Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 03:56 PM

35 posts, read 195,707 times

Advertisements

I have an appointment to get my license and re-register my car/get plates in California etc. at the Santa Ana DMV about 14 days after I arrive. The website said I had 20 days to change it, but someone told me it was only 10. Does anyone know how many days I actually have? And how can they tell how long I've been in the state?

Also, my insurance agent suggested I go to the Laguna Hills DMV instead of Santa Ana, but I can't get an appointment there until July. Would it be worth it to just go stand in line or is it usually really busy? And is the Santa Ana one really sketchy?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 02:27 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
If you have the auto club they can trade your plates out there quick.
I might would drive down to San Juan Capistrano or Dana Point. Should be less lines.

The appointments are just to get you in the same line as walk ins. Not much of a time saver as they appear.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:33 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,164 times
I went to the Costa Mesa office this week. I lined up early (before opening), maybe a bit too early as it never started to be that long by 7:30. Paid off though as I was out of there at 8:15 and when I left the line to get in the building was maybe 10 people.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:45 PM

566 posts, read 1,556,381 times
When I lived in SoCal (20+ years), I always went to the Laguna Hills DMV. I found the staff at that location so much friendlier and more knowledgeable than the other local DMV staff. Wait times are generally fairly reasonable, though they are all probably longer given the newly-reduced DMV operating schedules.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:49 AM

214 posts, read 650,195 times
The Laguna Hills DMV is much better to deal with. Try to make an appt if you can and that will almost eliminate your wait time.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:00 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,851,253 times
We just moved here, too, and the soonest we could get an appointment was July 12! I think we're going to just wait it out. If you get pulled over, just tell them you're in the process of moving.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,526,489 times
The Laguna Hills office is in the Leisure World area, so be careful where you park.....(not kidding). If you can do things through the AAA office, there is one on Alica, near the freeway.....and there is one in San Clemente, which is great. There is also a DMV in San Clemente, but I think the correct address might be Capistrano Beach.....it is right by the ocean......and not that far from AV. (LH is closer to AV, of course, but just watch out for elderly drivers if you go there...same with Laguna Hills mall, down at the end by Macy's and In and Out area....I am NOT kidding!)

Old 07-13-2014, 08:05 PM

28 posts, read 57,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
If you have the auto club they can trade your plates out there quick.
I might would drive down to San Juan Capistrano or Dana Point. Should be less lines.

The appointments are just to get you in the same line as walk ins. Not much of a time saver as they appear.
My personal experience with me and all the drivers in my family has been exactly the opposite. The appointments have saved us a ton of time and waiting. Just be prepared for all the dirty looks from folks in long long lines that didn't have the foresight to make appointments.

First of all, you don't need to get in that really long initial line that the walk-ins get in. You can go right to the "appointments" window. Then I have rarely waited more than 5-10 minutes later than my appointment time to get called. I have literally walked out of the building and the people in the line have moved up a couple of spaces or so.

Maybe we were just lucky but I started making appointments when people at my work carried on and on how great it worked for them. So I know we aren't the only ones.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I went to the Costa Mesa office this week. I lined up early (before opening), maybe a bit too early as it never started to be that long by 7:30. Paid off though as I was out of there at 8:15 and when I left the line to get in the building was maybe 10 people.
Have to agree. I worked near Costa Mesa and co-workers told me the Costa Mesa location was much less crowded than other offices. The two times I did go there were very short waits, even without an appointment.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgers2010 View Post
I have an appointment to get my license and re-register my car/get plates in California etc. at the Santa Ana DMV about 14 days after I arrive. The website said I had 20 days to change it, but someone told me it was only 10. Does anyone know how many days I actually have? And how can they tell how long I've been in the state?

Also, my insurance agent suggested I go to the Laguna Hills DMV instead of Santa Ana, but I can't get an appointment there until July. Would it be worth it to just go stand in line or is it usually really busy? And is the Santa Ana one really sketchy?

Thanks!
Most out of staters wait months or years to register so if a cop pulls you over for something and finds out you were so diligent and responsible to try and get things done so quick he will be overjoyed to hear you have an appointment. Even if your appointment is past the "official" deadline that most people ignore. He will be so happy he may offer you a donut and NOT WRITE YOU UP FOR WHATEVER HE PULLED YOU OVER FOR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County