Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2021, 09:33 AM

2,660 posts, read 3,856,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlanes View Post
Prop 13 has zero chance of passing in Oregon, we are a fishing and hunting state.
With that said, the state needs those 7 democratic counties to counter balance the far right living in those other counties, 7 of which are seeking signatures to place an initiative on the ballot to secede 3/4 of Oregon's territory and join Idaho.
So which is one is more radical...a laughable push to ban hunting and fishing that will never happen, or a serious push to destroy the fundamental existence of the state itself?
Both initiatives will never get close to reality but I find the bold comment interesting. Is it your position that Oregon (or any state/province for that matter ) must exist in the form it does today?

I think that is not logical and there can be times when change is acceptable and perhaps desired?

West VA broke away from VA because of slavery and expected upcoming civil war. The Columbia River was the southern border of a British territory known as Canada. State/legal borders and Govt's can change for a variety of reasons. It's not a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 10:55 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Now look at the amount of resident vs non-resident tags/licenses in Alaska compared to other states.
Alaska resident fishing licenses are really strict to get. I lived there for a decade. You have to basically qualify for a permanent fund dividend to qualify for a resident fishing license which means live there the previous 12 consecutive months. Anyone who spends only part of the year living in Alaska doesn't qualify, even if they own property there. Here in WA you can get a resident fishing license after 90 days.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:51 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Now look at the amount of resident vs non-resident tags/licenses in Alaska compared to other states.
Interesting. Could it be seasonal residents, who don't qualify for resident licenses? It seems hard to believe that that many people are going all the way to Alaska, just to fish.

Old 11-25-2021, 04:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Alaska resident fishing licenses are really strict to get. I lived there for a decade. You have to basically qualify for a permanent fund dividend to qualify for a resident fishing license which means live there the previous 12 consecutive months. Anyone who spends only part of the year living in Alaska doesn't qualify, even if they own property there. Here in WA you can get a resident fishing license after 90 days.
I'm not sure why you think this is something I wouldn't know. You know what business I'm in.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-25-2021 at 05:28 PM..

Old 11-25-2021, 05:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Interesting. Could it be seasonal residents, who don't qualify for resident licenses? It seems hard to believe that that many people are going all the way to Alaska, just to fish.
Some of it, sure. But nonresident license sales were way down during the pandemic, and that's not because seasonal residents were staying away. We saw something similar during The Great Recession when a lot of the usual tourist types weren't coming up; the summer home people weren't affected.

Alaska gets millions of visitors a year, and while most aren't going there "just to fish," many buy a nonresident license for a day or so. Cruise ship passengers alone buy a lot of nonresident licenses to go on short fishing excursions during port stops; just ask any charter captain on the Inside Passage.

Along with the cruise ships, there are also lots of hunting and fishing lodges — most are exclusive fly-in types of places, and they stay packed to the gills all season long.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/featu...shing-industry

Quote:
“For the avid outdoor enthusiast, Alaska is a world-renowned recreational fishing destination,” said Dan Lew, economist, Alaska Fisheries Science Center.
So while there are some seasonal residents who buy nonresident licenses, nonresident hunting and fishing is big business in Alaska, and it's not because of those with summer homes (and the summer home crowd tends to bring their own boats instead of using charters and guide services). I'm sure they comprise a decent enough chunk of the nonresident licenses, but they don't compare in sheer numbers to the tourist types.

ETA as far as seasonal residents as in those who come up to work seasonal jobs buying nonresident licenses, I'm pretty sure their numbers are negligible.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-25-2021 at 06:15 PM..

Old 11-26-2021, 09:16 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
........If you think that Oregon is a hunting and fishing state, you need to spend some time in Wyoming or North Dakota, where half the people hunt and fish.

There are a lot of those hunting licenses in Wyoming and North Dakota and Montana that are bought by residents of Oregon. Many of the bird hunters pack up and go to the plains states to hunt.

Oregonians tend to hunt and fish. Maybe some of the incomers (who are not native Oregonians) don't hunt, but I know many of them that do. If you think Oregonians don't fish, try getting a spot on the banks when the salmon are running, or prepare to wait in line for hours at one of the boat launches.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:40 PM

92 posts, read 87,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Both initiatives will never get close to reality but I find the bold comment interesting. Is it your position that Oregon (or any state/province for that matter ) must exist in the form it does today?

I think that is not logical and there can be times when change is acceptable and perhaps desired?

West VA broke away from VA because of slavery and expected upcoming civil war. The Columbia River was the southern border of a British territory known as Canada. State/legal borders and Govt's can change for a variety of reasons. It's not a bad thing.
As a Republic, it should always be the voters of a state to determine any significant changes within the state that do not violate Federal law.
This proposal, however, is a land grab of both Oregon and Northern California, so it would require voters from all three states to approve such a radical initiative with zero chance of that, not mention it would cut off southern Oregon from being connected to Northern Oregon, having the new Idaho boundaries in between.
And voters in CA agreeing Idaho can have the northern quadrant of their state..really?

What this all all about is the hard right wanting to carve out territory 'free' from those pesky liberals, while taking with them the tax bases to keep them afloat. Which, btw, is not supported per polling by the majority of voters in Idaho, as they are already frustrated with the number of Oregonians selling to Californians and then taking their profits to Idaho where they cash purchase homes driving up the prices so Idaho locals are having a hard time affording them...sound familiar?

https://www.bigcountrynewsconnection...a2847bab5.html

Old 11-27-2021, 02:39 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are a lot of those hunting licenses in Wyoming and North Dakota and Montana that are bought by residents of Oregon. Many of the bird hunters pack up and go to the plains states to hunt.

Oregonians tend to hunt and fish. Maybe some of the incomers (who are not native Oregonians) don't hunt, but I know many of them that do. If you think Oregonians don't fish, try getting a spot on the banks when the salmon are running, or prepare to wait in line for hours at one of the boat launches.
LOL, I can tell you have never been to North Dakota. It's famous for being the least visited state in the country. There are probably about 5 Oregonians who hunt and fish in North Dakota. But even if you took all of the non-resident fishing licenses in North Dakota and added them on to the Oregon numbers, it wouldn't change the Oregon numbers remarkably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMSuYsZCUew&t=70s

Old 11-28-2021, 07:24 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Funny thing. I have a cousin from PA who spends big $$ every year or so to come out to eastern Oregon to hunt. I guess the grass is always greener....

Old 12-16-2021, 07:32 PM

760 posts, read 767,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
You need to find where Sculptor lives. He's only paying $200/yr in property taxes.
Not saying, I don't want MY town increasing in size with all the headaches and prblems that come with it!
Attached Thumbnails
How to Oregonians feel about Calif. transplants-screen-shot-9.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon