Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 09:52 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,534,496 times

Advertisements

Today I went to the Fred Meyer in west Eugene. The main entrance looks like this:

As I was rather tired and preoccupied, I walked in on the right hand side, and nearly rammed into someone coming out. I would ask if this is even legal, but of course it must be or they would have been ordered to change it by now. Yet it seems weird and disorienting to me.

Are all the Fred Meyer stores like this? I've only ever been to this one store.

And why do they do it? What lies behind this idiocy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2024, 10:32 PM

5,493 posts, read 8,227,338 times
It's not unusual. It depends on the interior configuration of the store. Just look at the signs.

Old 05-17-2024, 10:47 PM

2,204 posts, read 1,107,234 times
Why two sets of doors?

I would feel like cattle being herded into a designated doorway, and then never go there again.

Old 05-18-2024, 08:21 AM

32,723 posts, read 48,321,659 times
Exit will be the doors closest to the cash registers, so people coming in and people pushing heavy carts full of stuff do not have to cross paths.

Those are pretty big signs. It's not like you were not given adequate warning. I was surprised to see who posted this,. I automatically assumed it was another poster.

As far as I know, any of those doors, no matter how marked will work in either direction. You can be a rebel and go in the out door and nobody really cares. Show your defiance.

Old 05-18-2024, 07:15 PM

5,502 posts, read 7,805,881 times
It usually depends on which side of the entry they store the empty shopping carts. A lot of Wal-Marts are like this too. In this case I'd lay 10-1 odds that the racks of empty shopping carts are to the left on the entry side so you can grab one as you go in.

Old Yesterday, 12:18 AM

5,493 posts, read 8,227,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
It usually depends on which side of the entry they store the empty shopping carts. A lot of Wal-Marts are like this too. In this case I'd lay 10-1 odds that the racks of empty shopping carts are to the left on the entry side so you can grab one as you go in.
That looks similar to the Walmart in Ontario, Oregon. The cash registers are on the right side, so as oregonwoodsmoke mentioned, the exit is closest to them. And yes, the carts are to the left of the entrance.

Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

4,616 posts, read 6,421,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Today I went to the Fred Meyer in west Eugene. The main entrance looks like this:

As I was rather tired and preoccupied, I walked in on the right hand side, and nearly rammed into someone coming out. I would ask if this is even legal, but of course it must be or they would have been ordered to change it by now. Yet it seems weird and disorienting to me.

Are all the Fred Meyer stores like this? I've only ever been to this one store.

And why do they do it? What lies behind this idiocy?
Stores are trying to make it fool proof.

Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,801 posts, read 58,320,501 times
Entry door store design and codes are very restricted.

Traffic, parking, weather ( prevailing winds snow / rain), adjacent buildings, security, shop lifting....

All the FM I visit have 3+ doors. (+/-)

Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

2,107 posts, read 1,717,939 times
Yah know, either side will let you in or let you out. I don't pay much attention to the signs and get in and out of the store just fine.

Old Today, 01:07 AM

15,507 posts, read 9,191,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Yah know, either side will let you in or let you out. I don't pay much attention to the signs and get in and out of the store just fine.
LOL, your post makes me think of the lyrics to Prince's Raspberry Beret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJsDAwuWitU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon