Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 06:15 PM

916 posts, read 3,699,515 times

Advertisements

I live in Long Beach (Naples) and commute to the Newport area. Takes about 25 minutes down PCH. I think Long Beach is great. It's a big city but more like a collection of neighborhoods so it feels small. There are parts that are as nice as Newport (and just as expensive) and there are crappy parts to. For your age I'd check out Belmont Shore and downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 11:16 PM

5 posts, read 29,239 times
Mel2882, I live in Greek Town right now. What circumstances brought you to Chicago from Orange County? Good decision? Happy about it?

Everyone else, thanks for the advice! It's much appreciated. I have a feeling that this potential job may be willing to pay me what I make, accounted for cost of living over there, plus a small raise. Honestly, I don't think the raise is enough to justify the move, but the opportunity and work environment definitely is.

Unfortunately, the counterbalance is that big city feel that I love and have come so used to living in. Driving and traffic - no big deal. Living in the 'hood - lived and worked there. I don't see those as factors. I'm more worried about this "suburban sprawl" notion getting to me in the end. I'm not saying I'll be bored - I know there's things to do in CA, just like anywhere.

Am I overexagerating the doldrums of life in a sleepy beach town or a suburb of it, and loss for someone who's grown up in rich, cosmopolitan and cultured cities? I mean, tell me if I am. The last thing I want to be is another poster who slams a city or location. I think there's something to any place and I like to think I'm adaptable, flexible and open-minded.

Once the novelty/excitement of moving and living somewhere fades, will I be in for a shock?

Old 09-29-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one.msa View Post
Mel2882, I live in Greek Town right now. What circumstances brought you to Chicago from Orange County? Good decision? Happy about it?

Everyone else, thanks for the advice! It's much appreciated. I have a feeling that this potential job may be willing to pay me what I make, accounted for cost of living over there, plus a small raise. Honestly, I don't think the raise is enough to justify the move, but the opportunity and work environment definitely is.

Unfortunately, the counterbalance is that big city feel that I love and have come so used to living in. Driving and traffic - no big deal. Living in the 'hood - lived and worked there. I don't see those as factors. I'm more worried about this "suburban sprawl" notion getting to me in the end. I'm not saying I'll be bored - I know there's things to do in CA, just like anywhere.

Am I overexagerating the doldrums of life in a sleepy beach town or a suburb of it, and loss for someone who's grown up in rich, cosmopolitan and cultured cities? I mean, tell me if I am. The last thing I want to be is another poster who slams a city or location. I think there's something to any place and I like to think I'm adaptable, flexible and open-minded.

Once the novelty/excitement of moving and living somewhere fades, will I be in for a shock?
Personally I love the sleepy beachtowns so I live in the Belmont Shore area. I have heard from people that have moved from Chicago, NY, etc that the closest thing to that environment in socal is downtown Long Beach. Maybe check that out.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:33 AM

50 posts, read 165,916 times
I would suggest looking for a place in Huntington Beach near the downtown area. Although the rents are a little high across the board there are still plenty of smaller not so fancy rentals that you could probably afford. Based on what you said, you may be willing to sacrifice a fancy apt for a more fun and interesting area. It's nothing like Chicago but still a great place to live. It is a very easy commute to Newport on PCH. There is plenty to do: swim, surf, skate, bike, play volleyball, workout, walk your dog, etc. There are plenty of bars, shops, and restaurants, along Main St. and more being built everyday. The downtown area has plenty of outgoing young people along with a good number of out of town tourists to mix it up, it is definitely more down to earth than Newport. HB has a great pier, a dog beach, a dog park, a couple of gyms downtown, a Tuesday night street fair, a great 4th of July parade, lots of summer surf, volleyball, x-sport events, a German Village with Oktoberfest, etc. As an MMA guy/video game producer with a doberman, I think you represent the exact democraphic for downtown Huntington Beach. Good luck with your move/search. BTW, Belmont Shore is also a great area but farther from Newport.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:45 AM

119 posts, read 881,106 times
I visited Chicago last year and I am, ready to move. ( I know its cold but its a helluva lot cheaper than here.) Here's the parallels, Coastal Long Beach is a scaled down version Lakeview, Uptown,Edgewater and Rogers Park( With a very very small touch of the Loop, Lincoln Park, the Near North Side, Bucktown/Wicker Park, South and West Loop areas) ranging from affordable to Expensive particularly on long Ocean Blvd. Long Beach does not have the luxury shops that you would find on Michigan Ave, or Oak St( thats Rodeo Drive and Wilshire Blvd in Beverly Hills)

South Orange County is cross Between North Shore and Barrington Areas with a Little bit of Tinley Park, Orland Park, Naperville, areas. Very suburban, Master Planned Communities. Luxury homes, generally expensive. Housing take a major hit on incomes. Good schools, shops etc.

Long Beach is Cheaper compared to South Orange County.

Freeway traffic is bad! Toll Roads are generally better because fewer people use them. The San Joaquin Toll Rd Hwy -73 take you into Newport Beach. You'll new EZ Pass similar to Illinois I-Pass which the same transponder technology as EZ Pass.
This what I know
Hope that this helps.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgclyde View Post
I visited Chicago last year and I am, ready to move. ( I know its cold but its a helluva lot cheaper than here.) Here's the parallels, Coastal Long Beach is a scaled down version Lakeview, Uptown,Edgewater and Rogers Park( With a very very small touch of the Loop, Lincoln Park, the Near North Side, Bucktown/Wicker Park, South and West Loop areas) ranging from affordable to Expensive particularly on long Ocean Blvd. Long Beach does not have the luxury shops that you would find on Michigan Ave, or Oak St( thats Rodeo Drive and Wilshire Blvd in Beverly Hills)

South Orange County is cross Between North Shore and Barrington Areas with a Little bit of Tinley Park, Orland Park, Naperville, areas. Very suburban, Master Planned Communities. Luxury homes, generally expensive. Housing take a major hit on incomes. Good schools, shops etc.

Long Beach is Cheaper compared to South Orange County.

Freeway traffic is bad! Toll Roads are generally better because fewer people use them. The San Joaquin Toll Rd Hwy -73 take you into Newport Beach. You'll new EZ Pass similar to Illinois I-Pass which the same transponder technology as EZ Pass.
This what I know
Hope that this helps.
The coastal areas of LB are comparable in terms of price to the coastal areas of OC. However the coastal areas of LB are more expensive than the inland OC areas like Mission Viejo, Irvine, Lagunal Niguel, etc.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:53 AM

111 posts, read 226,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one.msa View Post
If you're into the urban lifestyle and not the sleepy beach town than Newport and south OC are not for you. My girlfriend and I love living in Newport but if I were single I wouldn't live here.

Downtown Huntington is an option, however it's very young, maybe even too young for a 28-year old. On the plus side the beach there is full of college hotties in thongs!!

I don't know Long Beach at all other than driving through on the way to LA or picking someone up at the airport but it's an easy commute to Newport and from what I've heard it may offer the lifestyle you enjoy.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 29,239 times
Can anyone tell me a little more about Belmont Shore?

How much bigger is Long Beach than Huntington Beach? From what everyone is saying, it seems to have more of an urban feel - am I right in that assumption?

Honestly, the type of area and apartment that I live in doesn't matter to me, ghetto or super fancy. I just want somewhat of a 'neighborhood' feel. In my short time visiting NB, Costa Mesa, Santa Ana...didn't really get a sense of that. HB I saw at night - seems like there's Main St., and that's it. Am I right?

I'm starting to feel real picky right about now - maybe that's a sign.

hgclyde, you're outta the O.C., huh? Why? What's Chicago do for you that makes you want to move?

Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 PM

Belmont Shore is smaller than Huntington Beach. I would not call it urban. It's beachy. It's got a mix of families and singles and gets the Long Beach State college crowd from time to time. I think it's a tighter community than most. It's very walkable and has a relaxed vibe to it. While it's expensive it is not pretentious at all. I personally think it's one the best places in southern california to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County