Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2006, 01:53 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times

Advertisements

One of the diagnostic features of a Mediterranean climate is how native plants repond to it. In most temperate climates, summer is a time of growth and winter a time of dormancy. In a Mediterranean climate, summer is largely a time of dormancy for plants. Growth picks up when the autumn rains start, and many Mediterranean-climate plants bloom in winter. This aspect of plants that bloom throughout winter is one of the most characteristic traits of a Mediterranean climate. You won't find that in the Rogue River Valley. As previous posters have pointed out, there are areas in Oregon near the coast that have some, but not all, of the elements of a Mediterranean climate. There may be some true Mediterranean climates along the very southern coast, 10 to 20 miles inland, but these are National Forest Service and reserved wilderness lands, so there aren't really any towns that enjoy that climate. The immediate coast lacks the warm sunny summers typical of a Mediterranean climate. The closest European counterpart would be southwest England (Cornwall) and southwest Ireland (County Kerry). Further inland the climate is a bit more like that of Normandy.
Hey, happ, is that you from the Jungle? DS here!

Old 09-09-2006, 11:06 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
One of the diagnostic features of a Mediterranean climate is how native plants repond to it. In most temperate climates, summer is a time of growth and winter a time of dormancy. In a Mediterranean climate, summer is largely a time of dormancy for plants. Growth picks up when the autumn rains start, and many Mediterranean-climate plants bloom in winter. This aspect of plants that bloom throughout winter is one of the most characteristic traits of a Mediterranean climate. You won't find that in the Rogue River Valley. As previous posters have pointed out, there are areas in Oregon near the coast that have some, but not all, of the elements of a Mediterranean climate. There may be some true Mediterranean climates along the very southern coast, 10 to 20 miles inland, but these are National Forest Service and reserved wilderness lands, so there aren't really any towns that enjoy that climate. The immediate coast lacks the warm sunny summers typical of a Mediterranean climate. The closest European counterpart would be southwest England (Cornwall) and southwest Ireland (County Kerry). Further inland the climate is a bit more like that of Normandy.
Hey, happ, is that you from the Jungle? DS here!
Yes Steve, I am happ from Jungle Underground. Do you still post on that site? As I recall you live in the very "banana belt" climate being discussed. How's the palm garden?

Actually it is difficult to make climatic comparisons of the western US to Europe. Immediate coastal Oregon & Washington and especially California contrast significantly from areas a few miles inland. That is not a European characteristic. The Atlantic Gulf Stream plays a role since Ireland/England/Normandy are farther north than the PacificNW.

Koppen is a bit broad [eg. San Diego as BSh Subtropical steppe]. USDA zones are primarily based on frequency of frost/subfreezing temperatures. Sunset zones, as an elaboration of a University of Cal-Berkeley classification of micro-climates, comes closest to identifying West Coast conditions.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:08 AM

9 posts, read 49,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroAngel View Post
[LEFT]I don't think there's anyplace in Oregon worth moving to. I too came here from Southern California and wish I was back home! I hate Oregon, it's so gloomy & filled with "back-wood" hicks and uneducated cowboys, not to mention all the spanish speaking mexicans (guess they're everywhere now though)! Anyway....good luck to you. [/LEFT]
Go back. You won't be missed here.

Anyway, to the original poster, just going on the things you said you did on your vacation, the answer points to Medford. It's also located in somewhat of a "weather shadow" due to the surrounding mountain ranges, and it doesn't rain here quite as much as it does upstate. The summers are pretty hot and dry - every couple of years or so, a bad forest fire will smoke in the valley. Winters aren't snowy, but wet and FOGGY.

Yes, you will deal with ignorant, uneducated, hicks, unashamed hippies, and a plethora of Mexicans. If the people are a dealbreaker, then you already know you won't like it here. Otherwise, it's an excellent place to live, and one of the most beautiful on the planet.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 6,179 times
Default Native Oregonian, What is this????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Oregonian View Post
As far as Im concerned all of you Californians can all go home. You have turned Oregon in to a little LA, driven up the price of property sky high and brought all of your problems with you. Go back to Fairy land.
OOPS!!!! You must think your remark is clever and educated but!!!! I must remind you that as you call your self a native Oregonion I giggllleee at your statement of arrogance, as after all you are here only because your parents decided to procreate and whelp you in Oregon, most of us that you are attacking had the intelligence and choice to move from California and choose this lovely state to live in, I chose 36 yeears ago and I must admit I never met a rude Oregonian till you posted here. To bad you could not claim choice in your statements. I have seen wonderful progress over the last 36 years and I live a life of joy and comfort here in Oregon and my taxes helped build your roads etc, my children have contributed to the growth of your hospitals, freeways, law enforcement, and education, you should be careful with your nastiness as we who came after you have made things nice for you and yours, what have you contributed?

Old 09-20-2006, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 12,013 times
Default Flint, Mi?????

I grew up in Flint but left 38 years ago. What in the world made you move to Flint, when I go there to visit family it puts me into tears to see how run down it is, what a dump and property values are actually declining.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:05 PM

346 posts, read 2,141,044 times
Default Love This Thread haha

Okay it's my first time posting to this board and I am.... from southern California, born and raised (unfortunately)... yes I know boo hiss. Anyway, I have always felt out of place here in Cali and what you say about California is true on a large scale. People are rude, self-interested, mean-spirited and have this need to push themselves ahead of everyone else. The driving is insane because there is so much pressure and anxiety around living here. I've been put on two anxiety medications because of the stress and I've never been happy here.

