Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 AM

31 posts, read 81,297 times

Advertisements

SurfO I couldn't have said it any better myself!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 AM

109 posts, read 257,251 times
Surf I totally agree with you on those topics and it hard to argue for Amendment 416 if the whole religious marriage issue is taken out (which the State should not be taking part in a religious ceremeony in the first place). Just keep the issue about State benefits and the other side's argument is thrown out the window. By the way your last few posts have been good and do much to help the good cause. Like Gold Five said in Star Wars IV: A New Hope "Stay on Target!"

Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,899,900 times
Oh man, Star Wars referrences...

Old 01-19-2009, 01:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
If you had any clue about the issue here in Nebraska, you would know that gay marriage, gay civil unions, and gay domestic partnerships are banned in Nebraska, by Nebraska's gay hating amendment, formerly known as Initiative 416, passed in 2000. Any state law passed to allow a gay person's lifepartner in Nebraska any guarantees of the other possessions would violate this amendment as it is worded, period. Go to the links I posted!!! Any acknowledgement of some type of same-sex relationship is banned in Nebraska by this amendment.
I obviously do not live in NE so can not argue with this. I believe you as I usually trust you have some idea what you are talking about even if I do not agree with you most of the time.

I still have a couple of issues with what a few are saying: 1-no one can stop you from leaving your money to whomever you choose, no one can stop 2 people from buying property together and no one can stop someone from deciding who can be given medical information (this is a federal law) thus we are down to only a few issues.

That being said, I brought us the subject of protesting last week and no matter what, protesting does more harm than good as too often it turns violent. Why is it, often (not always) the same people who think protesting is totally acceptable to prove a point, even if violence arises are the same people who are opposed to capital punishment, abortion, war, etc?

Nita

Old 01-19-2009, 01:57 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That being said, I brought us the subject of protesting last week and no matter what, protesting does more harm than good as too often it turns violent. Why is it, often (not always) the same people who think protesting is totally acceptable to prove a point, even if violence arises are the same people who are opposed to capital punishment, abortion, war, etc?

Nita

Well as MLK once said: "A riot is the language of the unheard." It shouldn't have to get to that point, but among the voiceless it sometimes does. It would help if more people listened I suppose.

Have a peaceful MLK day.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,620,594 times
Quote:
I still have a couple of issues with what a few are saying: 1-no one can stop you from leaving your money to whomever you choose, no one can stop 2 people from buying property together and no one can stop someone from deciding who can be given medical information (this is a federal law) thus we are down to only a few issues.

Nita
1. Nebraska's law does not even let 2 people of the same sex (whether they are gay or not) do any of those things you just mentioned. Before the law was passed people were saying that the way it was written that even things between family members or business partners could be illegal. Nebraska has the most over reaching law in the country.

2. Not all protests are violent. I would imagine most aren't but you've got to raise awareness somehow.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:42 PM

605 posts, read 1,199,352 times
Quote:
I obviously do not live in NE so can not argue with this. I believe you as I usually trust you have some idea what you are talking about even if I do not agree with you most of the time.

Nita
If you visit the three links I posted, you would see a few examples of what gays have to deal with here in Nebraska. Remember Nebraska: the good life? IMHO, Its Nebraska The Good Life 4 Bigots. Bigots as in people who came up with, supported and voted for Initiative 416.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:58 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,222,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
1. Nebraska's law does not even let 2 people of the same sex (whether they are gay or not) do any of those things you just mentioned. Before the law was passed people were saying that the way it was written that even things between family members or business partners could be illegal. Nebraska has the most over reaching law in the country.

2. Not all protests are violent. I would imagine most aren't but you've got to raise awareness somehow.
I'm simply calling BS on this one. A friend of mine and I have been talking about buying dilapidated houses, then fixing and selling them.

Both names on all the papers.

No problem.

We might have to incorporate, for tax purposes, but we'd want to do that anyway.

I'm also calling BS on these claims of "denied hospital visitation rights." It's simply not true. I do business in hospitals all the time - and there is NOBODY that is denied visitation to a non-restricted patient, unless said visitor has a contagious disease. This isn't the 50s, when they didn't let anybody under 15 in the hospitals. It's 2009 now.

In other words, it's high time for people to stop constantly pulling out the victim card. It gets old - especially when it's not true.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:26 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,694,412 times
*sigh* 3....... 2............

Old 01-19-2009, 05:50 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,620,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
I'm simply calling BS on this one. A friend of mine and I have been talking about buying dilapidated houses, then fixing and selling them.

Both names on all the papers.

No problem.

We might have to incorporate, for tax purposes, but we'd want to do that anyway.
I'm sure as far as business partners goes this law would be akin to a "don't tie your horse here" law. No one is going to enforce it. However there were many people, including people in the legal community, who brought this up before the initiative was voted on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha