Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 02:27 PM

17 posts, read 27,905 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am sure this question gets asked a lot and there are a million different answers but here goes again:

Currently, we live in the bay area and are thinking of moving out of the area further south. The main reason is for want of a change and (I know this is probably hard to believe) slightly cheaper rental costs.

We are looking at Huntington Beach or Newport Beach. We will be renting for the first 2 years at least (budget around $3800pm for at least 3bed/2bath), we are looking for somewhere with good schools (we would be moving after the current school year ends so my oldest would be going into middle school) and close(ish) to the beach. We don't need to be on the beach but a 10/15 minute drive is fine. What we really would like is a community though, somewhere with local stores, good bars (I like to watch sports in bars and not drive) and restaurants etc.

I will give you a quick background to help - we moved to the bay area from the UK 3 years ago and we like living in the US, we like the bay area for the most part but it's very, very expensive and we are beach lovers and want to live in a beachside town. On that - we also want to live somewhere with something going on, somewhere with life. Somewhere we can meet people - other families and make some friends. We are not religious so somewhere that congregates based on a church is not going to work for us. We are not looking for a quiet little hamlet (well not yet anyway). The proximity to LA is another reason for our thinking of moving down that way. We have always enjoyed our visits and stays in SoCal. My job can be 100% telecommute and my wife's job already is 100% telecommute. I only go into the office now as it's relatively close and it gets me out of the house.

So having said all that what/where would you lovely people recommend?

It goes without saying we will be taking a few trips down over the next few months and airbnbing in or around recommended areas to get a feel for the place.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 02:39 PM

298 posts, read 628,064 times
I spent a couple days with family in Huntington Beach over the holidays. I have always thought that Huntington Beach was a nice community but I think I would think twice about moving there now. They have a quite large homeless population. I walked on the beach and was approached several times and it was uncomfortable. Our family has lived there at least 30 years and are definitely feeling the difference. I prefer South Orange County to the Huntington Beach area. Newport Beach is probably better than Huntington.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:06 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Newport Beach, hands down, although it is certainly more expensive than Huntington Beach.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 AM

1,134 posts, read 404,732 times
I live in Huntington Beach a short bike ride from the water. Close enough to walk I guess. I've never felt unsafe here. Yes there are some homeless people but that's true for any beach community in So California. I've seen them up and down the coast from Santa Barbara to San Diego. It's the mild weather that brings them here from around the country.

In Huntington Beach the Pier Plaza is where they usually congregate. Some days you may see 3 or 4 there, some days several more. I see the same thing in Newport Beach. Every time. They hang around the pier and main plaza there also.

Some of the more affluent communities have their officials encourage the homeless to 'move along' more than others. At least that's my impression.

I go to the beach just about every day and I've never been approached by one. Neither in Huntington or Newport.

When I was still looking to move here I also looked extensively in Newport Beach. A little in Laguna Beach and also in Dana Point. I preferred Newport, I do think it's a nicer place to live, but it was easier to find something reasonable in Huntington Beach. There were simply more choices. I'm renting a condo for now.

Since you're planning on visiting the areas down here you'll have your own impressions after a couple visits. Good luck in your decision.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRacer View Post
When I was still looking to move here I also looked extensively in Newport Beach. A little in Laguna Beach and also in Dana Point. I preferred Newport, I do think it's a nicer place to live, but it was easier to find something reasonable in Huntington Beach. There were simply more choices. I'm renting a condo for now.

Since you're planning on visiting the areas down here you'll have your own impressions after a couple visits. Good luck in your decision.
This is the reality. Both cities have their good points. Newport Beach is simply more expensive and Huntington Beach is a bit less expensive and has more choices for renting.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:10 PM

17 posts, read 27,905 times
Thanks for the advice guys. A quick look on rental sites and it does seem there are more options in and around Huntington Beach. There are some places available in budget in Newport Beach but that's now, no idea what the market will do later in the year.

As I said we plan to make a few trips for weekends and stay in both areas.

Let us try to make this question a little easier. What are the areas to avoid based on my criteria?

Old 01-16-2018, 11:38 PM

6 posts, read 6,046 times
I use to live in HB about 17 years ago and will say, the city has done a great job updating the city. It shows MUCH better than back in the day. You really notice how much cleaner the city looks, which is great as the city has so much character to it.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Huntington doesn’t have the better schools. Fountain Valley and Westminster have bette4 rated schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County