GA just north of Florida they were a real pain. You really could not escape them. Is that how it is in the Orlando area?

I guess I am wondering, if I am outside on a beautiful 88 degree day in early May, enjoying the outdoors, am I being bitten by something most likely at 11AM??? Is it possible to enjoy your backyard in the Orlando area or do you have to be "screened in?"

Thank you

Old 02-18-2011, 03:21 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,516,878 times
I've never heard of sand gnats or no-see-ums. I don't think I've ever been bitten by one. You can definitely enjoy your backyard on a beautiful day.. or else nobody would ever live here!

Old 02-18-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
OK, and the no-see-ums bite, correct? Are they all over? Where we lived in GA just north of Florida they were a real pain. You really could not escape them. Is that how it is in the Orlando area?

I guess I am wondering, if I am outside on a beautiful 88 degree day in early May, enjoying the outdoors, am I being bitten by something most likely at 11AM??? Is it possible to enjoy your backyard in the Orlando area or do you have to be "screened in?"

Thank you
They are not that bad but they are there are a few on occasion.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:03 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,941,895 times
All I know is, on a construction site, those noseeums bit the hell out of me, lol. Only every once in a while though.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:32 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,002,817 times
No-see-ums are pretty much everywhere in FL, worst in the summer. Mosquitos are here year round as well, but are worse in the late afternoon/ early evening. Then you have the wonderful "lovebugs" in May & October. I lived in Orlando for 10 years but am back in SW FLa now.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:41 AM

CONFUSED. Everyone has given a different response! This sums it up:

There are no daytime mosquitos and never heard of no-see-ums

There are both and are out year round

Mosquitos are out May- October

Which is it? Maybe it is different depending on where in Orlando area you live? I don't get it. I just read an article about the tiger mosquitos in Orlando so they must be there, maybe some people are free of standing water and don't get them and others do.

Really, I want to know though! Are there mosquitos right now in February or no?

Thank you for the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando