Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2021, 10:48 AM

5,481 posts, read 7,771,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Metlakatla, do you notice the same BS from people from Portland retiring to the coast?

Some of my friends are considering a house at the coast and I told them to stay in the valley we live in (for numerous reasons I have read about are issues at the coast). It sounds all dreamy; I mean, I'm going to retire with an ocean view and write a novel, etc. But, I wonder what the reality is like?
My wife and I both work professional jobs in the Portland metro (actually across the river in Vancouver). Over the past 6 years we have both seen numerous colleagues retire. The majority just stay put and shift into retirement mode locally. Maybe travel more, etc. but don't relocate. Those who re-locate tend to move east to the Bend/Redmond area seeking sun, rather than to the coast. Or maybe all the way to Idaho or Montana. Or maybe the Tri-Cities. I do have one work colleague who is retiring to the coast. He has a house somewhere in the Depot Bay area (I think). But he has also been spending a LOT of time there over the past 10 years and spends a lot of time out on the water fishing. So he isn't some CA transplant who doesn't know what he is getting into. I also have a cousin from Beaverton who has a house in Manzanita that she moved into for a year after they sort of semi-retired. But then she and her husband sold it and moved on to Hawaii. They owned their Manzanita house for maybe 15 years and only lived in it full time the last year. Before that it was a rental.

I think the more common scenario for Portlanders is that they maybe have a cabin on the coast that they use and maybe use more frequently after they retire, but AirB&B it the rest of the time. I don't know of hardly anyone who has moved there full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2021, 03:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,799,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
My wife and I both work professional jobs in the Portland metro (actually across the river in Vancouver). Over the past 6 years we have both seen numerous colleagues retire. The majority just stay put and shift into retirement mode locally. Maybe travel more, etc. but don't relocate. Those who re-locate tend to move east to the Bend/Redmond area seeking sun, rather than to the coast. Or maybe all the way to Idaho or Montana. Or maybe the Tri-Cities. I do have one work colleague who is retiring to the coast. He has a house somewhere in the Depot Bay area (I think). But he has also been spending a LOT of time there over the past 10 years and spends a lot of time out on the water fishing. So he isn't some CA transplant who doesn't know what he is getting into. I also have a cousin from Beaverton who has a house in Manzanita that she moved into for a year after they sort of semi-retired. But then she and her husband sold it and moved on to Hawaii. They owned their Manzanita house for maybe 15 years and only lived in it full time the last year. Before that it was a rental.

I think the more common scenario for Portlanders is that they maybe have a cabin on the coast that they use and maybe use more frequently after they retire, but AirB&B it the rest of the time. I don't know of hardly anyone who has moved there full time.
Yeah, this, although there are some Eugenians who've moved over to Florence, most Oregonians tend to reserve the coast for occasional trips. I do know some retirees who've lived on the coast all their lives.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:18 AM

2,669 posts, read 3,867,983 times
We have rental property on Oregon coast. It has appreciated quite a bit over last decade (As has all real estate - not saying coast is a "great" investment - it's really not) We will live in for two years after retiring not because we love the coast or anything but having it be a primary residence for two yrs in eyes of IRS, allows us to capture some or all of the appreciation tax free with rules of course. I DO see us selling after two yrs. as there are better places for us. (Not in Oregon as this state seems to hate retirees and just wants their $. )

I know several coast retirees who have done or are doing this. Our neighbors are a couple from California who have owned their place for years and are moving there in 3 yrs for same rational.

Old 12-20-2021, 12:12 PM

7,700 posts, read 3,314,376 times
Yes, you guys, I think they are thinking of a second home also (not full time). But, they don't currently spend much time at the coast as I have never heard them mentioning trips there.

I knew people that moved to Bend and that only lasted a couple of years and then they are back.

I think about potentially moving to Eastern OR or WA; but, it seems like the worst place to live now with the wildfire issues. The gorge seems too cold and windy and that leaves you with a dangerous drive part of the year.

I feel stuck since we're kind of in the perfect spot already.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, you guys, I think they are thinking of a second home also (not full time). But, they don't currently spend much time at the coast as I have never heard them mentioning trips there.

I knew people that moved to Bend and that only lasted a couple of years and then they are back.

I think about potentially moving to Eastern OR or WA; but, it seems like the worst place to live now with the wildfire issues. The gorge seems too cold and windy and that leaves you with a dangerous drive part of the year.

Yep, my wife and I have no intention of moving once we retire. We might downsize to a smaller place at some point, something that is easier to leave unattended if we do extended travel. But we don't plan on ever moving. Especially not to the coast or Bend.

I think the ideal plan is to spend 6-8 months/year in Western Oregon and then do some extended warm-weather trips in the winters to get away from the damp and gloom.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,799,877 times
Quote:

There are good aspects of coastal living, but until the pandemic, I was only here part time (my other home is in Alaska). I don't see myself retiring on the coast.

I don't get it. Today was forecast to be pretty stormy, and it was — there was a landslide between here and Mapleton, and now a bunch of them are stranded. There is standing water all over that stretch as well and on some parts of 101. Anyone with half a brain would have stayed off the highway today, but I have to wonder how many of those who are stranded even checked ODOT.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
There are good aspects of coastal living, but until the pandemic, I was only here part time (my other home is in Alaska). I don't see myself retiring on the coast.

I don't get it. Today was forecast to be pretty stormy, and it was — there was a landslide between here and Mapleton, and now a bunch of them are stranded. There is standing water all over that stretch as well and on some parts of 101. Anyone with half a brain would have stayed off the highway today, but I have to wonder how many of those who are stranded even checked ODOT.

I know, I even check Trip Checker just to go outside my normal 5 mile radius. I check the weather all the time. It's just normal here. Them is outsiders !

Old 12-20-2021, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Yep, my wife and I have no intention of moving once we retire. We might downsize to a smaller place at some point, something that is easier to leave unattended if we do extended travel. But we don't plan on ever moving. Especially not to the coast or Bend.

I think the ideal plan is to spend 6-8 months/year in Western Oregon and then do some extended warm-weather trips in the winters to get away from the damp and gloom.

Exactly, travel instead of moving to more of a destination location full time. Rent instead of buy. If you have two places then they are empty half the time (so, it's hard to justify unless you are completely loaded and have one favorite other place).

I thought about moving 50 miles out of Portland. It used to be cheaper; but, while our houses went up 30% their houses were going up 50 to 100% and it is no longer financially as beneficial to move to the smaller surrounding communities. This is especially true if you kept up with all your maintenance and most of the houses on the market have a lot of delayed maintenance. It's not a good time to buy for sure.

I might stay close and move to a condo. It's hard to say as I think I will work another 7 or so years (3-7ish). Yard work that was fun is getting to be more back breaking as time goes by. So, who knows. But, I'm likely staying in the Portland Metro Area (or maybe jump the river)...

I might just sell the house after I die (I mean someone else can -- LOL).

Old 12-21-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

I don't check ODOT, but I always google map to remote locations before starting a drive, even though I know the way by heart. If there are delays of any sort (traffic, slides, inclement weather) they instantly show up as red sections on google maps and then I can drill down further to see what is causing them and adjust my plans as necessary.

Old 12-21-2021, 01:58 PM

13,082 posts, read 7,557,182 times
Always carry a chain saw during the storms in coast mountains and appropriate repair parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon