Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2022, 10:32 PM

8,236 posts, read 16,793,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
If those stats are correct, (and I will assume they are), this is just a continuem of California residents moving north. I am not surprised by this, and not even concerned by this. The numbers won't turn WA/OR into a California. But it will increase population in these NW states. I think the best planners can do it prepare for a continued moderate population gain.
Yes, Americans are going to continue moving like they always have. Interestingly, if you look at the top states Californians are moving too, CA is also a top destination for those states as well. It has only been recently that CA hasn't grown in population with more people flooding in from every state and nation.

Where people in California are moving to most

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 10:52 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,972,282 times
Texas makes sense as property values are still very low compared to California.

Arizona makes sense as it is not far from home for Californians, despite rising prices.

Nevada, I have no idea why anyone would want to live there, but real estate is still cheaper than CA.

Washington is expensive, but there are pockets that are not.

Oregon is somewhat cheaper than Washington. Income tax may be an issue.

Colorado? Don't know enough about it.

Old 06-12-2022, 11:09 PM

Quote:

Arizona makes sense as it is not far from home for Californians, despite rising prices.

Nevada, I have no idea why anyone would want to live there, but real estate is still cheaper than CA.

Yeah, Nevada is strange one for us. But some love the heat, desert and Vegas is a huge draw. We visit Vegas once every couple of decades then quickly tire of it. I was very surprised how quickly that area has grown. Then there is Reno which has greater appeal to us simply due to its proximity to Lake Tahoe and the High Sierra. Both of those are quite beautiful if you love the outdoors and mountains. One of our wealthy neighbors from Monterey, CA lives in Reno just over 1/2 the year to claim NV residency and not get hit with CA's steep income taxes. He also likes to ski. So, it works out for him as he splits his time on the CA coast and then up in the mountains.

Derek

Old 06-13-2022, 09:19 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,972,282 times
Vegas simply has become a more affordable California. Its real estate prices, while rising, are still 35-45 percent lower than most in SoCal. Doesn’t mean your life will be better there, but if you have a somewhat limited income then Vegas is certainly more affordable.

Old 06-14-2022, 05:54 PM

5,545 posts, read 7,848,735 times
Quote:
Jobs.

A lot of CA companies have relocated to or have opened branches in NV. The unemployment rate in the Reno area is about 2.5%.

Also Taxes. Unlike CA, OR, and AZ, NV has no state income tax so not only are your costs lower in terms of housing, but your earnings go farther.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:10 PM

4,805 posts, read 3,101,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Jobs.

A lot of CA companies have relocated to or have opened branches in NV. The unemployment rate in the Reno area is about 2.5%.

Also Taxes. Unlike CA, OR, and AZ, NV has no state income tax so not only are your costs lower in terms of housing, but your earnings go farther.
And for people who define "good weather" as a cloudless sky every day, NV works well.

Old 06-14-2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
And for people who define "good weather" as a cloudless sky every day, NV works well.
Yes, there is a native Oregonian on CD who moved there and talks it up on the forum. He loves being able to dry out, get more sun and see his $$$ go further even though he still owns a bizz in PDX.

Personally, I cannot stand the lack of green which no amount of sun could make up for. But there are lots of people who like a more dry, desert like climate. It's also not without it's charms. The red rocks can look pretty cool in places like Valley of Fire. These pics were taken during a 'winter warm-up' vacation down south.

Also, the Black Canyon along the Colorado River is a nice place to paddle.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-14-2022 at 11:58 PM..

Old 06-15-2022, 09:31 AM

102,341 posts, read 108,608,428 times
Quote:

The taxes are lower. Retirees, for example, choose the Nevada side of Tahoe for their retirement location, because they get Tahoe with a significant discount, so to speak.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-15-2022 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-15-2022, 11:32 AM

1,268 posts, read 1,148,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yeah, Nevada is strange one for us. But some love the heat, desert and Vegas is a huge draw. We visit Vegas once every couple of decades then quickly tire of it. I was very surprised how quickly that area has grown. Then there is Reno which has greater appeal to us simply due to its proximity to Lake Tahoe and the High Sierra. Both of those are quite beautiful if you love the outdoors and mountains. One of our wealthy neighbors from Monterey, CA lives in Reno just over 1/2 the year to claim NV residency and not get hit with CA's steep income taxes. He also likes to ski. So, it works out for him as he splits his time on the CA coast and then up in the mountains.

Derek
The Reno, Carson City, Lake Tahoe, and surrounding areas are much, much different than Las Vegas. More similar to some Northern California and Southern Oregon climates, and drivable (or a cheap flight) back to SF for a long weekend, or as a good base for remote work that requires an infrequent visit to the home office.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
The Reno, Carson City, Lake Tahoe, and surrounding areas are much, much different than Las Vegas. More similar to some Northern California and Southern Oregon climates, and drivable (or a cheap flight) back to SF for a long weekend, or as a good base for remote work that requires an infrequent visit to the home office.
Oh yes, I know. I've spent time in both and greatly prefer Reno/Tahoe over Vegas. The High Sierra is a favorite destination of mine along with the beautiful and large Lake Tahoe. It wouldn't be a bad place at all to retire or work remotely from. And proximity to SF is also a big draw especially post Covid with more Bay Area companies allowing remote work. But no place is perfect, of course. There are pros/cons in living there. There are also some from that area that decide to move to the PNW looking for greener pastures.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon