Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,010,752 times

Advertisements

Deschutes National Forest sets eclipse road closures - KTVZ

Quote:
Deschutes National Forest officials said Monday they are preparing for an influx of visitors to the forest for the solar eclipse. While only a small portion of the forest will be in the path of totality, there will be several temporary road closures in place to promote public safety, minimize conflict and protect natural resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 02:18 PM

15,463 posts, read 9,144,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
At least they are starting to release some plans. I think those are the first real plans I have seen for dealing with the traffic..

Old 08-08-2017, 02:56 PM

653 posts, read 1,796,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't have a lot of faith in 14 day weather forecasts. Next week the 7 day forecast could look a lot different. The real important forecast will be about 24 to 48 hours before the eclipse. At that point we should have a much better idea of what the conditions will be like at the exact time of the eclipse.

At this point I'm getting more concerned about the fire and smoke situation, then the weather.
The forecast has changed 2x already today, each time getting slightly better.
I don't trust the forecast for tomorrow, in this area, and even less for the coast, however showing clouds and/or rain, means they are seeing something out there.

They already had to close off a large block of forest area that was expecting Eclipse visitors. According to NPR news this morning, the area will remain closed and they are notifying people who have reservations.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:01 PM

Here is an article on the closures for the Siuslaw National Forest.
I believe this article has been there for a while. I do remember hearing a lot of this on NPR, some weeks ago.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/siusl...d=FSEPRD533045

Old 08-09-2017, 11:34 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,720,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC7NEC View Post
Oregon is currently in the dryest spell in history with extreme fire danger. Pulling off the road with a hot tailpipe is a recipe for catastrophe.

if you honestly think that anytime after Sunday driving from the Coast to Madras or any other options clearly you have not actually planned ahead. Planning ahead would mean you would know that the state expects traffic EVERYWHERE in the path of totality or close to be at a standstill by Sunday.

Not trying to be rude at all. I get the feeling this is something important to you and I'm honestly thinking you're setting yourself up for a major disappointment with your plan.
There's no need for hyperbole. We had a wet, lush spring clear to the end of the growing season, so the ground level fuel load is pretty high. Catalytic converters on cars get red hot, but manufacturers have started installing heat shields, so they don't start fires as often as they used to. There is still hazard, but only if tall grass gets lodged in the heat shield or you stop with tall grass in contact with the heat shield.

Other than that, we have had a long run of hot, dry weather, so fire danger is high, but nothing unusual for Oregon. People should be aware that if they cause a fire, even by accident, they will be responsible for the expense of fighting the fire, which will max out their car insurance, their million dollar umbrella policy, and cost them every asset they own. If they light a fire intentionally and it gets out of control, they will be prosecuted for arson and spend a few years in the state pen. If the fire kills someone, they will be prosecuted for aggravated murder.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:29 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,077,057 times
I haven't read through this entire thread, but did search and didn't find what I was looking for. Do you think driving to/from Hillsboro to Salem will be as much a mess as the highway. My concern is getting stuck on those back roads w/no way to get off. At least, if the freeways are moving, albeit slowly, I can choose to get off, have lunch, hang out a bit for it to ease up (that's after). I'm planning on leaving super early, ugh.

Thoughts?

Old 08-10-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I haven't read through this entire thread, but did search and didn't find what I was looking for. Do you think driving to/from Hillsboro to Salem will be as much a mess as the highway. My concern is getting stuck on those back roads w/no way to get off. At least, if the freeways are moving, albeit slowly, I can choose to get off, have lunch, hang out a bit for it to ease up (that's after). I'm planning on leaving super early, ugh.

Thoughts?
Yes, I think it will be packed.

But no one knows for sure. If most of the folks follow the advice being given, and get to their viewing spot 24 or more hours ahead, then the routes South from Portland will be no worse than another August Monday.
But based on what I have been reading, I think lots of folks are planning day trips, meaning lots of traffic on all routes South between the Portland area and Salem area.

Trying to predict the traffic is even harder than trying to predict the weather (and the weather prediction seems to change several times a day now).

Old 08-10-2017, 02:37 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,077,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
Yes, I think it will be packed.

But no one knows for sure. If most of the folks follow the advice being given, and get to their viewing spot 24 or more hours ahead, then the routes South from Portland will be no worse than another August Monday.
But based on what I have been reading, I think lots of folks are planning day trips, meaning lots of traffic on all routes South between the Portland area and Salem area.

Trying to predict the traffic is even harder than trying to predict the weather (and the weather prediction seems to change several times a day now).
Maybe I should have asked....do you think it'd be a better idea, or worse, to take back roads. LOL.

I hear ya; I'm still debating on if I wanna drive. I probably will have to leave by 4am. And who knows how long it'll take me to get back.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:13 PM

15,463 posts, read 9,144,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Maybe I should have asked....do you think it'd be a better idea, or worse, to take back roads. LOL.

I hear ya; I'm still debating on if I wanna drive. I probably will have to leave by 4am. And who knows how long it'll take me to get back.
It would probably be a good idea to leave earlier than 4AM. Leaving at 4AM might be hit or miss as to whether or not you would make it in time to see the total eclipse. As for back roads, it depends on your definition of back roads. I expect the two lane highways will be the worse, If you are talking about back roads like forest roads, unless it's near an area that will be a prime viewing location, or something, I wouldn't expect a lot of traffic issues on those roads, outside of the path of totality. Right on the centerline it's possible every road could be jammed. IMHO.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:28 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,010,752 times
Forest Service closures during eclipse; Some roads, areas on public lands will be off limits

Deschutes National Forest sets eclipse road closures - KTVZ

C. Oregon campfire ban extending to private lands - KTVZ

https://twitter.com/CentralORFire/st...95729578418176
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon