Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:00 PM

331 posts, read 1,851,605 times

Advertisements

You bring up a good point about taxes.

The Tax Foundation, a policy research group, estimated the average taxpayer's total state and local tax burden for 2005 in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia. That burden reflects what residents pay in state and local income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, luxury taxes and fuel taxes, among others. States below are ranked from least to most tax friendly. (Read more about this table below.)

State-Local Tax Burdens, Calendar Year 2005
Rank State State/Local taxes as
% of per capita income
U.S. average 10.10%

1 Maine 13.00%
2 New York 12.00%
3 Hawaii 11.50%
4 Rhode Island 11.40%
5 Wisconsin 11.40%
6 Vermont 11.10%
7 Ohio 11.00%
8 Nebraska 10.90%
9 Utah 10.90%
10 Minnesota 10.70%
11 Arkansas 10.50%
12 Connecticut 10.50%
13 West Virginia 10.50%
14 New Jersey 10.40%
15 Kansas 10.40%
16 Louisiana 10.40%
17 Maryland 10.30%
18 Indiana 10.30%
19 Kentucky 10.30%
20 California 10.30%
21 Arizona 10.20%
22 Michigan 10.10%
23 Wyoming 10.10%
24 Washington 10.00%
25 Iowa 10.00%
26 Mississippi 10.00%
27 Idaho 10.00%
28 North Carolina 10.00%
29 New Mexico 9.90%
30 Illinois 9.80%
31 Georgia 9.80%
32 Massachusetts 9.80%
33 South Carolina 9.70%
34 Virginia 9.70%
35 Pennsylvania 9.70%
36 Oregon 9.60%
37 Colorado 9.50%
38 Nevada 9.50%
39 Montana 9.50%
40 Oklahoma 9.40%
41 Missouri 9.40%
42 North Dakota 9.40%
43 Texas 9.30%
44 Florida 9.20%
45 South Dakota 8.80%
46 Alabama 8.70%
47 Tennessee 8.30%
48 Delaware 8.00%
49 New Hampshire 7.40%
50 Alaska 6.40%
District of Columbia 12.20%
Source: Tax Foundation, 2005

The state/local tax burden reflects what a state and its local governments collect as a percentage of per capita income. So, for example, with a state/local tax burden of 10.4 percent, the state of New Jersey and its local governments get about a tenth of what its residents make per capita.

Of course, if you live in the Garden State your personal tax burden may be higher or lower. Much will depend, as it would in any state, on whether you own your home, where in the state you live, how much you make and the source of your income.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:14 PM

85 posts, read 644,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuintusCinna View Post
Oregon
one of the first to bring up the right to die,
has a higher minimum state wage (by quite a bit) than the nation,
the right to use marijuana as a medicinal use
strong regard of liberal choices
one of the first to insist on recycling at a large scale level
environmentally aware
have the highest amount of aethiests in the US (25%+)
Those are some pretty good reasons to move to Oregon right there. For me, especially that last one.

Thanks for that nice, cool glass of water, neighbor.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:41 PM

85 posts, read 644,546 times
Default US Census

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuintusCinna View Post
Native Oregonians are concerned because the population of the state has increased by 160% since ten years ago (according to an article I read)
I'm sorry, but that sounded like such an obscene growth rate I had to check it out. You'll be relieved to know that according to the US Census Department, Oregon's population grew 20% from 1990 to 2000 and they estimate another 6.4% from 2000 to 2005. So, not quite 160%.

Maybe all of them are moving to the same area, so it just seems like more.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:51 PM

45 posts, read 256,187 times
I looked at my numbers again. You are correct (of course). I looked it up again. I was looking at the city I lived in (Medford) and the state and flipped it around. The increased population of Oregon is 130% that I had seen.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:07 AM

1,845 posts, read 6,858,604 times
Is it any wonder that it seems to be getting crowded? It's still not too bad when compared to the crowds in California though. I do think that most of the new people are moving into western Oregon which is making things noticabley more crowded. I don't see a big increase in population in most of eastern Oregon with Bend being an exception.

Oregon is providing a lot of berries to other locations as well as nursery products. Hey I went to a local Blackberry festival today. Now there's something you won't see in many states.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:25 AM

622 posts, read 2,710,519 times
mmmmm..... blackberries, you say? those are my favorite!

OK, now I'm sold. I'm moving to Oregon.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:27 AM

331 posts, read 1,851,605 times
Oregon and Washington have another kind of berry that is REALLY good. The Salmon berry grows wild and has a very nice flavor much like the Kiwi but only better. The Salmon berry got its name because of its color. If you are ever out and about and come across one, enjoy one on me!

Old 08-28-2006, 08:30 AM

17 posts, read 127,551 times
you guys are fun, I started out looking for places to live and just started surfing the states on these forums this was a fun topic, being in Ca from Milwaukee I can say Yes, I agree with most of these statements regarding Californians but like any blanket statements they cannot hold true across the board.but I think we should redirect this thread back to argueing, it was more fun, the xenophobia, the overt racism against Spanish Speakers, hows this? Let's not forget that we are all squatters and late comers, I'd like to hear from some Native Americans and what they think of when the "Oregonians" arrived and shot the prices of real estate up from no ownership to, say, small pox infected blankets, beads trinkits firearms and alcohol, rape and pillage. a considerable upshot. anyways it's fun to stay stuck in the past and gripe about whatever new group (or old group returning) shows up next, lots of complaints regarding Mexicans (Yes I said it MEXICANS), any complaints about Walmart and the cheap cost of products built buy slave labor in China where 80 million political dissidents are kept in subhuman conditions so you can save on purchases? maybe we should stage a battle a snotty Californian vs a slow driving Oregonian, Yes you guys have a rep too, yellow plates = slow driving and talking about how wonderful OR is, well go home!! (not my opinion just devil's advocate) and switch your plates over quit trying to hide from our high cost lifestyle. let's have some more fun, bring it on

Old 08-28-2006, 10:24 AM

45 posts, read 256,187 times
Though we do have Native Americans in the state, Oregon's early history with Native Americans is harsh. The Native Americans were slaughtered by the thousands in Medford by being thrown over the Table Rock cliffs until they were all gone in that area. The thousands of Chinese immigrants were also massacred in the 1870s just north of Grants Pass after the Gold Rush. There was a price on each Chinese scalp a person got. Obviously, those horrible days have long passed.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:18 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,052,358 times
"maybe we should stage a battle a snotty Californian vs a slow driving Oregonian, Yes you guys have a rep too, yellow plates = slow driving and talking about how wonderful OR is, well go home!!" --- ya, well, we dont have as many accidents, run people over, or as much road rage. And huh, I thought being in Oregon, I was home??? Isnt this the OREGON forum? ---I admit, i have driven through California. The redwoods are beautiful, the northern coast is incredible, and many of the people i met were friendly and all around neat people. But the further south i went, the worse things got. I tried to obey the speed limit signs (actually, 5mph over) and was about run off the road. I was terrified and was glad when that part of the trip was over. Believe me, I'll do my upmost best to stay out of LA, and surrounding areas. I enjoyed visiting parts of Ca., but I'd much rather live in Ore. And ya, it seems for the most part, Oregonians are more laid back/friendly than most of Californians. (not all, just most)
I can totally understand the reasons many people are moving up here from there. The news, friends i have down there, word of mouth, i hear the crime rate is horrific in most places, housing prices are sickeningly overpriced, and the crowding is unbearable. - get this PLEASE!! I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PEOLE MOVING HERE TO OREGON, in general. I have a problem with those who move here and do nothing but complain and compare. Who are rude and degrading. I dont understand people who move here and just go on and on about how much they'd rather be in Ca. - and if Irrigon was the only place a person would transfer my husband, well, then my husband would get a better job. There are very few positive things about Irrigon. I will admit that. And btw, most of those guys in cowboy attire are NOT cowboys. They are what we call Wannabes. theres a difference. Dont compare ALL of Oregon on one small, poverty-stricken eastern town.
For those who like the salmon berries, come on over here. My yard is full of them! More than husband and I, AND all three kids can pick and eat. Not to mention so many blackberries, they are falling on the ground to cover it black in places. Thimble berries are thick and aplenty. Cranberry festival is in about 2 weeks too. We have plenty of fruit/berries/veggies growing in abundance here.
Yes, many terrible things were done to the Native Americans here in Oregon. Just like all over the ENTIRE country. We are also doing many things to try and make some amends, still to this day. In my town, we have entire communities that are for ONLY Native Americans. Where they can get homes for much less than the rest of us pay. They are given checks bimonthly, even if they are only 1/16th Native American, and their children have most activities completely paid for. We cant take back what our ancestors did, but we as a state are still paying back for it as much as we can.
Again, Im going to say my point, hopefully for the last time. Oregon is a wonderful state. One anyone should be proud to live in. Move here if youre looking for a state that has pretty much everything to offer and a great place to raise kids/retire. If you are a good person, who will be pleasant and positive, bring something, anything, good to our state, we welcome you. If youre just going to move here to complain, compare us negativaly and insist that there is "Nothing in Oregon worth moving here for" please dont come here. If you are living here and hate it so desperatly,Id recommend moving. Even if youre here due to a transfer. I truly cant think of any job that is so wonderful that there is only one tiny town in oregon that is the only place in the entire US that one can work.
BTW, Oregon also supplies most of the Christmas trees to the world. And if youve never been to a Christmas tree farm (with the live trees) in the middle of winter, your missing out. The smell is well worth it.
Tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon