Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:16 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,722,130 times

Advertisements

Its not exactly the "Number 1 pizza parlor anyway" and anyone will protest with you, yes even Republicans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 07:16 AM

4,171 posts, read 10,733,449 times
DTO, Glad you found someone!
The only problem with protesting protestors is that they are HOPING for an altercation so that they can get on National News to "spread their mesg". But was I not so far away, I too would be out there in a ring around them - but I would make Da**ed sure they interviewed enough of US to shout down the Westboro Loonies. And please, no one throw a punch! It gives them the attention they crave, poor pathetic insecure media-mongrels. They think it proves them RIGHT. Sense of grown up humor, please - "those poor deluded pathetic people don't know or care what Nebraskans are all about"!!!

(Trust me guys - I used to be a protest organizer in a previous life!)

Old 05-11-2009, 07:19 AM

79,313 posts, read 61,446,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Most christians aren't as extreme in their expressions on their stance on homosexuality, however many christians have the same point of view regarding homosexuality because that's what their bible tells them to believe.

A perfect example is my christian mom. She went and protested against the WBC the last time they were here at Central saying she was disgusted with their methods, but just last week she tells me she won't accept my own "ungodly" relationship with me and my boyfriend. So while she's not out there with signs saying "god hates ****" ranting about how we're dooming the country, she in fact does believe it.
There is a big difference between espousing hate and the public displays of that "church" and peoples own personal views.

Hey, I lived in the middle of boystown in Chicago and had a bunch of gay friends and they hated it when some guy with arsless chaps a pink boa and a riding crop in his hand would be portrayed as a stereotypical gay.....careful about the generalizing is all I'm trying to suggest.

Even loosely associating that crew with "christians" is sad.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:24 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,633,161 times
True, but gays don't have one handbook that we all claim to adhere to like the christians do. Fred Phelps reads the same bible as the one they use in Sunday schools.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:42 AM

But he reads it differently. I could easily say the Cat in the Hat is a message about hating Jews, but that doesn't mean i'm right does it?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
But he reads it differently. I could easily say the Cat in the Hat is a message about hating Jews, but that doesn't mean i'm right does it?
And that's the problem with the bible. People read it differently and come to different conclusions. People kill because they think god or the bible is telling them too. It doesn't make it right just because you think you're doing god's work.

The Phelps' think they're doing the right thing with their own special brand of evangelizing just like other christians do. So while most christians aren't doing what the Phelps' do, they don't necessarily disagree with the message.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:35 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,918,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Or you could just not show up. Let them know that no one gives a **** about what they have to say. This group actually makes me like the first amendment even more. No matter how grotesque or unpopular it is, I'll always be able to say what I want.
That is exactly right. They're just a group of irrelevant, uneducated misfits. If nobody was listening to them, I think they would eventually die out and go back to banging sheep on their farms.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:25 PM

Actually they are rather educated, I think they are all lawyers, they're just messed up.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:32 PM

Very true. Fred Phelps even won a humanitarian award for his work on the civil rights issue on Brown vs The Board of Education. Shocker.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Like I said before, on youtube there are tons of videos with Shirley Phelps arguing with Fox News People, all you gotta do is look up the church name(Or maybe her name) either way its almost funny and horrifying at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha