Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 12,978 times

Advertisements

Lived in the city, chicago, most of my life but am going to try to make the move to laguna hills because of family. How would you describe laguna hills? What is the difference between LH and other oc towns- mission viejo and Laguna Niguel? I'm looking for the postives but am getting worried after reading some posts.

I won't miss the brutal winters here but will miss the the city scene- local bars, restuarants, bands, festivals. While i have seen posts about how oc is not diverse- chicago isn't that much different in ways. The city is sectioned off- each neighborhood is very insular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 07:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaquie View Post
getting worried after reading some posts.
Specifically, what have you read that worries you?

Old 04-01-2009, 07:34 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,540,036 times
Quote:
Lived in the city, chicago, most of my life but am going to try to make the move to laguna hills because of family. How would you describe laguna hills? What is the difference between LH and other oc towns- mission viejo and Laguna Niguel? I'm looking for the postives but am getting worried after reading some posts.

I won't miss the brutal winters here but will miss the the city scene- local bars, restuarants, bands, festivals. While i have seen posts about how oc is not diverse- chicago isn't that much different in ways. The city is sectioned off- each neighborhood is very insular.
All of the cities you mentioned are very similar. They're all nice suburban areas with expensive housing and low crime. Being in south OC, they're mostly white but not exclusively by any means. Don't try to live in OC without a car. But with a car, you're not too far from all of the things you say you'll miss about Chicago.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 12,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Specifically, what have you read that worries you?

Traffic is a killer, store chains everywhere, unemployment rising faster than other parts of the country, materialistic, and staunch republican (i lean liberal but with moments of conservitism), and way expensive. But i think chicago is comprable in expense- except in housing.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,462,909 times
Quote:
Traffic is a killer, store chains everywhere, unemployment rising faster than other parts of the country, materialistic, and staunch republican (i lean liberal but with moments of conservitism), and way expensive. But i think chicago is comprable in expense- except in housing.
Live close to work and you don't need to worry about traffic really.
Store chains are everywhere. People here love their Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, Macy's, Starbucks, etc... There are mom and pop and private businesses everywhere too, they just don't dominate the shopping as much.
Unemployment: Well a statistic is a statistic, and it is indeed not the best place to get a job in this climate.
Materialistic: Some neighborhoods worse than others. Laguna Hills isn't that bad in my opinion. The South OC area is comparable to the North Shore of Chicago (sort of).
Republicans: More liberals than you think there would be, but leans conservative and most local officials/leaders are conservative.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,540,036 times
Traffic can be pretty bad. I suggest working as close to home as possible. Unemployment is at levels not seen in years but OC is still below the state's average. What's the problem with chain stores? Just because they're there doesn't mean you have to shop there.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:03 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,462,909 times
Laguna Hills is a fairly small city by the way. Around 30,000 residents. Laguna Hills High School is the city's pride, and the only public high school in south OC under 2,000 students. The city has a mall in its northern sliver (most residents are closer to the MV mall though, Laguna Hills had odd boundaries) and a beautiful community center/park. The city has three housing types pretty much:

1. Apartment complexes around the city. Some older, some newer.
2. Older small or medium size track homes: Mainly north of La Paz Rd., these have some nicely established communities and well maintained homes, but are older 1970 type tracts.
3. Large Nellie Gail Ranch community: Equestrian community that dominates southern half of the city. Expensive homes, huge lots by OC standards, horses, and a mix of Ranch style equestrian properties to huge multi million dollar mansions. For an affluent community, it is a lot more laid back and humble than comparable equestrian communities like Coto de Caza.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:59 AM

19 posts, read 85,831 times
Laguna Hills is a city located in southern Orange County, California. Located Off El Toro Road in the northern most portion of the city is the new Laguna Hills Civic Center and City Hall.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:09 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Live close to work and you don't need to worry about traffic really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I suggest working as close to home as possible.

This is true, and I write this all the time myself, but it really is most applicable advice for someone looking for non-long term housing, like an apartment. For those of us (not sure what the original poster is really looking for) who want a suburban home with good schools in a pretty neighborhood (rolling hills, open space, modern intersections, uniform or themed retail architecture), we have to make decisions or trade offs to find housing. In fact, one of the reasons places like south Orange County is desirable is because it is sort of removed from heavy industrial or commercial zones or gaudy car dealerships, or loud airports or neighborhoods with archaic looking (power lines, billboards) appearances. The trade off is driving a little farther.

So, to the original poster, most of what you wrote is true, but at least the stores look nice, there is landscaping everywhere (no empty fields with trash for example; few visible chain link fences, power lines). And, no matter where you drive in Los Angeles, Orange, or (to a lesser extent) Ventura County, traffic is just the way it is. If you are lucky enough to work for an employer who lets you flex your time (6-230 or 330 for example) you can really beat most traffic.

Housing costs are coming down in the nice places too.

I'd bet most people can't tell the difference between a liberal and conservative person walking down their street anyway. I typically ignore those requirements.

Unemployment depends on your field. There are lots of jobs for engineers in Los Angeles and Orange County for example. It looks like healthcare isn't doing to bad either.

Jobs go begging at Northrop Grumman

Kaiser's vital signs defy ailing economy - Los Angeles Times

Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 AM

916 posts, read 3,709,528 times
Quote:

If you like the city then you will hate southern inland OC. My recommendation is pick the closest beach town to your work. That will be good for traffic / commuting and the neighborhood will be walkable with a little bit of culture as opposed to the the cookie cutter suburban sprawl that is MV, LH, Ladera, Irvine, etc. Plus the beach towns tend to be a bit more laid back and not as many posers trying to appear 5 times wealthier than they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County