Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,211 times

Advertisements

I saw this, and you posted it in 2007. Now that you have been there awhile in Corvallis what can you tell me about the area and where would be the best area to live and what areas to really avoid? We too are moving from Hawaii. Please let me know what you know about the area. Thank you
Meli

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbsue View Post
We just moved to Corvallis 4 weeks ago from Hawaii. We just love it here. We found a home in the northwest section of town (seems to be the biggest section of town). In looking for houses, we were told that the northwest section was the most desirable, then the southwest, then northeast, then southeast. Almost everyday I go out exploring and find wonderful neighborhoods. There doesn't seem to be too many "bad" neighborhoods, but of course, some are much better than others. Coming from Hawaii, we will also have to get used to the rain, but the beautiful town, and very friendly people in Oregon, and Corvallis in particular, make us realize we have made the right decision. We didn't know a soul here, but as soon as we moved in, the neighbors were over welcoming us to the neighborhood and we knew we were "home". There is an abundance of grocery stores here (Safeway, Albertson's, Fred Meyer) so you don't have to worry. There is no big mall--you have to go to nearby Albany for the closest mall (about 10 miles away) and even that mall doesn't have a Macy's (which is a good thing for me!!). The nearest Walmart is 18 miles away in Lebanon and the nearest Macy's is in Salem (about 30 miles away). Corvallis does have a Home Depot, a Kmart, and numerous fast food chains. There are lots of nice sandwich shops, and we have discovered the BEST donut shop (Gramma Damma's on 9th Ave)!! There are some nice fancy restaurants in town. I am also a baby boomer, and like the fact that this is a college town, there is a lot of music and other cultural things going on. I have a 16 year old son that will be a junior in High School here next year, and I have done research on the schools and the schools in Corvallis are very good. Anyway, I am a newcomer, but if you have any other questions or want to write me, you can do that through this site. Good luck--you should come sooner than August, it is gorgeous up here right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon