Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:55 AM

37 posts, read 433,367 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Probably moving up there in Aug. Haven't made the final decision, but we love everything about it. Ok, the rain is going to be a challenge, coming from the desert in CA. What can you tell me about the neighborhoods, housing, where to live, and anything else about the town would be so helpful. Like, do they have a grocery store? Thanks all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 12:49 PM

415 posts, read 705,309 times
Oh I LOVE it in corvallis and I'm not a big Oregon fan. My ex girlfriend lived close and I have friends going to school there. It's a college town, fun and peaceful overall. A lot of the locals are tweakers, but you don't even care because there are so many cool people from all over the world.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Thanks for your post. Can you tell me what tweakers are? I am a baby boomer and not familiar with this term...thanks.

Also, any other things to say about the town? Good restaurants, activities?

Old 06-30-2007, 11:51 PM

27 posts, read 201,241 times
Default We love Corvallis

We just moved to Corvallis 4 weeks ago from Hawaii. We just love it here. We found a home in the northwest section of town (seems to be the biggest section of town). In looking for houses, we were told that the northwest section was the most desirable, then the southwest, then northeast, then southeast. Almost everyday I go out exploring and find wonderful neighborhoods. There doesn't seem to be too many "bad" neighborhoods, but of course, some are much better than others. Coming from Hawaii, we will also have to get used to the rain, but the beautiful town, and very friendly people in Oregon, and Corvallis in particular, make us realize we have made the right decision. We didn't know a soul here, but as soon as we moved in, the neighbors were over welcoming us to the neighborhood and we knew we were "home". There is an abundance of grocery stores here (Safeway, Albertson's, Fred Meyer) so you don't have to worry. There is no big mall--you have to go to nearby Albany for the closest mall (about 10 miles away) and even that mall doesn't have a Macy's (which is a good thing for me!!). The nearest Walmart is 18 miles away in Lebanon and the nearest Macy's is in Salem (about 30 miles away). Corvallis does have a Home Depot, a Kmart, and numerous fast food chains. There are lots of nice sandwich shops, and we have discovered the BEST donut shop (Gramma Damma's on 9th Ave)!! There are some nice fancy restaurants in town. I am also a baby boomer, and like the fact that this is a college town, there is a lot of music and other cultural things going on. I have a 16 year old son that will be a junior in High School here next year, and I have done research on the schools and the schools in Corvallis are very good. Anyway, I am a newcomer, but if you have any other questions or want to write me, you can do that through this site. Good luck--you should come sooner than August, it is gorgeous up here right now!

Old 07-01-2007, 02:04 AM

Lebanon is the worst

Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 AM

23 posts, read 157,842 times
Default Corvallis, Oregon

Corvallis is not a warm and friendly town. It is known for being a highly educated community and they tend to be a little snooty, reserved, and cold (as if they are the only people on earth that have a college education.) Housing prices are HIGH. Except for Timberhill and the SW side, most houses/landscaping is dumpy and run-down. Highway's 34 and 20 are DANGEROUS!!! The ODOT refuses to add more signals and/or reduce speed limits and college kids speed and talk on their cells which makes traveling those highways very scary. The shopping/dining/entertainment situation is very bleak. Not a lot to do for kids/teens (a tiny miniature golf and a dumpy skating rink and bowling allley.) Very liberal community (not my cup of tea.) All in all, seen better - seen worse.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the report Lidala. Do you actually live in Corvallis? Your picture sounds pretty bleak. It seems amazing that anyone wants to live there since it is so unfriendly and dumpy...

I love the idea that it isn't in the desert, that it rains, that it is a college town, small town, and Portland is just an hour and a half away. Sounds good to me.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:56 PM

27 posts, read 201,241 times
I disagree with Lidala's viewpoint of Corvallis. Of course we have only been here a month but I have driven around for hours all over town, and the majority of houses and gardens are kept in great shape. There is a wide variety of neighborhoods, and you can get a nice 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath home with about 1300 sq. ft. under the roof and about 7000 sq.ft of property for about $235-275,000.00. Of course, there are a LOT of houses for more than that, I am amazed at some of the gorgeous estates around here. But I was able to get a nice 3 bedroom, 2 bath home with 1724 sq.ft. and 10500 sq. ft. of property for around $285,000.00. This was about the same caliber of home I had in Hawaii but it only had 5800 sq. ft. of land and I sold it for $595,000.00. Needless to say, we think things are a lot cheaper here than in Hawaii. Everywhere I have gone, people have been so nice to us. I have not run into the people that Lidala has, I guess. I would really encourage you to come to Corvallis. It has a small town atmosphere and yet a lot of cultural things associated with the University. As far as schools go, my son will be going to Crescent Valley High School next year and when we went there to register him a few weeks ago, the office staff and counselors were wonderful to us. I did a lot of research including going to GreatSchools.com and both schools seem to be very good. It does depend on where you live which school you end up in. Much of the northwest area goes to Crescent Valley. Hope this helps.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIDALA View Post
Corvallis is not a warm and friendly town. It is known for being a highly educated community and they tend to be a little snooty, reserved, and cold (as if they are the only people on earth that have a college education.) Housing prices are HIGH. Except for Timberhill and the SW side, most houses/landscaping is dumpy and run-down. Highway's 34 and 20 are DANGEROUS!!! The ODOT refuses to add more signals and/or reduce speed limits and college kids speed and talk on their cells which makes traveling those highways very scary. The shopping/dining/entertainment situation is very bleak. Not a lot to do for kids/teens (a tiny miniature golf and a dumpy skating rink and bowling allley.) Very liberal community (not my cup of tea.) All in all, seen better - seen worse.
I don't know, without the college crowd it would be one boring place.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 8,638 times
Default In the eye of the beholder

I lived in Corvallis for four years while attending the university. I moved from Corvallis to Portland but after many years the traffic finally drove me out. I am now living on the Washington coast but planning on moving back to Corvallis in the near future. I find the city's old established neighborhoods with an abundance of mature trees a delight. The combination of nice neighborhoods, the possibilities presented by the university, reasonable traffic and small town charm are very hard to beat.
In response to the negative review, I would just have to say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. After living in the high desert, the coast, small town and large city I have decided that Corvallis is the right match for me. If the reviewer views this city so negatively perhaps this is not the right match for them. Every city has some negatives but I think Corvallis gets more right than most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon