Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:31 PM

939 posts, read 787,490 times

Advertisements

I'm re-thinking of retiring in a 55+ community. One that is relatively newer, with all the recreational and entertainment amenities ala Del Webb, including being gated.
I've Googled this about a half a dozen times recently and all I retrieve are older homes (that had nothing to do with being any kind of retirement community when originally built) in a three or four non-gated block radius, or new homes waiting to be built. I figure if I post this in the Oregon forum, someone may know of something, somewhere.
The only down side for me to living in this type of setting is not having to do any yard work, which I love to do for fun and non-exercise/exercise.
Should I map out several non-conflicting areas, and then find and assign a buyers agent to each area?
Do I deal directly with the selling agent in charge of the community?
Which areas would be more prone to have these type of developments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 01:03 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Gated communities are not popular in Oregon. The gate is a nuisance and it's not necessary. There are many senior communities.

Debbie Campbell, OR Licensed Broker - Home
Wilsonville Independent Living | SpringRidge at Charbonneau in Wilsonville, OR 97070
Beaverton Retirement Communities, 55+ Retirement Communities in Beaverton, OR

Old 09-23-2013, 01:45 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
I've heard of these Whaleshead Park Model Homes but I've never been there. I don't know if it's gated.

https://www.google.com/#q=whaleshead+cabins+for+sale

https://www.google.com/#q=Whaleshead...rk+Model+Homes

Old 09-23-2013, 02:00 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Gated communities, are in places it is not considered safe. Oregon has not reached the place that in the areas they put in senior communities that people feel they need the hassle of a gate to keep the bad element out.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:36 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,761 times
there are a bunch...in arizona!

but the gate issue aside, i've found that the people here in oregon just aren't the planned community types. IMO many folks do a decent job of creating their own sense of community without any gates or HOA type amenities.

for a comparable thing, you might look at communities such as the ones Larry Caldwell posted, that are located near (city) community centers if they don't have their own. My city has a dedicated senior community center.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:35 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
My mother-in-law lives in a Del Webb community in Florida and has for about 10 years, so I'm familiar with the concept. We're considering her moving here to Oregon and thinking that it would be nice to move into something similar, just to provider her a comfort factor--something kind of familiar to make the move easier.

Bottom line is those places really don't exist in the same numbers here. You really have to hunt for them. I've seen some in Vancouver, WA, and in Bend, OR, but again, it's not like every city has a multi-acre planned gated subdivision like they do in central Florida.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:43 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
The closest you will get is with some of the golf communities like McNary Estates in Keizer, which tend to have a high percentage of retirees. Not sure about other areas. McNary is gated on one street, otherwise it isn't gated on the main entrance.

There is on 55+ community (with stick built homes) in Salem (Salemtowne), one in Woodburn (Senior Estates), and one in Corvallis (Stoney Brook). They aren't like Del-Webb communities though.

Due to our urban growth boundaries, communities like that don't really exist.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:02 PM

939 posts, read 787,490 times
Thanks all for all your responses, and rather quickly I might add.
I probably should have been more specific though. I am considering to purchase a house in an active community as an option! Not buy or rent a condo/house!

I looked at a couple of Del Webbs north of Los Angeles approx. six years ago and the R.E. agent told me that quite a few of the homeowners travel most of the year and just use that home as a temporary resting place before they hit the skies or ocean again, thus justifying the gates...must be nice!

I like that Oregon is safe enough that it doesn't warrant gates. I'm also happy to hear that Oregonians accept new people from other states who love Oregon, as long as they don't try and clone it into the state they just left! Sounds fair and normal to me.

I just registered at a senior center in the area of the hotel I'm staying. I'll give it a try to test the waters.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:34 PM

230 posts, read 623,235 times
Hi,
You might consider reseaching areas like Bend, and Bandon, in Oregon. I recall that they do have those types of areas. Especially Bend! Gorgeous area, plenty of sun. Also, they have sites like these: Oregon*Active Adult Communities*|*50*OR* 55+ Active Adult Retirement Communities not sure if anything there is of your liking. Nice areas for retirement would be McMinnville, and the wine area below Portland.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
I'm re-thinking of retiring in a 55+ community. One that is relatively newer, with all the recreational and entertainment amenities ala Del Webb, including being gated.
I've Googled this about a half a dozen times recently and all I retrieve are older homes (that had nothing to do with being any kind of retirement community when originally built) in a three or four non-gated block radius, or new homes waiting to be built. I figure if I post this in the Oregon forum, someone may know of something, somewhere.
The only down side for me to living in this type of setting is not having to do any yard work, which I love to do for fun and non-exercise/exercise.
Should I map out several non-conflicting areas, and then find and assign a buyers agent to each area?
Do I deal directly with the selling agent in charge of the community?
Which areas would be more prone to have these type of developments?

Old 09-24-2013, 10:21 PM

70 posts, read 103,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The closest you will get is with some of the golf communities like McNary Estates in Keizer, which tend to have a high percentage of retirees. Not sure about other areas. McNary is gated on one street, otherwise it isn't gated on the main entrance.

There is on 55+ community (with stick built homes) in Salem (Salemtowne), one in Woodburn (Senior Estates), and one in Corvallis (Stoney Brook). They aren't like Del-Webb communities though.

Due to our urban growth boundaries, communities like that don't really exist.
You nailed it. Urban growth boundaries really restrict growth. There are some 55 plus communities, mostly modular or mobile home types; they're really not communties, just staging areas for funeral homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon