Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2007, 11:45 AM

11 posts, read 82,558 times

Advertisements

I am a student at Kansas State University and am looking to take part in an exchange-type program at either Oregon State or Oregon. I was just wondering if anybody had an opinion on either college/town one way or the other. Really, just any information would be helpful! Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 01:43 PM

152 posts, read 878,377 times
I am definitely partial to U of O because I am a duck. My experience at the University of Oregon was great, student body is very friendly, tons of school spirit, AND Eugene is a great college town.

As far as academics go, it really depends on what you are studying. If you happen to be studying engineering or agriculture then you'll have to be a Beaver Believer at OSU. If you are studying any liberal arts, journalism, or business, then definitely U of O. Oregon has really strong business, journalism, and education departments. I would also say that in Kansas there is probably also more name recognition of the Oregon Ducks.

So thats my vote. And the town of Eugene has a lot more variety for college students than Corvallis. If you are set on going to school in the state of Oregon , then UofO is the flagship.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:04 PM

540 posts, read 2,174,190 times
Ok, and now for the BEAVER perspective! Obviously, as an OSU Alum, I am biased toward Corvallis. But I would agree 100% with elcapitan...the best choice is completely dependent upon what you want to study. OSU has excellent programs as stated above, but you should also add ocean sciences to the list...but generally for liberal arts and business UO may be the better choice. I got my MBA there and thought it was a very good school, although not nationally ranked.

Corvallis is (in my never to be humble opinion) a more comfortable small town than Eugene...and while I respect everyone's right to their own views, U of O is significantly MORE liberal than OSU in terms of the political atmosphere. Whichever suits you...have a blast, I'm sure you'll have a great experience here.

Dave

Old 05-30-2007, 08:52 PM

11 posts, read 82,558 times
Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the insight! I forgot to mention in my post that I grew up in Lawrence, KS (Univ. of Kansas) which is VERY liberal compared to Manhattan (KSU) and the rest of the state for that matter.

Though, I do understand about the academics. My main reason for asking was the fact that it seems as though several of the Geography (my major) professors attended OSU.

Anyway, thank you for your repsonses. And if you, or anybody for that matter, has any more information or suggestions, I'd be glad to read them!

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2007, 03:37 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Hi mkucza. I went to graduate school in Geography at UO about 10 years ago. Great faculty, great education. I also have several friends who attended OSU and have the same opinion of their school. If you are studying geographic techniques, Corvallis and OSU may be your best destination. If you are studying human geography, geomorphology or paleoclimate then Eugene may be a better choice.

You hear a lot about how Eugene is so much more liberal than Corvallis, but having lived in both cities I have a different take. I would say that between the university communities, UO is more liberal than OSU, but that the city of Corvallis is more liberal than the city of Eugene. Those who say Eugene is more liberal usually cite the Saturday Market and the Oregon Country Fair. These two events really are hippie havens, but from a day-in day-out standpoint my money is on Corvallis to win the "more liberal" contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon