Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,896,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinichka View Post
We'll have to spend some time getting to know the area when we move down next week.
This should help out too:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/orang...ing-tools.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 05:28 PM

61 posts, read 301,891 times
Pacific 2-What parts of Lake Forest do you not like? We've mainly looked East of Trabuco and in the "tree" streets.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:29 PM

THANKS Charles! I've spent a lot of time on several of those sites doing research.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,712,044 times
I don’t care for the portion of Lake Forest that’s loosely bounded by El Toro, Los Alisos and either side of Rockland Boulevard. It’s similar to the Laguna Hills area that’s near Paseo De Valencia and Alicia Parkway.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 PM

590 posts, read 1,251,497 times
Quote:
Thanks Pacific2 for the info. There has to be a reason that prices are "reasonable", right? (o: It took me a minute to decide if you were joking or not about the loud mortuary, but I don't think you are. Interesting...

Lake Forest and Mission Viejo are still our top picks for buying. I did get excited though to see the big homes on big lots in LH in the $500's. We'll have to spend some time getting to know the area when we move down next week.

it is a 33 year old home with original fixtures...and I would not call that a "huge lot"....be prepared to replace kitchen,,baths, roof, a/c , and windows first off...likely also carpet..

good luck

Old 12-07-2010, 06:21 PM

I am used to needing to fix everything, since we are coming from the Bay area where $900k homes are ALL fixers. (which is why we never bought a home here) I never saw a house that didn't need new roof, windows, complete updating, and to be tented for termites. It'll be a relief to find a home that doesn't need those things. I consider anything over 7000 sq ft lot to be a good size, but we'd love even bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
it is a 33 year old home with original fixtures...and I would not call that a "huge lot"....be prepared to replace kitchen,,baths, roof, a/c , and windows first off...likely also carpet..

good luck

Old 12-07-2010, 06:50 PM

590 posts, read 1,251,497 times
Quote:
I am used to needing to fix everything, since we are coming from the Bay area where $900k homes are ALL fixers. (which is why we never bought a home here) I never saw a house that didn't need new roof, windows, complete updating, and to be tented for termites. It'll be a relief to find a home that doesn't need those things. I consider anything over 7000 sq ft lot to be a good size, but we'd love even bigger.

I would never again buy a home over 10-15 years old...they do not need new roofs, windows, ac etc...yes tenting for termites maybe..but that is not that expensive...I would rather buy a smaller sq foot newer home...in the picture the lot lines seem very close...tho cannot see the back yard..

we have half an acre...3000 sq feet..and we could easily live in 1/3 less!!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:03 PM

I guess my real question is what parts of Laguna Hills would you live in? I know Nellie Gail ranch is nice, but out of our price range. (I would love to have a huge lot though (o Any other areas/neighborhoods you'd recommend?

Old 12-08-2010, 07:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,021,595 times
Let me expand on my previous post about that area: I have a relative who has lived on Champlain Rd, 1500' to the NE from the Hilary St address you referenced. That's the older section of that neighborhood, with homes built back in the mid-sixties when the development was known as "Capistrano Highlands". He has lived there for over 30 years, and loves how nothing ever seems to happen. It's very quiet crime wise according to him.

If I still had kids at home, I wouldn't hesitate to live there.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:55 PM

9,917 posts, read 7,809,827 times
We lived on Barents for a couple of years and loved the neighborhood, very convenient to everything and nice neighbors. The house we rented was huge but had not been maintained over the years, so we passed on the chance to buy. Living behind Alicia Parkway was a bit noisy. You should also check past records to see if there are any problems with the slope behind the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County