Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:49 AM

75 posts, read 186,921 times

Advertisements

Corvallis and Davis are comparable in that both are highly rated for being bicycle friendly small cities. See the recent survey done by Bicycling magazine in which Davis ranked #1 and Corvallis #2 in bicycle infrastructure and the # of residents who commute by bicycle.
I have never been to Davis but isn't it in the Sacramento Valley? I would imagine the summers would be much hotter there than in Corvallis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 05:57 AM

146 posts, read 454,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
I would generally agree that Corvallis is a great place to live. Whether or not it is a good fit for any particular person is another matter. If you have school-aged children, then the benefits of the 509J school system constitute much of the reason for living there. For those without kids at home, it's still a great community, but there may be fewer payoffs to offset the dreary winter weather.

I realize this is a very old post, but can someone explain what a 509J school system is? We are considering a move to Corvallis with middle school aged children. The Corvallis schools get great ratings on greatschools.com. I would like to hear from someone who has children there now.

Also, along those lines, can someone tell me what family life is like in Corvallis? Where we are now the kids lives revolve around soccer and band/chorus/dramatics. We are more the hiking/biking/kayaking type, and think Corvallis might be a good fit for us in that way.

Also, is there alot of the suburbia "keeping up with the Joneses" there? Or does everyone kind of do there own thing?

Do most people in Corvallis work at OSU? What are the other major employers?

Sorry for so many questions! Thanks for any answers!

Ellie

Old 05-27-2010, 09:28 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,634,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogcreekwoods View Post
I realize this is a very old post, but can someone explain what a 509J school system is? We are considering a move to Corvallis with middle school aged children. The Corvallis schools get great ratings on greatschools.com. I would like to hear from someone who has children there now.

Also, along those lines, can someone tell me what family life is like in Corvallis? Where we are now the kids lives revolve around soccer and band/chorus/dramatics. We are more the hiking/biking/kayaking type, and think Corvallis might be a good fit for us in that way.

Also, is there alot of the suburbia "keeping up with the Joneses" there? Or does everyone kind of do there own thing?

Do most people in Corvallis work at OSU? What are the other major employers?

Sorry for so many questions! Thanks for any answers!

Ellie
The "509J" is just the alphanumeric code for the Corvallis School District. Nothing really mysterious about it. The Eugene School District is referred to as "4J", Greater Albany School District is "8J", etc.

You'll find a mix of both arts-focused families and outdoors-focused families in Corvallis.

There is really very little "keeping up with the Joneses" in Corvallis. In fact, many people consider driving their 20-year-old car as a badge of honor.

I think the largest employer is OSU, followed by the hospital/medical community. Hewlett Packard is next, then I think the Corvallis School District.

Good luck, and have jobs lined up before you move (unless you don't need to work or can work from home.)

Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post

There is really very little "keeping up with the Joneses" in Corvallis. In fact, many people consider driving their 20-year-old car as a badge of honor.

LOL I love this. I think we may fit in well!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 AM

Two other questions:

What's a reasonable rent for a 2-3 bedroom house in Corvallis?

What is the reputation of working at OSU?

Thanks for any info!

Old 06-01-2010, 02:35 PM

836 posts, read 1,495,933 times
Quick question:

When is the optimal time to search Corvallis for a rental? Would like to go out and stay a few days, drive around, and look for "FOR RENT" signs. Should I wait until school is out for the most places to be on the market? Is it just a crapshoot?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogcreekwoods View Post
Two other questions:

What's a reasonable rent for a 2-3 bedroom house in Corvallis?

What is the reputation of working at OSU?

Thanks for any info!
Rental costs can vary a lot based on location and amenities. I would not expect to find something for less than $1000/mo that would be worth living in. Prices go up from there. I think it would be less expensive in Albany or Philomath if you're interested in looking elsewhere.

OSU's repuatation as an employer could actually be pretty mixed depending on where you work on campus, but it's generally considered a great place to work. The wages can be low compared to the private sector, but benefits are quite good thanks to the strong union representation.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strudel42 View Post
Quick question:

When is the optimal time to search Corvallis for a rental? Would like to go out and stay a few days, drive around, and look for "FOR RENT" signs. Should I wait until school is out for the most places to be on the market? Is it just a crapshoot?
I think it depends on what you're looking for. If you want an apartment in town near campus, your best bet would be to come in late June. Students will have vacated for the summer. The next year's crop of students start arriving in mid- to late-July and usually have their housing secured by mid-August to early September.

But if you want to look around for rural rentals outside of Corvallis you could probably come earlier or later in the summer and find some selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon