Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:18 PM

85 posts, read 644,190 times

Advertisements

Which would you prefer to live in and why? What are the pros and cons of each? How does the job market compare? Does Corvallis have parks as nice as the ones in Eugene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 10:33 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,317 times
As a native Oregonian, all I can say is that size is the biggest difference. There are more jobs in Eugene, which lends itself to a little higher income. If you prefer a small town then Corvallis has the edge. You might find more things to do in Eugene than Corvallis. Lastly, they are only 30 miles apart. You could live in Corvallis and work in Eugene if you wanted to. I prefer small towns so let me apologize to everyone in Eugene by saying that I like Corvallis a little better. You will find people just as friendly in both locations. You can’t make a bad decision by choosing one city over the other. Oregon just is about the prettiest place on earth.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:23 PM

Default Thanks for the reply, Clear2land.

We're kind of leaning towards Eugene because of the job thing. Plus, Eugene reminds me of Santa Cruz, CA which I love. I'm not sure I'd want to commute thirty miles to work, since I've never driven in snow before. (I know there's not that much snow, but there is some, right?) We're hoping to get jobs relatively close to home. Corvallis is very nice, however. I guess we'll just have to visit.

Yes, Oregon is definitely gorgeous.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:51 PM

622 posts, read 2,708,913 times
Talking ha! i needed a good laugh today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserter View Post
I'm not sure I'd want to commute thirty miles to work, since I've never driven in snow before.

LMAO!

I'm sorry! it's just so comical to hear someone say that (I'm from Upper Michigan).

You will be fine. I seriously would not base a decision around that. You have nothing to be afraid of. It just takes a little practice, that's all... it's fun driving in snow!

Old 08-27-2006, 06:59 PM

Well, I don't want to drive 30 miles in torrential rain either, but I have driven in that before.

But glad I could be of service in providing you a laugh anyway, Maria Therese.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:37 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,748 times
Both are college towns too, I have to say, Im for Corvallis all the way, Im from a long line of Beavers though, so I suppose that has something to do with it. lol.
I find Corvallis a lot slower paced and calm than Eugene. Driving seems easier too. lol I get lost everytime I go to Eugene. But the shopping is better in Eugene imo. Both are terrific towns with a lot to offer though, might I suggest if you can, after you visit, and feel youre mind is made up, try renting for a little bit first. That way if you change your mind after you get a day to day feel, youre not stuck in a house morgage and all. Just a suggestion.
Good luck, and Im sure you'll love Oregon.
Tiffany

Old 08-28-2006, 04:55 PM

8 posts, read 33,510 times
I have lived in both and my overall opinion is that Corvallis is much more clean and family-oriented.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:05 PM

Thanks, Tiffany and bluepuma2004.

I did see a housing development not far from the river in Corvallis that really appeals to me, but I have to sell it to my fiancee -- he's already hooked on Eugene. I liked Eugene, too. I'm a teacher, so it just seems like Eugene has more schools for me to work in. However, Corvallis has a lot of very interesting schools, at least based on their web sites, and it's definitely cuter than Eugene. Plus, my fiancee is in technology so he might have more job opportunity in Corvallis.

We're going to come in December and see how much we like the winter weather. (So, I guess I'll be driving in that torrential rain after all.) We plan to visit Corvallis then, too.

Anyway, I think we could be happy in either place and we could always visit the other one.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:31 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,717 times
Corvallis has consistently ranked in the top two or three smaller cities in America since 1990. I would rate its liveability well above Eugene's (and Eugene is just a 45-minute drive for when you do want to go there). But for educators, Eugene would be a much easier place to get a job. For teachers, the 509J District (Corvallis) is one of the most sought-after districts in the state, and there are teachers stacked like cordwood outside of the district employment office. People with Masters and even PhDs in education subbing there in hopes of getting their foot in the door.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the info, Steve. I had read some of the Corvallis schools' web sites and they did sound like amazing, innovative schools. Too bad all those other people want to work there, too.

I'm hoping the fact that I speak Spanish and have experience working with English learners will help me get hired in OR. I keep reading people talking about the influx of immigrants to the state.

What are the factors that make you rate Corvallis so much higher than Eugene? Traffic? Air quality? Or?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon