Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 12:57 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,435,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post

And they can't figure out why no one takes them seriously. I for one would not trust a climatologist to tell me what day of the week it is, much less the weather. The fact is they are just too wrong, too often.
They are politicians in training. tell you one thing and then .........................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 12:37 PM

197 posts, read 261,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Yes, we have been getting a lot of rain here. It is getting old. I miss sunny days.
LOL I've never met a more wishy washy bunch of people than Californians. WTF? Seriously you people and your weather obsessions! You complain about the drought yet you complain when it does rain. You do realize half your state is a desert? I lived 8 years in the OC and couldn't wait to get out. 90 degrees in February? NO THANKS! What a joke! The weather has been getting increasingly hot and staying hotter longer in every part of CA. It's the middle of February in the OC and this next week there are 3 days in the 90s. NUTSO!

Old 02-13-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
As usual, the pundits could not have been more wrong.

There may have been an El Niño from a purely academic sense. The actual real world picture has not been any different. And if anything, there's been LESS rain. Not more. This "epic wet winter" that they've been warning us about for what seems like hundreds of years now has been a bust and once again...the ones standing there jumping up and down screaming about it have had it blow up in their face again.

And they can't figure out why no one takes them seriously. I for one would not trust a climatologist to tell me what day of the week it is, much less the weather. The fact is they are just too wrong, too often.

The precipitation we've seen to date does not seem to be at all unusual or anything more than a typical year. And now with hot, dry, and windy....expected to last pretty much indefinitely....

Just wait till this summer............the entire state is going to be in a world of hurt........you think the drought was bad last year or the past few years...........Californians are living in lalala land lately. You guys are literally running out of water. And just like the Porter Ranch debacle government and industry and scientists seem to have no clue how to stop it or even prepare for it.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:32 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,755,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCM7950 View Post
LOL I've never met a more wishy washy bunch of people than Californians. WTF? Seriously you people and your weather obsessions! You complain about the drought yet you complain when it does rain. You do realize half your state is a desert? I lived 8 years in the OC and couldn't wait to get out. 90 degrees in February? NO THANKS! What a joke! The weather has been getting increasingly hot and staying hotter longer in every part of CA. It's the middle of February in the OC and this next week there are 3 days in the 90s. NUTSO!
I am not a native Californian. I was just saying I wanted a little sun in between the rain.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,435,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCM7950 View Post
Just wait till this summer............the entire state is going to be in a world of hurt........you think the drought was bad last year or the past few years...........Californians are living in lalala land lately. You guys are literally running out of water. And just like the Porter Ranch debacle government and industry and scientists seem to have no clue how to stop it or even prepare for it.
For some areas it will be bad. SD County has plenty of water in storage plus the Desal plant, so other than maybe some cost issues they will be OK and several other areas are in a similar situation.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:43 AM

26,768 posts, read 26,897,504 times
El Niño is the warming of ocean waters about 1,000 to 2,000 miles south of California, along the equator.

That water heats up, fueling thunderstorms that push warm air into the atmosphere, which travels north. Eventually, it falls back down to the ocean in the subtropics, at roughly the same latitude Hawaii sits.

It's that movement in the atmosphere — a circulation pattern called the "Hadley cell" — that supercharges a subtropical jet stream from Japan eastward into Southern California and into the southern United States.

But something changed this year. With the zone of warm water in the ocean particularly large and persistent, the movement of warm air above it traveled farther north than expected. That means the parade of storms zipping across the Pacific Ocean established a path over Northern California and even the Pacific Northwest — and bypassed Southern California.

Has El Niño abandoned L.A.? - LA Times

Old 02-15-2016, 08:18 AM

958 posts, read 1,149,648 times
Shocking... weather is unpredictable. Maybe gov brown shouldnt have eased up on restrictions so quickly.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:07 AM

160 posts, read 148,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
El Niño is the warming of ocean waters about 1,000 to 2,000 miles south of California, along the equator.

That water heats up, fueling thunderstorms that push warm air into the atmosphere, which travels north. Eventually, it falls back down to the ocean in the subtropics, at roughly the same latitude Hawaii sits.

It's that movement in the atmosphere — a circulation pattern called the "Hadley cell" — that supercharges a subtropical jet stream from Japan eastward into Southern California and into the southern United States.

But something changed this year. With the zone of warm water in the ocean particularly large and persistent, the movement of warm air above it traveled farther north than expected. That means the parade of storms zipping across the Pacific Ocean established a path over Northern California and even the Pacific Northwest — and bypassed Southern California.

Has El Niño abandoned L.A.? - LA Times
Sounds like good news to me. Should mean more snow pack in the Sierras.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:43 AM

19 posts, read 16,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blam View Post
I've only lived here in OC for 2 years and I keep learning new things about california. For example now I know that "storm" means there is going to be a medium rainfall for a couple hours throughout 2 days. It was almost as disappointing as disneyland.
Haha welcome to California! I wish it rained more but I don't miss the midwest weather! I'd rather be bored with good weather than to deal with freezing temperatures in the winter and ridiculous humidity in the summer. To each their own I suppose.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
For some areas it will be bad. SD County has plenty of water in storage plus the Desal plant, so other than maybe some cost issues they will be OK and several other areas are in a similar situation.
As usual such a myopic view of the problem. As Americans, worse as Californians, if it doesn't directly affect you it doesn't matter??? The aquifers are running dry because they are supporting rice, avacados, and almonds among other things that have no business being grown in a desert. Forest fires and the billions it costs to fight them is a drag on the economy. Desalination plant huh? It's not up and running yet is it?? and I was there a year ago. Population growth is putting severe pressure on water resources. You can bury your head in the sand like others and pretend reality doesn't exist, but you can't hide from reality's consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County