Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Her Her started this thread

298 posts, read 869,173 times

Advertisements

Just posted another thread about best places for live music and musicians and Omaha came up several times. I was originally looking at Austin but Omaha has gotten my attention. I hear that Austin is quickly becoming another LA and losing the laid-back feel. Can some residents tell me more about the music scene in Omaha? Do you get fesitvals or much musical exposure? By that I mean, Austin gets SXWS and Austin City Limits. Im mostly concerned about talent scouts i suppose. I want someplace that is down to earth yet still has opportunities. Omaha seems to be a lesser known musical gem which is what im looking for. Im visitng for a week in March. Any places in particular I should visit while Im there? Thanks for the help in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 11:00 AM

884 posts, read 1,035,371 times
Omaha is considered by many the indie rock capitol of the US along with Chicago.
Here are some links that should get you most of the info you are looking for.

89.7 The River
Saddle Creek Records
Music of Omaha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
SLAM Omaha
Omaha Music. Local Bands and Music.

That should get you in touch with most of the local music activity in Omaha.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,620,011 times
Definitely check out the Slowdown while you're here. It's concert venue/bar/offices for the Saddle Creek Records label.

As far as scouts checking out Omaha venues, I don't think it's quite like that yet. We don't have a big SXSW type event either. I would still come and check out the scene and see what you think of it.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,548,538 times
Slowdown is good

Slowdown

as is Sokol Underground Sokol Underground

which is in South Omaha

Waiting Room Lounge The Waiting Room Lounge

Benson Grind Benson Grind

PS Collective pscollective.com - Home

Mick's Music Bar Omaha's Home for Live New Acoustic Music!

and the Foundry MySpace.com - The Foundry - 102 - Male - Omaha, NEBRASKA - www.myspace.com/omahafoundry

(all 5 of these places are in the Benson area)

BTW both Subway Sandwich shop and Pizza Shoppe are in the Benson area also

Blue Flamingo at 1716 South 10th Street in Omaha has some good events there during

their Fridays At The Blue thing they do during the year

Blue Flamingo (http://www.blueflamingo.org/default.aspx - broken link)

Blue Flamingo (http://www.blueflamingo.org/eventlist.aspx - broken link)

has more info on them.

performance painters Luke Armstrong and Molly Nicklin at Blue Flamingo (http://omaha.craigslist.org/eve/661411768.html - broken link)

BTW has info on a event there in July 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: