Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 AM

44 posts, read 80,844 times

Advertisements

My daughter gave me a cd of bluegrass Christmas music for Christmas and I have been really enjoying it. It would be fun to see some bluegrass performed live and if there are some good local artists I would like to support them. And I suppose listening to Christmas music only seems "right" for a little longer so it would be great to find some new music to listen to! What establishments might cater to a new bluegrass aficionado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 AM

50 posts, read 49,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD SPOT View Post
My daughter gave me a cd of bluegrass Christmas music for Christmas and I have been really enjoying it. It would be fun to see some bluegrass performed live and if there are some good local artists I would like to support them. And I suppose listening to Christmas music only seems "right" for a little longer so it would be great to find some new music to listen to! What establishments might cater to a new bluegrass aficionado?

Try Homers down in the Old Market. That place has a good selection of Compact Discs, Tapes, and Vinyls.

When you walk in, on the left side of the store from front to back, there is a bin lining the wall. That's where you are going to find your gently used bluegrass.

As far as local goes - I do not know of anyone performing bluegrass in town. Maybe try the Saddle Creek or Benson area.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:38 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,495 times
Quote:
You might want to check out the schedules for the Waiting Room or the Holland Center for bluegrass bands coming to town. I live a few hours from bluegrass country in Virginia. 25 years ago, bluegrass bands were all over the place here, but there are only a few clubs left that will even book a bluegrass band----the genre seems to be slowly fading away. Your best bet for recorded music would be an on-line music store like I-Tunes. If you like bluegrass, check out 'Union Station', Alison Krauss, or Seldom Scene. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
There's some teenagers over in Council Bluffs that play Bluegrass. I've heard them at Bayliss Park. They're actually pretty darned good.

I know they have a CD they recorded, though I'm not sure exactly how to get ahold of it.

The Kanesville Boys. Give 'em a look.

- the kanesville boys - home
https://www.facebook.com/thekanesvilleboys

Old 01-06-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
You might want to check out the schedules for the Waiting Room or the Holland Center for bluegrass bands coming to town. I live a few hours from bluegrass country in Virginia. 25 years ago, bluegrass bands were all over the place here, but there are only a few clubs left that will even book a bluegrass band----the genre seems to be slowly fading away. Your best bet for recorded music would be an on-line music store like I-Tunes. If you like bluegrass, check out 'Union Station', Alison Krauss, or Seldom Scene. Good luck.
I think I have heard of Alison Krauss, but not the other two. I will see if I can find some of the music you recommended. Do you know of any groups or artists from the area, either past or present that I should try to find? That would be fun to hear if it exists.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
There's some teenagers over in Council Bluffs that play Bluegrass. I've heard them at Bayliss Park. They're actually pretty darned good.

I know they have a CD they recorded, though I'm not sure exactly how to get ahold of it.

The Kanesville Boys. Give 'em a look.

- the kanesville boys - home
The Kanesville Boys | Facebook
I finally had a chance to listen to some of their stuff. That is pretty good for being kids! Its impressive that young guys are into this style of music. I doubt that playing bluegrass is a real "cool" thing to do at this age. If they keep at it they might have something someday. Not sure I would pay to go to a concert though. Anything out there that would cater to a more mature taste?

Old 01-07-2010, 03:43 PM

Hey everyone! I just turned on the TV and was flipping through the channels and there is some really amazing bluegrass style music on the country music channel. Anybody else watching this right now? I would love to know who this is.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:55 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times
try homer's music

Old 01-09-2010, 01:01 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,495 times
Quote:
Hey everyone! I just turned on the TV and was flipping through the channels and there is some really amazing bluegrass style music on the country music channel. Anybody else watching this right now? I would love to know who this is.
If you really want to overdose on bluegrass, check out youtube.com

Old 01-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
If you really want to overdose on bluegrass, check out youtube.com
Thank you. That is a great idea. I didn't even think of looking there. Every you tube thing that anybody has ever emailed me has been movies of animals doing funny things or of car crashes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: