Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Out of the major 3 so far, who will/would you vote for
Hal Daub 13 72.22%
Jim Vokal 2 11.11%
Jim Suttle 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:42 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,698,089 times

Advertisements

Ok,

Hal Daub(R): He was a former Mayor who lost to current Mayor Mike Fahey in 2001, he help re-make Omaha's downtown and Riverfront to what they are today. Under his reign, The Qwest Center, our convention center and One First National Center, our tallest tower, were built. Also, he Removed several abandoned Industrial yards by the river to Start the Riverfront Movement. He basically helped make Omaha the Thriving city it is today. As Mayor he wants to lower crime and probably create more developments throughout the city.

Jim Vokal(R): He is a city Council Man who has been serving since 2001. He is part of the destination Midtown board of directors, which I think handles proposals for developments in Midtown. As Mayor, he really wants to concentrate on lowering crime.

Jim Suttle(D): All I know is he is a city council member since 2005 and used to be the vice president of HDR.

Their Websites:

http://www.jimsuttle.com/index.html
http://www.haldaub.com/
http://www.jimvokal.com/

Last edited by Raphael07; 01-21-2009 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: add websites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMinSWO View Post
On the Elkhorn issue,

It was in Omaha's best interest to do what it did and the law(whether you agree with it or disagree) was on Omaha's side. The precedent was set with the Millard Annexation and lawsuit in the '70's.
A mayor who did not annex Elkhorn and Elkhorn became too big to annex (over 10,000 people) would be considered to be Negligent to the needs of Omaha.
Of course the people of Elkhorn were not happy, who would be happy to have a part of their life forcibly changed without their input or vote.
If Elkhorn had thought ahead (at least 10 years ago or more) they could have tried to change the law, probably would not have worked, but it could have.
Plus, if Omaha had its 1971 borders, there would be only 215,000 people in the city limits today.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:28 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,283,144 times
for the record Go_Ne your bias shows a bit in that review. If you're going to summarize the candidates, give equal amounts of information.

sorry, I'm being a real jack*** tonight... When I think about loosing Omaha's indepenance in the Electoral College I get all hot under the collar... Dau represents that to me, whether he deserves it or not.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 PM

I tried to but, like I said, I have seen nothing of Suttles position, no commercials, and his website says NOTHING on his platform. I went off what I knew about Daub and Vokal and then referenced wikipedia for some history, which is why I did so little because I didn't know whats wrong and whats right on that.

And as said before, just because Daub is republican doesn't mean he'll take away the Split vote, He wouldn't even have more of a say then the mayor of Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Bennington, Wahoo, or Valley, the other cities in the district.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:11 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,622,081 times
Daub actually did say he would like to do away with Nebraska splitting electoral votes. I don't see what influence he has on it a citizen and as a mayor it would be pretty minimal if at all.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:50 PM

73,115 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Ok,

Hal Daub(R): He was a former Mayor who lost to current Mayor Mike Fahey in 2001, he help re-make Omaha's downtown and Riverfront to what they are today. Under his reign, The Qwest Center, our convention center and One First National Center, our tallest tower, were built. Also, he Removed several abandoned Industrial yards by the river to Start the Riverfront Movement. He basically helped make Omaha the Thriving city it is today. As Mayor he wants to lower crime and probably create more developments throughout the city.

Jim Vokal(R): He is a city Council Man who has been serving since 2001. He is part of the destination Midtown board of directors, which I think handles proposals for developments in Midtown. As Mayor, he really wants to concentrate on lowering crime.

Jim Suttle(D): All I know is he is a city council member since 2005 and used to be the vice president of HDR.

Their Websites:

Jim Suttle for Mayor | Home
Hal Daub for Mayor - Home
Jim Vokal : Top Level : Home
Thanks. It's more than what I know about Nebraska politics. All I knew was that Nebraska is a conservative state, and about Ernie Chambers, and that's about it.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:58 PM

14,569 posts, read 23,098,355 times
DTO, I know you mentioned on the other forum how you didn't like Daub's doomsday attitude toward the city's finances. When I called up to his campaign office one of his workers mentioned how the city could be going bankrupt in the next few years. Obviously that is pretty extreme and I doubt it would ever get that bad.

You seem to be clued into that stuff though, so what's your take on Omaha's financial situation?

Old 01-22-2009, 06:36 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,565,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
DTO, I know you mentioned on the other forum how you didn't like Daub's doomsday attitude toward the city's finances. When I called up to his campaign office one of his workers mentioned how the city could be going bankrupt in the next few years. Obviously that is pretty extreme and I doubt it would ever get that bad.

You seem to be clued into that stuff though, so what's your take on Omaha's financial situation?
Great question and look forward to his perspective... my gut feel is they are primarily looking at one of two things... first, is the cost to bring the public safety pension fund 100% flush (assuming no contract changes)... that could do it with a worst case picture of everyone continuing the spiking that occurs.... if that doesn't totally cause it, then they could be including the cost of the sewer seperation project that the Feds mandated...

The above is just my guess, but if you resolved both in the next few years without any new revenue or spending changes then Omaha might be bankrupt...

Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,622,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

First off is the city wide sewer separation project is going to cost us $3 billion. Everyone is going to see their MUD bills go up regardless of who is the mayor.

Second is the loss of tax revenue faced by the city. The suburbs have been siphoning money away from Omaha with new shopping centers, subdivisions, and office parks that were once more exclusive to Omaha. The retail offerings in the eastern half of the city in particular are poor and people have to venture to other parts of the city or Council Bluffs. Just look at the disproportionate amount of retail CB is building now? A large part of those stores business is attributed to people in the under served areas of Omaha. The city has been bleeding money out this way for years and it's one of the main sources of revenue for the city.

The police pensions that people are talking about will be a strain but I don't think it will be as big a deal as it's made out to be. It's more hype and politics, but still overblown.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 PM

14,569 posts, read 23,098,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
First off is the city wide sewer separation project is going to cost us $3 billion. Everyone is going to see their MUD bills go up regardless of who is the mayor.
The guy I spoke to at Daub's office said that Hal had tried to get this work done about 10 years ago when it would have been cheaper but no one would get on board.

Quote:
Second is the loss of tax revenue faced by the city. The suburbs have been siphoning money away from Omaha with new shopping centers, subdivisions, and office parks that were once more exclusive to Omaha. The retail offerings in the eastern half of the city in particular are poor and people have to venture to other parts of the city or Council Bluffs. Just look at the disproportionate amount of retail CB is building now? A large part of those stores business is attributed to people in the under served areas of Omaha. The city has been bleeding money out this way for years and it's one of the main sources of revenue for the city.
Well Hal sounds like the man to combat that.

Quote:
police pensions that people are talking about will be a strain but I don't think it will be as big a deal as it's made out to be. It's more hype and politics, but still overblown.
So as I understand it, you agree that the city has financial troubles but they aren't nearly as dire as Hal is saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha