Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 09:38 AM

160 posts, read 148,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCM7950 View Post
As usual such a myopic view of the problem. As Americans, worse as Californians, if it doesn't directly affect you it doesn't matter??? The aquifers are running dry because they are supporting rice, avacados, and almonds among other things that have no business being grown in a desert. Forest fires and the billions it costs to fight them is a drag on the economy. Desalination plant huh? It's not up and running yet is it?? and I was there a year ago. Population growth is putting severe pressure on water resources. You can bury your head in the sand like others and pretend reality doesn't exist, but you can't hide from reality's consequences.
You think the central valley is a desert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 11:24 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCM7950 View Post
As usual such a myopic view of the problem. As Americans, worse as Californians, if it doesn't directly affect you it doesn't matter??? The aquifers are running dry because they are supporting rice, avacados, and almonds among other things that have no business being grown in a desert. Forest fires and the billions it costs to fight them is a drag on the economy. Desalination plant huh? It's not up and running yet is it?? and I was there a year ago. Population growth is putting severe pressure on water resources. You can bury your head in the sand like others and pretend reality doesn't exist, but you can't hide from reality's consequences.
Sorry but SD County is not hurting and if the Desal plant is operating

Carlsbad Desalination Project | Home

Notice I only said SD County was OK and did not mention anyone not having a problem. You seem to want to attack people who do not walk in lock step with you. The Drought is a major problem for CA, just not all of it. Check it out before posting stupidity.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:52 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,335,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwnwbrwncw View Post
You think the central valley is a desert?
As measured by annual precipitation, most of it IS. Particularly south of Fresno.

Basically Fresno, Visalia, Tulare, Hanford, Lemoore, Porterville, Delano, Bakersfield, and everything in between is, for all intents and purposes, a desert propped up only by irrigation.

There are some parts in that area...especially around the edges of the former Tulare lake bed and north/east of Bakersfield that look like a scene straight out of Eastern Colorado.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
As measured by annual precipitation, most of it IS. Particularly south of Fresno.

Basically Fresno, Visalia, Tulare, Hanford, Lemoore, Porterville, Delano, Bakersfield, and everything in between is, for all intents and purposes, a desert propped up only by irrigation.

There are some parts in that area...especially around the edges of the former Tulare lake bed and north/east of Bakersfield that look like a scene straight out of Eastern Colorado.
Agreed, but the northern part isn't... The valley goes all the way up to Redding.

The southern part is literally the armpit of California, with the anus being probably Thermal and environs.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:53 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,335,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwnwbrwncw View Post

The southern part is literally the armpit of California, with the anus being probably Thermal and environs.
Last I checked, Thermal was out in the Coachella Valley and not anywhere even remotely close to the San Joaquin Valley.

Now: re: the disparaging remarks and contempt that so many express about the Central Valley, I don't get it. I really don't. I'm guessing most of that is simple elitist snobbery (not everyone is able or willing to pay $450k for a crumbling 1200 sq ft fixer-upper in El Monte or 800k for a modern house in North Tustin just for pride of a mailing address) or else simple ignorance where the only impressions these people have of the Valley is whatever thin sliver of it they've seen while driving on I-5 or Hwy 99.

Yes, there are some truly awful places here. Most of western and southern Fresno fits this description as do many of the tiny towns like Earlimart or Orange Cove. But the Central Valley does NOT hold a monopoly on 'ghetto', 'trashy', or 'armpit' regions.

Go drive through East LA or parts of Santa Ana or smell the stench of urine walking down the sidewalks of your beloved San Freakcisco and then come back and tell me how 'bad' it is.

Yes. Much of the Central Valley is remote farmland which is topographically featureless. But that is hardly deserving of such a bad reputation. Farm land is inherently 'boring' scenery by design.

So why would that bother you?

Old 02-19-2016, 01:08 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,669,414 times
so this whole El Nino thing was a joke?

Its turning out to be..

Last edited by owl6969; 02-19-2016 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Saw thread in the California forum

Old 02-19-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Last I checked, Thermal was out in the Coachella Valley and not anywhere even remotely close to the San Joaquin Valley.

Now: re: the disparaging remarks and contempt that so many express about the Central Valley, I don't get it. I really don't. I'm guessing most of that is simple elitist snobbery (not everyone is able or willing to pay $450k for a crumbling 1200 sq ft fixer-upper in El Monte or 800k for a modern house in North Tustin just for pride of a mailing address) or else simple ignorance where the only impressions these people have of the Valley is whatever thin sliver of it they've seen while driving on I-5 or Hwy 99.

Yes, there are some truly awful places here. Most of western and southern Fresno fits this description as do many of the tiny towns like Earlimart or Orange Cove. But the Central Valley does NOT hold a monopoly on 'ghetto', 'trashy', or 'armpit' regions.

Go drive through East LA or parts of Santa Ana or smell the stench of urine walking down the sidewalks of your beloved San Freakcisco and then come back and tell me how 'bad' it is.

Yes. Much of the Central Valley is remote farmland which is topographically featureless. But that is hardly deserving of such a bad reputation. Farm land is inherently 'boring' scenery by design.

So why would that bother you?
San Joaquin Valley (Fresno, Bakersfield, Modesto, etc) is the armpit of CA. Coachella (thermal, Mecca, etc) is the anus.

2 regions 2 body parts. How is that complicated?

Old 02-19-2016, 08:11 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
We got some good rain the other day but like most things in CA.......it's full of hype.........so yeah Dallas Raines or whatever his real name is was a bit off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County