I'm a kind of free-spirit, organic loving, bohemian dreadhead and California is not a conducive environment for my personality (perhaps in the north it is). I also happen to LOVE rain, fog and what you call "gloomy" weather. I get furious when Californian's complain about a gloomy day because I am so happy in that weather! I know that Oregon is the perfect place for me because I love people, I'm very friendly and I like slow-paced places with lots of space. I was going to enter a doctorate program at UO but now I am very nervous because I wasn't aware of the attitude that Oregonians have toward Californians. I completely understand the attitude, but that is the reason I am trying to escape it.

I think for the most part, the people who move to Oregon do it because they don't like California and are looking for a more "Oregonian" lifestyle. I really wish that native Oregonians wouldn't be so negative towards newcomers. I'm anxious to farm organic vegetables and recycle and do outdoor activities like biking and hiking. I'm sure there are plenty of "LA types" who are looking to escape LA and end up hating Oregon because it's WAY different and they can't easily assimilate to the culture, but I really can and want to and I hope these attitudes won't prevent me from becoming a proud Oregonian and dropping these anxiety meds.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:27 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
hey Des Demona,
I wouldnt worry too much about where you come from. Truly, as a native Oregonian, I say that for the most part, its not about where youre from, but your attitude when you get here. The ones most of us have problems with, are the people who move here and do nothing but complain and compare Oregon (and all who live here) negatively to California. If you do that, you may have some problems. - Otherwise, if youre a nice, friendly person, who has good things to say about Oregon and all who live here, you should fit right in and not have any problems. - Most people arent "negative about newcomers" unless they get an attitude first.
Come on up and take a visit, walk about, talk to people you meet on the streets/in the stores and you'll get a general idea of how it is here.
Good luck!!!
Tiffany

Old 09-21-2006, 03:01 PM

211 posts, read 641,267 times
Haha! So they're not just invading Phoenix, then! With each passing day, the greater Phoenix metro area becomes more like east LA. They sell off the family home when mom and pop pass away, then make huge downpayments on new homes out here. Next thing you know, a "starter home" is $300k, an hour away from work, and a whopping fifteen feet from the houses on either side.

I'm a car guy who likes working on his own car, driving his car, and enjoying time outside in peace and harmony with his surroundings. I end up having to drive into SoCal about six times a year - to Covina, Irvine, and even Anaheim - and every time I go, my disdain for California, in general, grows more bitter. The roads suck, the drivers suck, the traffic sucks, the emissions laws even suck (if it appears you've done any modifications to your car, you stand at risk of being pulled over).

As recently as last weekend, I was in Covina for a wedding. During the day, I stopped at a drug store and had not one, not two, but three employees offer to help me on their own. I was shocked. I had come to hope for strained indifference from the people I had to deal with in California and here I had three people act as if they were human after all. Perhaps they were all Oregonians down there for college?

I can tolerate the heat of Phoenix. I can tolerate the increasing cost of living, urban sprawl, and heat island effect, but what really irks me is the SoCal mentality infiltrating my city. I try to avoid blanket stereotypes, but the proof is right here in this thread! I can see the people from Oregon frustrated that they see the same decline in their communities that we are seeing in Arizona and there are several Californians who take up the "We're better than you, we always get what we want, we want your pretty things, and there's nothing you can do about it" stance. I hate that. Diversity is one of the reasons this country is so great, but when people begin to forgoe appreciation for certain opportunities in favor of a sense of entitlement, when people come into your home and act like they own the place, with nothing positive to say about it; that really bugs me.

I am still considering Oregon within the year, but I've got a couple other places to check out first. There seems to be so much to offer in terms of culture, geography, weather, and community up there, but I'll have to start doing some more research into the California effect before I can make a decsion.

In any case, take heart Oregonians! You are not alone! They're doing the same thing to Phoenix and we don't like it either!

Old 09-23-2006, 10:16 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroAngel View Post
[LEFT]I don't think there's anyplace in Oregon worth moving to. I too came here from Southern California and wish I was back home! I hate Oregon, it's so gloomy & filled with "back-wood" hicks and uneducated cowboys, not to mention all the spanish speaking mexicans (guess they're everywhere now though)! Anyway....good luck to you. [/LEFT]
wow, [scratching head] they're everywhere now..the problem up there is probably nothing to what it is in LA.

DR1665-Pheonix is bad. But you still have sections of your city where you can easily go without having to deal with the problem. In LA, even Santa Monica and Malibu are bad. Personally, I've even gotten a racist stare in downtown Santa Monica. I remember the days of the peaceful surfing beachside town. Nearly the only places left illegal immigrant-free are the ritzy streets such as Rodeo or Northern Robertson BLVD.

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 09-23-2006 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-23-2006, 04:08 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Default Californians don't get it

It seems nobody (except real estate agents and developers) wants them. Very few see their in-migration as value added in their communities. They are held in about the same regard as illegal immigrants. The same inflation of properties and crowding of once-pleasant communities as the Oregon people decry is going on all over the U.S. It's like a plague of locusts.

One thing that I wonder about. It seems from my observations that just about everyone who can is leaving SoCal. So how long can those house values that are fueling the exodus hold up? I can't believe that the illegals flowing in are able to buy those properties. When the cash cow dies, it will impact us all. We won't be able to sell and get out of Phoenix either, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon