Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,902,345 times

Advertisements

Ok, back to the original topic. I’m guessing a gay district would lay directly to the SW of the Old Market along Leavenworth-ish?

I think the main questions a developer or organization would have to ask themselves is whether or not they have a viable target market. (The Omaha gay demographic) If there is a substantial gay population, who would be interested in such a district and who could spearhead the development? I would guess many of the establishments would be gay owned and what establishments would make sense?

Something like a gay grocery store is ridiculous, imo, but bars, restaurants, condos/apts, shops, etc. I could see.

Seriously, what your opinions of the viability of a gay district and could it prove to be profitable with the local demographic?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,224,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
If it's up to the patient who gets in, then what if that patient is incapacitated? Who is that choice up to then?

You're choosing to ignore the cases posted here where same sex partners were denied visitation. You can't act like it doesn't happen.
What do you mean by "incapacitated"?

If your gay partner is admitted to - say - Methodist Hospital and is laying there in a coma, you go in the room. If it's cold & flu season, as it is now, you're going to be required to gown up. And if there's something infectious or contagious going on, you're probably going to be kept out of the room JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE.

You continue to cry wolf here, and it's diminishing your case.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Ok, back to the original topic. I’m guessing a gay district would lay directly to the SW of the Old Market along Leavenworth-ish?

I think the main questions a developer or organization would have to ask themselves is whether or not they have a viable target market. (The Omaha gay demographic) If there is a substantial gay population, who would be interested in such a district and who could spearhead the development? I would guess many of the establishments would be gay owned and what establishments would make sense?

Something like a gay grocery store is ridiculous, imo, but bars, restaurants, shops, etc. I could see.

Seriously, what your opinions of the viability of a gay district and could it prove to be profitable with the local demographic?
I guess my bigger question is, why would gays want a gay district at all? I keep hearing how they want equality. But that's not equality. It's separation, not inclusion. It sounds like gays want to be treated just like everybody else - but treated differently at the same time. And it's a paradox.

Regarding a Gay District in Omaha, I think it's fiscally ridiculous. When you have a store/district that basically says, "We don't want you here!" to 90+% of the general population, it's not apt to work very well. And we saw (or failed to see) what happened with the big DOMA protest downtown a couple weekends ago. A couple dozen gays showed up. I just don't think there's a demand for a Gay District in Omaha.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:04 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,622,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
What do you mean by "incapacitated"?

If your gay partner is admitted to - say - Methodist Hospital and is laying there in a coma, you go in the room. If it's cold & flu season, as it is now, you're going to be required to gown up. And if there's something infectious or contagious going on, you're probably going to be kept out of the room JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE.

You continue to cry wolf here, and it's diminishing your case.

There's no point in arguing this with you anymore. I know you're smart enough to know better but now you're just being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
I guess my bigger question is, why would gays want a gay district at all? I keep hearing how they want equality. But that's not equality. It's separation, not inclusion. It sounds like gays want to be treated just like everybody else - but treated differently at the same time. And it's a paradox.

Regarding a Gay District in Omaha, I think it's fiscally ridiculous. When you have a store/district that basically says, "We don't want you here!" to 90+% of the general population, it's not apt to work very well. And we saw (or failed to see) what happened with the big DOMA protest downtown a couple weekends ago. A couple dozen gays showed up. I just don't think there's a demand for a Gay District in Omaha.
I don't think there would be a concerted effort to say "Ok this is the gay part of town". Things like that happen naturally and it's already been going on for quite awhile here. There are lots of gay places DT but there isn't an organization binding all of these places together. It's just where it was ok for us to be us and it went from there.

Now why would gays like the idea of our own area? Well maybe because some of us don't feel comfortable in situations straight people would never dream of.

I'll use myself as an example. In an hour I'll be meeting a friend for a lunch date. I will greet him maybe even hug him when I see him. If he was a she no one would bat an eye at it, but two men hugging isn't something most people see everyday and god forbid the wrong person should see you do it. After I say hi we'll go into a restaurant and sit down as a couple and eat. People may point and gawk (this used to happen with an ex of mine all the time because he was a lot more obvious than me) and we'll no doubt hear their whispers and see their stares. After lunch we'll go to leave and like any other normal couple we'll want to hug and kiss goodbye. Again, if he was a she no one would even notice. It was one thing when we hugged at the car and ate lunch together but now we're kissing each other in public. That's a whole new level of bravery over something so trivial that straight people do all the time.

Now if there was some part of town where the business were gay friendly (and there are) we might go out there and have a normal evening just like everyone else.

yes gays want equality but we're not going to kid ourselves that just because the laws may be on our side some people will never be. It's just a natural thing for people to want to be around like minded people. Bikers with bikers, runners have running groups, people naturally subdivide with what they're comfortable with. It's no different for gay people.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:26 AM

I hug men, who are my friends, all the time. I guess I've never noticed whether somebody looks at me, wondering if I'm gay.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:33 AM

Kiss one of them one time and see what happens.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Kiss one of them one time and see what happens.
Why would I kiss them?

And, for that matter, why would I kiss a woman that is not my wife?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
It's just a natural thing for people to want to be around like minded people. Bikers with bikers, runners have running groups, people naturally subdivide with what they're comfortable with. It's no different for gay people.
So when it's all said and done, you know full well that you already have that.

You also say that you want equality. But part of what you're after isn't about equality - it's about special treatment. Besides, a gay district would make it just that much easier for gays to remain separate - which is apparently what you DON'T want.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:24 PM

482 posts, read 1,333,161 times
I find it very strange that there are people in this world that get upset when they see two people that are in love. Maybe their own love life is so crummy that they have to knock other people. Heaven forbid that someone be happy. Maybe it goes against everything these people believe in to have a fulfilling life with someone you love. Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha